General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GianniV
(newbie) Sat 03-Aug-19 12:53:48
Print Post

Connetion problem Vodaphone Sure Signal box to BT BBand

[link to this post]

Hi after 2 days frustration and talking to useless staff at Vodaphone and limited help from BT I just need to get my new box connected, theflasing red and static orange on the device suggests ip problem at router but BT can't help . I have disabled the smart set up on router and split the channels but what else can I do..crazy thing is that it worked at first after only half an hour then when I moved it to a different position in the house, also fed from an ethernet cable from my server cabinet it went AWOL !
Any suggestions welcome please!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Aug-19 13:09:31
Print Post

Re: Connetion problem Vodaphone Sure Signal box to BT BBand

[re: GianniV] [link to this post]

Not much help, but used to have one of these and they create a VPN tunnel and if connecting it via Ethernet (which is best) then Wi-FI should have no effect.

Problems tended to be that it would sometimes just die for a day or two and come back of its own accord. These issues got worse then marginal 4G arrived so turned it off and its gone to the electrical recycling now. If your phone supports Wi-Fi calling then turning that on is a good substitute for the box.

Presume you've checked that there is Internet access from the cable you've moved it to?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sat 03-Aug-19 13:37:18
Print Post

Re: Connetion problem Vodaphone Sure Signal box to BT BBand *DELETED*

Post deleted by gmangt4

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Aug-19 15:07:29
Print Post

The Vodafone Sure Signal is a bit of a pain to get working. You need an Ethernet connection to your home router. There have been at least three different versions.

Technically it is an old product now as most phones (especially if bought from Vodafone) support WiFi calling, unless you are unfortunate to be with Vodafone Global Enterprise (VGE) whom still don't support this.

The Sure Signal box needs to make a raw IPsec connection to Vodafone over IPv4. This is not NAT friendly, so if you are doing anything advanced with the connection (e.g. your own firewall), you should go back to using only the BT Hub and ensure it works there. Also check it is still registered on vodafone.co.uk

Some detailed diagnostics on this old post may help:
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Archive/Technical-po...

If you have problems, post in this forum, as the Sure Signal support people will and do reply here:
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User awontroba
(regular) Sat 03-Aug-19 23:23:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I had a Sure Signal installed at my mother's home until the Vodafone signal improved enough to not need it. As far as I recall, getting it working was a PITA and required:
Several ports to be forwarded.Found these in VF's forum.
MTU to be correct.

--
Adrian
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Aug-19 06:54:13
Print Post

Using one successfully was such a faff, I swapped to EE and used wifi calling instead. Which works a treat.

I believe this function is available through quite a few mobile service providers, but EE and BT mobile for sure.

Standard User richi
(member) Sun 04-Aug-19 08:22:22
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

The Voda people keep telling customers to forward this port and that port, but they don't mean "forward" at all. The thing doesn't listen on any ports, but only makes outbound connections. As Andrew says, it sets up a VPN tunnel.

What they should be saying is to ensure your firewall doesn't block outbound traffic on those ports.

Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.

Edited by richi (Sun 04-Aug-19 08:26:59)

Standard User richi
(member) Sun 04-Aug-19 08:25:42
Print Post

Which light is static orange? If #4 (the rightmost one, with the phone symbol), this means the suresignal didn't get an IP address allocated by the router's DHCP server.

(I'm assuming you have the v3 suresignal)

Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
  Print Thread

Jump to