General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Housebuyer1
(newbie) Wed 31-Jul-19 17:42:34
Print Post

Black bottle on telegraph pole

[link to this post]

Anyone know what this black bottle is on telegraph pole? I think it's quite a recent addition too.

Image here in google docs

Hoping it's to do with Fibre and not a cellphone or wifi transmitter - I fancy buying the house right next to it and not sure about that.

And if this isn't a cellphone (3G/4G/5G or whatever) transmitter, do they put those transmitters on telegraph poles much?And should I care anyway, sleeping close to it?

Many thanks
Alex
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Jul-19 17:48:58
Print Post

Re: Black bottle on telegraph pole

[re: Housebuyer1] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with 3G/4G/5G it is a bit of fibre kit, you can see a strain relief mounting too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Jul-19 19:44:35
Print Post

[re: Housebuyer1] [link to this post]

Walk through central London you will pass literally hundreds of phone masts on roofs etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Jul-19 20:17:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A photo of the top of the pole would tell more ....

And maybe putting the address into the checker too.

Standard User slimj
(member) Thu 01-Aug-19 08:59:35
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The yellow "Caution Fibre Overhead" sign is also a giveaway for fibre cabling.

We have the same equipment (installed over past 2-3 weeks) and black splitter node type thing (it has about 5 input/outputs underneath) on the telegraph pole that feeds our hamlet of around 15 properties.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Aug-19 09:49:44
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slimj:
The yellow "Caution Fibre Overhead" sign is also a giveaway for fibre cabling.

That's assuming that they put one on the pole, ours don't have that label / sign on our phone pole.

And at the same time I have seen phone poles near me that have those exact same label / sign on the poles and have done for over 5+ years and yet they are unable to order FTTP.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User slimj
(member) Thu 01-Aug-19 11:34:15
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
That's assuming that they put one on the pole, ours don't have that label / sign on our phone pole.

Yes, where they have added the fibre cabling along our road, not all poles have the labels (the work is still however going on - the node on our pole is merely held on with yellow tape at the moment and not screwed in place but cables connected).

Do the poles you have seen have any other equipment in place, like the splitter node (a quick search online shows they are for splitting fibres but I am not an engineer so am not 100% sure) pictured above? Or is is just cables running to another location?

I guess now, for Openreach, it wouldn't make sense to run cables and not leave any future provision for connections for the addresses it passes by?!
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Aug-19 14:14:47
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slimj:
Do the poles you have seen have any other equipment in place, like the splitter node (a quick search online shows they are for splitting fibres but I am not an engineer so am not 100% sure) pictured above? Or is is just cables running to another location?

Well I am from London and the ones I have seen in my area / on my exchange were installed back in 2011.

Our Splitter Node is in a chamber located at the bottom of my road about 166m from my home, our FibreDP is located in the chamber by our phone pole and we have our Manifold (black bottle) at the top of our phone pole.

But like I said ours is the old 2 stage install, we also got the old 4 Port ONT with the 2 Phone Ports.

I have got photos of our Splitter Node (still looking for them), FibreDP + Small Phone Shield and Fibre Manifold (black bottle)

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Aug-19 19:17:28
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

‘Small phone shield’ ??

I guess you mean the small cap ended universal clip joint ?

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Aug-19 22:41:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
‘Small phone shield’ ??

I guess you mean the small cap ended universal clip joint ?

Yeah, I didn't know the actual name for it.

Paul

Print Thread

Jump to