General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 21:21:33
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I did think about it but I have read about mixed results, ill float the idea via AA ISP though
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Mar-20 09:17:07
Print Post

[re: RSR1] [link to this post]

AA can do a true properly bonded connection so there shouldn't be any issues, there is a guy on the Isle of Skye that's bonding 4 ADSL lines with them.

It will also give you a level of redundancy if there's a fault on one line, the other will still work.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 13-Mar-20 09:27:54
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Yes, have had good results bonding with AAISP, this is two VDSL2 lines:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15840913882...

Ignore the upstream as my Juniper SRX router can only session load balance it (so two threads at a total of ¬40 megabit/s).
Downstream is round-robin by AAISP.

Before the FTTC I have also bonded 3xADSL1 lines with them. Can throughly recommend the service.

You might want to consider the packaged solution with the FireBrick. If technical RouterOS does a good job and can per-packet the upstream to bond it (single thread 40 megabit/s). I use a rack-mount SRX with VDSL cards in it for a single box solution.

Edited by deleted (Fri 13-Mar-20 09:32:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Tue 17-Mar-20 13:14:26
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

As we know from reading the various FTTPoD threads from initiating the process of ordering FTTPoD to actually getting it installed can take many months, sometimes over a year.

So my question, against a background of a rapidly increasing FTTP deployment, if I was to initiate a FTTPoD order, and FTTP rollouts were heading my way, how late in the FTTPoD order would OR cancel it to install FTTP as part of their rollout?

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-20 14:22:10
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
So my question, against a background of a rapidly increasing FTTP deployment, if I was to initiate a FTTPoD order, and FTTP rollouts were heading my way, how late in the FTTPoD order would OR cancel it to install FTTP as part of their rollout?

There's was one case posted here of someone who paid for survey, and the survey result said that native FTTP was coming so the order was cancelled. That was Oct 2018, with the native FTTP planned for Mar 2019 (and actually delivered then too).

Otherwise: I guess once you've paid, you've entered into a contract for service. Openreach *could* cancel it if native FTTP were to overtake it, but wouldn't be under any obligation to do so.

In Fibre First locations they have an 18-month forward plan, so if this is true elsewhere in their planning, hopefully you'd get at least an 18 month clear window. This might only translate to 6 or 12 months of benefit from the FTTPoD service though, so it's certainly a risk.
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Mon 11-May-20 17:01:10
Print Post

[re: RSR1] [link to this post]

Another FTTPoD data point. Provider is Cerberus, premises are in a village in the West Highlands, estimated distance to aggregation node 600-799m.

2020-03-13 quote request submitted
2020-03-27 desktop quote - £33,000 + VAT
2020-04-27 openreach surveyor on site (delayed due to covid-19)
2020-05-11 confirmed build charge - £9,032 + VAT

Labour -- £4,830.00
Contract Labour -- £649.00
Civils -- £924.00
Stores -- £3,584.00
BT Connection Charge -- £495.00
Deduction -- £-1,200.00
Field Survey charge paid -- £-250.00
Total -- £9,032.00
Standard User darren_mccoy
(learned) Tue 12-May-20 19:05:28
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

Are you going to go for it?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 12-May-20 20:56:09
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

I paid for a survey about end of 2018, Openreach came out months later and surveyed my street. Came back with almost 10K quote which I decided not to proceed with.
Fast forward to January this year, Openreach were out in the van loads doing my street anyway, and as of may 8th went live.
Unable to order currently due to BT pulling FTTP sales from their website, but hopefully next month can sort my order out 😀
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Wed 13-May-20 14:02:58
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

Are you going to go for it?

Very likely. Just waiting for Openreach to confirm what they have quoted for (the Openreach surveyor asked for two quotes to be generated: (1) for Openreach to build end-to-end, (2) for me to complete the section across my property; they've only provided one number with no further explanation, hence the ambiguity...).

@bomber456, We're all going to have FTTP by 2025, aren't we? smile I don't think it will come terribly soon to my village...
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 21:09:09
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

Looks like I maybe back on the FTTPoD order list, as I am not sure what BT are doing at the moment, even though we are still in lock down.

Over the past few months I have had the following from BT:

March 2020

Thanks for getting in touch with us about fibre broadband availability in your area.

I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for fibre broadband.

The good news is that your postcode is in our plans to install our Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) technology in this area. This is a complex technology for us to install, but it delivers ultrafast speeds.

If all goes according to the plan and we don't come across any unexpected surprises, we hope to complete the work and start taking orders by December 2020. But I should add that this is likely to change if we come across any issues along the planned cable route.

The I had this at the start of the month directly from Open Reach.

We are very happy to let you know that we've recently announced plans to start upgrading the network in Chelmsford, and our initial planning work will include your street. In the near future, you may see people working on behalf of Openreach in your area. Be sure to say "hi" if you see them.

It can take a year or more to finish your local network upgrade. Much of the time, you may not actively see us because we're meeting with local councils, landlords and highway authorities to get all the necessary permissions to install the new Openreach kit. Then we work on installing new equipment in our local exchange and other parts of town to get the fibre to your street.

Then today I have had the following:

Thanks for getting in touch with us about fibre broadband availability in your area.

I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for FTTP(Fibre to the premises) broadband. And I'm afraid at the moment we don't have any plans to upgrade it.

An option that many local groups - who want faster broadband - are taking is a Community Fibre Partnership (CFP). A CFP is where we work with a local group representing two or more premises to bring superfast, or ultrafast, to an area. Where possible we bring together funding from local authorities, Government voucher schemes and other grants to help make things affordable - plus we contribute toward the cost in line with our own commercial model too.

At present, around 800 communities across the UK have signed up for a CFP with us via this scheme. We'll never say no to bringing fibre broadband to any community, so anyone interested in this option can

It even looks to have been removed from the FTTP checker site, as its no longer listed as coming soon, so I have no idea what the plan is with at the moment.

So I may have to replace my order with Cerberus for another FTTPoD order, so I may check again at the start of next month and go from there.

I have also moved my line away from AA ISP as I really wasn't impressed with there service, so I have managed to correct the problem myself somewhat and moved it back to Zen.

Edited by RSR1 (Mon 18-May-20 21:12:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to