General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 14-Mar-13 10:22:27
Print Post

Re: Reins issue and FTTC

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gingerjumper:
I was told that the phone lines come into the building through a network that also houses the power lines for the lift and so cannot be separated.

That doesn't surprise me, when our workshop was built the telephone cable to the workshop was run in with the 3 phase cables, fortunately the broadband is connected before this.

In reply to a post by gingerjumper:
On average I drop about once or twice a day depending on how much the lift is used.

Sounds like an "Out of order" sign is required for the lift. wink

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 14-Mar-13 14:37:27
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

@ronski a few of my fellow tenants have discussed doing a 'big bang theory' and the lift having a wee accident....was just a joke though smile

Thank you for all the advice, it sounds like its going to be a case of suck it and see. If anyone from Plusnet reads this I would like to know if there any teams put there who could help me should I find I get disconnected a lot?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 14-Mar-13 14:49:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The DLM system that runs on FTTC services will increase the target noise margin to compensate for issues

DLM used by FTTC does *not* alter the target noise margin, ever. It uses different tactics. This is a different variant of DLM, and is considered more "modern" and more suitable nowadays - but how it will work in your case will be interesting. Sorry - I can't remember the names of the two variants at the mo.

The first interventions usually involve turning on FEC and interleaving. If these aren't enough, then the amount of FEC can be increased, and the "spread" of interleaving can be increased.

If these interventions still aren't enough, then DLM reverts to the next stage... which is to limit the sync speed, also known as "banding".

That last type of intervention will reduce your sync speed directly - and as a consequence, your SNR margin will lift.

If this banding isn't enough, then you may get banded to a lower speed, with higher consequent margins.

Openreach don't allow ISPs to alter margins, or to reset the DLM system. They *do* advertise that the line can be set to one of 3 "stability" levels - which alters the threshold values used by DLM when deciding whether to intervene. However, I haven't come across a single case where this setting has been altered - or where an ISP has even indicated that they can make this change.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 14-Mar-13 17:26:04
Print Post

I have read (but cant remember where) that zen use the speed (gamer) profiles.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 14-Mar-13 17:44:00
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Good to know that. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere though...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 09:54:27
Print Post

Even if you do not get the lines moved, getting the modems closer to to where the lines enter the building will reduce some of the received RFI.

As the lift moves there will be a large pulse and you have a long aerial to pick it up. Shorten the aerial and less will be received ...

Every little may help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to