General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Curious_Child
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-19 23:18:55
Print Post

How long should an ADSL connection last?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I noticed that I had a really pretty fair connection for maybe 10 days, maybe a bit more or less than 10 days.

In the last 48 hours or so, the upload speed more or less halved. From 1100 or a little more to about 500 or so right now.

Now I am starting to wonder about how long a good connection with ADSL can reasonably be expected to last or remain fairly stable. I understand periodic over night engineering where the ADSL is lost and then returns at or about the same speed as before, and it's not that sort of thing I am referring to.

I might be wholly unrealistic to feel that a month seems a fair amount of time for it to last.

What might average duration look like these days?

Dropping the connection, then reconnecting a little later no longer seems to fix things. 10.2 db on both up and down margin is not a familiar figure either. Maybe 6 for one, and as much as 25 for another is something more familiar, 10.2 is a bit of an anomaly. <shrug>

Cheers
C C
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 14-Jun-19 09:44:12
Print Post

Re: How long should an ADSL connection last?

[re: Curious_Child] [link to this post]

I have had ADSL connections running for 6 months without an issue.

There are many reasons why one can fail or reset or reboot. Power cut, lightning, external noise, line cut, line works, interference, exchange reset, ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Jun-19 12:59:30
Print Post

Sounds like a line fault... Most people turn it on and forget about it. The sync will remain relatively constant with the odd drop once in a while, usually returning back to relatively the same speed once it resyncs.

I have fibre now, but no drops to speak of.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-19 19:39:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Curious_Child:
Hi all,

In the last 48 hours or so, the upload speed more or less halved. From 1100 or a little more to about 500 or so right now.

Now I am starting to wonder about how long a good connection with ADSL can reasonably be expected to last or remain fairly stable.

Odds on a box is now full of water after all the rain..

Get a spell of dry weather and watch it go back up again.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
  Print Thread

Jump to