General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Wed 07-Apr-21 09:14:03
Print Post

How do FTTC migrations work

[link to this post]

As per the subject - what order do FTTC migrations work? (within the BTW network)
I've been given two dates - the first one for broadband and the second for phone line. I always assumed they'd be migrated together, but I guess there's no reason for one providers phone service to work with anothers broadband service? It's just different login details right?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Apr-21 09:49:57
Print Post

Re: How do FTTC migrations work

[re: gromit69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gromit69:
As per the subject - what order do FTTC migrations work? (within the BTW network)
I've been given two dates - the first one for broadband and the second for phone line. I always assumed they'd be migrated together, but I guess there's no reason for one providers phone service to work with anothers broadband service? It's just different login details right?

They're essentially two different services, so there's no requirement to migrate simultaneously.

1. the FTTC service terminates on a port in a DSLAM card inside the FTTC cabinet

2. the analogue phone signal terminates on equipment in the exchange

It is also possible to take (1) without (2) - it's called SOGEA. Then there is no analogue voice signal on the copper line at all, although the provider may offer a voice service as VOIP. All services will be like that by 2025.

When migrating the FTTC service, normally there is no physical change at the cabinet (*), but the data traffic associated with that DSLAM port is rerouted to a different provider's interconnect via a software reconfiguration. At that point, you'll need to start using the login details from the new provider.

(*) I am told that there is a risk that if the cabinet is full, the migration may temporarily free up the DSLAM port and it could be taken over by another person who is waiting for FTTC.

Edited by candlerb (Wed 07-Apr-21 20:28:26)

Standard User gromit69
(committed) Wed 07-Apr-21 15:30:31
Print Post

Re: How do FTTC migrations work

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thank you - that makes complete sense.

I guess I was picturing the change being physical like in the early days, or with LLU (I've not migrated for about 7 years). I guess it's all automated switch over now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to