General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Charlie_B
(newbie) Thu 16-May-19 11:22:05
Print Post

Mobile Phone Texts Filling up quickly

[link to this post]

I have just joined the forum so I'm struggling to find my way around and have not found a section that seems to address my problem so I ask you to be patient with this newbie - trolls please stay away.

I have had a TalkTalk mobile SIM as part of my package for several years, until recently it was free but now TalkTalk is charging for it.

I don't use the mobile a lot but the text is useful for communicating with a few people.

Since TalkTalk has begun charging for the SIM I have noticed that every day or so my phone is saying that it is full up even though it hasn't been used much nd I have taken all old messages - received and sent - off.

Has anyone else had this problem or can offer any suggestion as to why this is happening and what to do about it?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-19 12:03:08
Print Post

Re: Mobile Phone Texts Filling up quickly

[re: Charlie_B] [link to this post]

What phone do you have? Exactly what is the message saying is "full up"? Is there anything else on the screen to suggest what is "full up"?
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 16-May-19 12:16:36
Print Post

Hi Charlie - No idea what the solution is, but you've come to the right place to find out. People here are generous with their help and advice. Good luck!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-19 12:34:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Could it be that the overall storage for the phone IS full, stuff like photos and music, the notifications from various apps, all take up space, so these could be restricting what space is left for messages ?

Telling what make and model of phone might help others to help you also.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-May-19 12:51:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

SIM cards have very limited storage space, so it is possible that text messages are being saved to the SIM rather than phones main memory which will be a lot larger.

If its an iphone then this is not the issue as iphones don't store text onto the SIM but believe it is something that can be changed in the settings on Android based phones

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-19 17:04:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That was where my thoughts were going but need to know the phone model first and the actual message.

My other uncharitable thought was the post may not be genuine but I hope it is and answered on that basis.
Standard User Charlie_B
(newbie) Fri 17-May-19 16:59:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi Thanks for all replies - the thread is genuine.
The phone is a very old Nokia - no frills, no camera & no picture capacity which belongs to my wife and is the only mobile we have. She only needed to clear out messages occasionally to make more room until fairly recently when it was happening regularly even though she had not sent or received any greater quantity of texts. It did however appear to become a problem after TalkTalk started charging extra for the service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-May-19 18:01:42
Print Post

Nokia phones usually had a change where texts are stored option, so you need to check what that is set to.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Fri 17-May-19 18:27:40
Print Post

How much do you use your mobile? If low-time user like ourselves, you might be better to dump TT and go with PAYG on Three, 3p a minute on voice, 2p per text, 1p per MB data. Coverage is better than other providers particularly in West Wales where we holiday.
Standard User burble
(member) Fri 17-May-19 20:01:03
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
How much do you use your mobile? If low-time user like ourselves, you might be better to dump TT and go with PAYG on Three, 3p a minute on voice, 2p per text, 1p per MB data. Coverage is better than other providers particularly in West Wales where we holiday.

Or 1pmobile for low users.
Although when TT stopped the free plan I went with their offer from O2 which is £3/month.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to