General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Tue 02-Jun-20 23:23:03
Print Post

Where have "the-scream.co.uk" forums gone?!

[link to this post]

Where have "the-scream.co.uk" forums gone; anyone know? I have a vast thread on there, and other posts of interest... and the site has VANISHED!

If anyone has contact with the admin of the site, I should like to contact them, or if you know if the site has moved elsewhere, I'd like to find it.

Thank you so much! smile

Matthew.

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 02-Jun-20 23:32:44)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 00:11:38
Print Post

Re: Where has "the-scream.co.uk" forums gone?!

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

My guess is that whoever it used to be registered to forgot to renew the domain name. The current domain registration only dates back to 22nd August 2019.

You can find some archived snapshots, but probably not what you're looking for, here

I think the fact that there are no Wayback Machine scans from after May 2019 until September 2019 supports the suggestion that the domain name lapsed. The current listed registrant is;

Registrant:
        Tim Hall

Registrant type:
        UK Individual

Registrant's address:
        241 Highland Drive
        Loughborough
        Leicestershire
        LE11 2QF
        United Kingdom

These contact details are also shown for two other expired and newly registered domains that I know of - including wandsworthmuseum.co.uk

There are a number of companies registered at this postal address; Endole: 5 Companies in LE11 2QF although nobody listed has the name Tim Hall.

It's common practice for expired domains to be snapped up by folks hoping that they already have traffic going to them which is then effectively hijacked. Sometimes they're hijacked to sell back to the previous owner at inflated prices.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of you being able to contact the original the-scream.co.uk site owners is practically zero as all email addresses in that domain are now controlled by the new registrant.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Wed 03-Jun-20 22:53:56
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
My guess is that whoever it used to be registered to forgot to renew the domain name. The current domain registration only dates back to 22nd August 2019.

You can find some archived snapshots, but probably not what you're looking for, here

I think the fact that there are no Wayback Machine scans from after May 2019 until September 2019 supports the suggestion that the domain name lapsed. The current listed registrant is;

Registrant:
        Tim Hall

Registrant type:
        UK Individual

Registrant's address:
        241 Highland Drive
        Loughborough
        Leicestershire
        LE11 2QF
        United Kingdom

These contact details are also shown for two other expired and newly registered domains that I know of - including wandsworthmuseum.co.uk

There are a number of companies registered at this postal address; Endole: 5 Companies in LE11 2QF although nobody listed has the name Tim Hall.

It's common practice for expired domains to be snapped up by folks hoping that they already have traffic going to them which is then effectively hijacked. Sometimes they're hijacked to sell back to the previous owner at inflated prices.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of you being able to contact the original the-scream.co.uk site owners is practically zero as all email addresses in that domain are now controlled by the new registrant.

Thank you for your help. I have tracked down the two threads I wanted, on archive.org, and used my Unix prowess to make archived, offline copies of the entire threads.

Again, thanks! smile

Matthew.

Edited by glossywhite (Wed 03-Jun-20 23:02:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Jun-20 00:20:49
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
My guess is that whoever it used to be registered to forgot to renew the domain name.
Or no longer is. Regrettably.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 20:28:27
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
Thank you for your help. I have tracked down the two threads I wanted, on archive.org, and used my Unix prowess to make archived, offline copies of the entire threads.
That's really good news. I'm glad the threads you wanted were there smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 20:29:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The thought had crossed my mind frown

Sarah

--

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 20:45:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Similar thing happened to my old domain, o2help.co.uk. Someone renewed it after it expired and put it back online by downloading pages from archive.org. Purpose being to embed a few links in the text for page rank.

O2 seems to have claimed the domain now.

Oliver.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Jun-20 20:52:07
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
O2 seems to have claimed the domain now.

I think Nominet can remove domains from people that snipe domains to make a profit or for illegal usage and allow for the original owners to renew it.

Paul

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 20:56:18
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I think Nominet can remove domains from people that snipe domains to make a profit or for illegal usage and allow for the original owners to renew it.

Yeah I'm kind of curious how the domain ended up in O2's hands, perhaps that's what happened. I guess I'll never know.

Oliver.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 21:43:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Yeah I'm kind of curious how the domain ended up in O2's hands, perhaps that's what happened. I guess I'll never know.
It probably felt like a phishing domain, which it could easily have been; Domain Watch FAQs.

O2 is also a registered trademark and it's possible that the new registrant drew O2's attention to the domain because of the way it was being (ab)used, resulting in action from O2.

Sarah

--

Edited by caffn8me (Thu 04-Jun-20 21:46:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to