General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Prawnyloks
(newbie) Thu 01-Apr-21 18:58:01
Print Post

Switching from Openreach based ISP to Cable

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My contract with PlusNet is up for renewal quite soon and tbh the speed isn't the best it could be. I've had an ongoing issue for a few years and suspect it is because I've been moved to "the dodgy spot" in the cabinet. Up till now I've been getting round the issue by requesting DLM resets periodically when my speed drops below a certain threshold. This hasn't been too big a deal, but obviously isn't ideal. Unfortunately the cabinet is full, for now...

Virgin have now been round, and finally after years of waiting, installed throughout our estate. So thinking it might be time to jump ship.

My main question is, can you temporarily overlap the two different broadbands to ensure complete coverage while the new one kicks in fully?These are two completely different technologies, so I would have thought it should be possible. I want to ensure that I have a seamless transfer from one to the other with no downtime, so not to interrupt WFH.

Once I'm happy the new one is fine, then I can cancel the old one. Anyone ever done this?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Apr-21 20:41:48
Print Post

Re: Switching from Openreach based ISP to Cable

[re: Prawnyloks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Prawnyloks:
Once I'm happy the new one is fine, then I can cancel the old one. Anyone ever done this?
Yes moved from Plusnet to Virgin Media, and yes had both working and then gave my 30 day notice to cease Plusnet. It means you have to pay for two for a bit!

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Apr-21 21:13:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sure: the only issue you might have is if you want to take a voice service from Virgin *and* transfer your existing landline phone number from Plusnet.

There is a good opportunity here to transfer your phone number to a VOIP provider should you wish, after Virgin is installed. The number transfer will automatically cease the Plusnet phone line *and* broadband, when it completes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Apr-21 21:29:16
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
The number transfer will automatically cease the Plusnet phone line *and* broadband, when it completes.

Virgin now only do voice through their Hub 3 (or Hub 4 for Gig1) - so I took the opportunity to do my own VoIP with an ATA, exactly as you described. 18 months ago smile

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Prawnyloks
(newbie) Fri 02-Apr-21 16:24:54
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. Should work like I thought then. Not really too worried about keeping the landline. Rarely use it other than to answer annoying sales calls, so could be a blessing in disguise!
I'll most likely let it overlap for a month and obviously will pay for the two services at that point.

Just out of interest, Virgin's cheapest deal is £27.99, which is more than enough for my needs. The small print states it'll be £51 after an 18 month contract. Is this ever actually the case, or are there usually decent deals to be struck at renewal time like most companies? Don't really want to be messing about changing companies every 18 months if I don't have to!

Finally, has anyone ever had virgin installed in an upstairs room? My landline is currently this way. I'd really prefer to keep my Mac hardwired to the router if at all possible. Much more stable for my needs, and everything else can be on wifi then. I guess there would be extra installation costs involved here too.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Apr-21 14:18:18
Print Post

Usually you should be able to negotiate a new deal, as you say just like other companies. Of course if you don't get a new deal with Virgin then your only option may be to go back to a poorly performing VDSL connection.
Standard User HughA
(learned) Wed 07-Apr-21 14:42:02
Print Post

Virgin happily installed my connection to an upstairs room. They ran the cable up the front of the house and through the wall into my spare bedroom. No extra cost involved.
  Print Thread

Jump to