General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Sep-19 08:41:03
Print Post

Accessing lan from wireless on router

[link to this post]

Is it possible to access my lan from a wireless connected to my router?

I used to use NAT loopback with DMZ on my TG582N, but the new 588V doesn't seem to support that.

I have a DNS server running locally, but obviously without access to it I can't use split horizon DNS.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG588V v2

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Sat 21-Sep-19 08:42:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Sep-19 09:17:20
Print Post

Re: Accessing lan from wireless on router

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Unless you are running with wireless isolation turned on, the wireless LAN is just an extension of the Ethernet LAN, i.e. IP addresses should be able to see each other pending local firewalls on devices themselves.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Sep-19 11:17:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
Is it possible to access my lan from a wireless connected to my router?
I used to use NAT loopback with DMZ on my TG582N, but the new 588V doesn't seem to support that.
I have a DNS server running locally, but obviously without access to it I can't use split horizon DNS.

NAT loopback would allow you to use the public address internally, through port forwarding. To use an internal DNS server from a wireless client, I would just expect to use the 192.168.x.x address in the DNS configuration.

If you can't ping a wired ethernet device from a wireless device, check the operating system firewalls.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Sep-19 14:14:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does the TG588V even have wireless isolation? I'm struggling to find anything but the most basic info on most routers. frown

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Sep-19 14:15:46
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

So the TG588V does support NAT loopback?

===========
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Sep-19 14:40:41
Print Post

So the TG588V does support NAT loopback?

I don't know. But you don't need NAT loopback to use your own DNS server from another device on the home network.

If you expose your own DNS server to the internet (not advised) through port forwarding, then as long as your public IP doesn't change, you can access it BOTH from its own internal and the public address IF NAT loopback works.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Sep-19 15:16:20
Print Post

My original query is getting lost. frown

I don't need NAT loopback' if I can find a working alternative. NAT loopback is to access a web server which also handles my mail and webcam. wink

I don't need to access my DNS server from outside, just on the LAN.

===========
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Sep-19 15:20:10
Print Post

My original query is getting lost. frown
I don't need NAT loopback' if I can find a working alternative. NAT loopback is to access a web server which also handles my mail and webcam. wink

Ok, so you have a server on your network: http://192.168.1.5 for example. You can access this from outside your home using a public IP, domain name, or dynamic IP, such as http://myhouse.dyndns.org

So if you are at home, on your WiFi using your phone or tablet, just use http://192.168.1.5
NAT loopback only matters if you want to use http://myhouse.dyndns.org from your home.

Split Horizon DNS, host files, etc, only matter if you want to use the same name inside and outside. On a Windows/Mac/Linux computer you can solve this in the HOSTS file, but if you are using iOS or Android, its not as easy.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Sep-19 09:15:21
Print Post

Yes, I want to use the name to access the server. The lan IP doesn't work, possibly a firewall issue.

Yes, I mainly use an iPad to access things wirelessly.

===========
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Sep-19 09:56:38
Print Post

Yes, I want to use the name to access the server. The lan IP doesn't work, possibly a firewall issue.

The IP not working doesn't make sense, as your port forwarding on the router is sending the traffic to the server on that IP.

Yes, I mainly use an iPad to access things wirelessly.

Then you need to find a router that does NAT loopback, or host your server in the cloud instead.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to