General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jul-19 09:02:50
Print Post

Re: TO THE MOON AND BACK

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Well you still have the option to refuse the call, and even block the number.

I certainly wouldn’t answer a call from someone announcing themselves as ‘Visa Security Department’ and hope you wouldn’t either.

Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 21-Jul-19 09:14:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Out of interest, how would the ‘Visa Security Department’ (or similar) get in touch with you if you wouldn't even answer?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 21-Jul-19 10:33:49
Print Post

The phone system announces who they claim to be when you start to listen to the call. Only then do you decide whether or not to accept the call, always allow it, drop it, or drop it and ban the number.

It would be the card issuer, not Visa. I’ve forgotten how they call, as it’s years since that happened. I think you get a message to call them and have to find the number off their website or from a card statement.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 21-Jul-19 10:38:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User busterboy
(member) Sun 21-Jul-19 11:32:11
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Best thing I ever bought. laugh

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig6exbk42b0pywt/phone.jpg?...

BTBroadband
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 21-Jul-19 12:47:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Indeed, Rob, just trying to point out it is not the panacea for all ills - you could still be 'fooled' into answering if the announced name is relevant to you. Also, how does it work with 'ansaphones'?

The system I use is caller display and to block all undeclared incoming numbers and not pick up on any '00' incoming unless I am expecting.a 'foreign' call. Works 98% of the time. Also a bit cheaper! There is NO simple cure-all answer to the problem, but a bit of intelligence eliminates most. The others I am quite rude to.......they do not call back...

I DO appreciate, by the way, "It would be the card issuer, not Visa." - it was ONLY an example!!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jul-19 15:04:21
Print Post

No, it’s not a panacea, but it sure helps.

If the card issuer (or whoever) genuinely needs to get in touch, they could leave a message, or try again later ....

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jul-19 18:04:39
Print Post

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by helpoort:
Received a phone call yesterday and today the 17th July.
FROM VISA SECURITY, a female informed me that a £600.00 transaction was about to be transacted on my Visa account and to PRESS ONE.
So we can go THERE but not STOP this type of call.
What a silly comparison. This is a common mental failure known as a false analogy.

And in any case something like the Trucall unit can stop these calls and it's been available for several years now.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 21-Jul-19 18:06:17)

Standard User burble
(member) Sun 21-Jul-19 22:07:00
Print Post

I have caller display and a answerphone, a glance across at the display will tell me if I know the caller, if I don't it usually goes to answerphone, but sometimes I'm expecting a call but not sure what the number might be, I don't think I've ever seen a scam call with 00, they always spoof what they think is a UK number, but most times get it wrong. If it's an actual person calling (I'm guessing here) they hang up when it goes to answerphone, if it's an automated call by the time the answerphone starts to record it's halfway through message.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jul-19 09:27:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

But the number may be spoofed to a correct number so how does it work in that instance?

Just trying to find how people deal with these issues.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jul-19 10:47:53
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Get yourself a TruCall phone. As another poster said, money vet well spent ..

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to