General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boathouse
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 19:43:08
Print Post

Sky ADSL BB dropping

[link to this post]

I have the Sky bb SR 102 router and not sure last time it had a frmware update, but for the last 6 nights ( early morning) between 1am and 2 30 am, my BB has gone down then connects again. Not sure whats going on because its solid during the day, ADSL not fibre
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-19 20:43:25
Print Post

Re: Sky ADSL BB dropping

[re: boathouse] [link to this post]

First things first .... is the telephone line dialling tone clear and noise free ?

Standard User boathouse
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 22:09:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It seems ok, i have a older DG934 NETGEAR, would it be worth a swap to see if it drops during the early hours?

I have a filtered faceplate as well.

Edited by boathouse (Sat 19-Oct-19 22:11:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Oct-19 07:39:00
Print Post

I would have thought the next step ought to be contacting Sky and seeing what they say.

If it all tests OK for them, they have their own engineers who can come out, and will replace routers if needs be.

Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Sun 20-Oct-19 20:53:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by boathouse:
I have the Sky bb SR 102 router and not sure last time it had a frmware update, but for the last 6 nights ( early morning) between 1am and 2 30 am, my BB has gone down then connects again. Not sure whats going on because its solid during the day, ADSL not fibre
It may well be Sky's Dynamic Line Management (DLM) that has triggered this!

I remember when I had Sky ADSL just over a year ago around 1-2 am my internet would disconnect for at least 10 days. Wait another 4 days or so and see if after 10 days this behaviour stops!

I highly suspect it is DLM because at that time it is very suspicious for it to happen. Make sure you leave your router on at all times to allow for the line to be stabilised. After that it may magically stop by itself and it may be that there is nothing wrong with the router.

For example moving to Plusnet ADSL their DLM would trigger 10 days at exactly 5:45 am which is different from the Sky ADSL DLM schedule.
Standard User boathouse
(newbie) Sun 20-Oct-19 22:01:59
Print Post

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

Ok thanks, i have heard of that and will do as you suggest, the early hours of this morning was the first for seven days to stay connected, so hope its the DLM doing its stuff.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Oct-19 23:48:20
Print Post

DLM runs 24/7, usually it does nothing but if it notices improvements / decreases in the line it will re-run and exhibit the behaviour exactly as you describe.
Standard User boathouse
(newbie) Tue 22-Oct-19 19:33:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
DLM runs 24/7, usually it does nothing but if it notices improvements / decreases in the line it will re-run and exhibit the behaviour exactly as you describe.

Well its not disconected again in the early hours, so maybe it has been DLM doing its stuff.
Just noticed in my logs that for the past 2 weeks i have had several drop outs during the day while i have been out, one was 4 times in 30 minutes, not very techie so dont normally look at the logs.
  Print Thread

Jump to