General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DAVIDR1978
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-19 12:11:07
Print Post

Netflix hogging broadband

[link to this post]

Hi, new here and looking for help to setup QOS on a post office fibre router so that my PS4 takes priority over Netfix being watched on another device. I've tried myself but no option to add the PS4's IP. I Get about 60mb down and 10mb up and everything ran smoothly until my daughter got Netflix. A step by step guide to fix this would be appreciated, thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-19 13:44:24
Print Post

Re: Netflix hogging broadband

[re: DAVIDR1978] [link to this post]

Was not aware the Post Office router supported QoS at all. Which router do they supply currently?

One trick if they are streaming to a device where Netflix lets you download the show/film is to download it when it does not interfere with other activity.

The issue I presume is that you get some intermittent lag, i.e. the Netflix app downloads in short bursts to fill its buffer rather than running at a steady 5 to 10 Mbps.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DAVIDR1978
(newbie) Tue 30-Jul-19 07:00:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

VMG3925-B10B is the routers common interface name, its the fibre model, and yes netflix causes lag and high ping on ps4, 1 game of Battlefield 1 seen my ping hit 999 which is the max. I can kind of fix it by turning on 5ghz and using that for ps4 but it feels a bit off still.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DAVIDR1978
(newbie) Tue 30-Jul-19 07:03:01
Print Post

I forgot to mention everything is connected via wifi, any idea if a 10m ethernet cable hardwired to ps4 would resolve it?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jul-19 07:28:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by DAVIDR1978:
I forgot to mention everything is connected via wifi, any idea if a 10m ethernet cable hardwired to ps4 would resolve it?

YES, assuming you have a decent connection speed.

We watch Netflix here all the time and I have absolutely no issues with latency / pings when playing on my PS4 while other people are watching Netflix, in fact I have had Netflix running on my PC while playing on the PS4 and still no issues.

My guesses are that everything is using Wi-Fi at your place, if so that might / will cause issues like you are seeing.

I say try and wire in Ethernet cables where you can and get yourself a 1Gbit Network Switch to plug all the cables in (assuming the ports on the router isn't enough), doing so you will see a huge improvement.

We only use Wi-Fi here for Tablets and Phones, everything else is wired.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 30-Jul-19 07:29:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jul-19 08:50:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Need to try and get the gaming devices onto Ethernet

WiFi brings a whole host of latency issues of its own

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DAVIDR1978
(newbie) Tue 30-Jul-19 12:34:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah solved it, I did a few ping tests and was getting packet loss, but no packet loss when hardwired so must be wifi interference mainly due to a TV upstairs, thanks guys.
  Print Thread

Jump to