General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MarinaResident
(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-19 10:15:34
Print Post

Lousy joints and cables hanging in water.

[link to this post]

I live on a marina and have a landline to a waterproof outside socket.

I have at least five joints within 200 yards and for the second time in a month one of the waterproof housings has fallen apart. This time the joint remained intact so I pulled it out of the water and normal services resumed although at a slower speed than 48 hours ago.

My cable hangs in and out of the water until the point where the telephone lines leave the marina. Some of the cable is not even BT. (I've been told it is railway signalling cable!)

My cable is about 1.5 Km from my cabinet and there are more local cabinets. My connection is about 10 Meg at the moment but was 12 a couple of days ago.

My contract is with EE.

Is that anything I can do to get this installation improved?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-19 10:25:41
Print Post

Re: Lousy joints and cables hanging in water.

[re: MarinaResident] [link to this post]

This has to be a PSTN fault and not broadband.

Call you line provider and tell them you keep losing service, then when the technician arrives ensure the problem joint is submerged. Then insist on the line being fully replaced without joints - or if there are, in locations where they will not get wet. Keep complaining until it is done properly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-19 10:36:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Do I have any rights to insist the cable is brought up to a reasonable standard and that the non-BT cable is replaced? Or do I have to put up with it in a working condition no matter how lousy that is? Can I insist the cable is lifted out of the water?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-19 10:48:12
Print Post

You have a right to have a cable that is fit for purpose. It can be in water - if the cable is suitable for immersion, although unless they use full immersion proof joints it should be a single run. Non-BT cable - most BT Techs will see that and replace it. It will be down to luck as to who arrives. When they do, tell them how bad it is, how many drop outs, loss of service &c.

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Jul-19 10:50:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Could this be expensive though?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 24-Jul-19 10:51:15
Print Post

Hi

I think all you can insist on is a working service rather than asking for a particular type of fix, and always better to push voice issues as advised rather than broadband when it's a physical problem with the wire.

A good engineer is going to replace everything and bring it up to standard, one that wants in and out ASAP will do the minimum. It isn't in Openreach's interest not to bring it up to a reliable standard as of course they will just have to keep coming back, but really much is on the individual engineer on the day.

Regards

Phil
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-19 11:21:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Spending an extra hour to run 200m of cable along a known route will be a lot cheaper than being called out for another fault every few weeks.

The Technician could go along and check/remake every joint and seal them ... how long would that take? Re-run from cabinet to socket is possibly the simplest and overall quickest solution.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jul-19 12:15:25
Print Post

Not Caversham marina perchance ?

(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-19 12:20:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Penarth
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jul-19 12:25:47
Print Post

I had my underground cable down my 30m drive replaced as it was overhead cable put in in the 80s. I got an engineer to measure the loss at each end of the cable and he agreed to get it replaced. They had to dig my drive up for new ducting and cable but it gave me quite a boost in speed. So it can be done if you get the right engineer.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to