General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Dec-20 23:40:29
Print Post

Anyone got a VOIP adapter

[link to this post]

With the prospect of PSTN being turned off in 2025 has anyone got a VOIP adapter so they can use existing phone systems with VOIP. I have phones all over the house, a total of 6. 4 Dect and 2 on extensions. Wondering how this would work out when they turn off PSTN?

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 27-Dec-20 01:21:00
Print Post

Re: Anyone got a VOIP adapter

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Why not move to full DECT now?

Get something like a Gigaset N300A IP. Feed your PSTN into it and set up several VOIP numbers. Then programme teh handsets to it and off you go. Rip out all the old wiring to tidy up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 01:33:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cost would be against the Gigaset. I already have very good Panasonic handsets with replaceable rechargeable batteries. Adapter cost about £40, Gigaset DECT station with 6 handsets £183. Plus most extensions wiring is under floorboards which would be a major operation. Thanks for the reply MHC.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 06:42:37
Print Post

Just curious ....
I have phones all over the house, a total of 6. 4 Dect and 2 on extensions.
... how many get used ever/at all ?

The only person who ever calls the landline, is the mother in law, and even she is being weaned onto mobile calls. I hear people say this SO often (who’d have thought she rings them all 😄)

You have a multiple handset cordless .... you’ll have 4 years or so to decide how/if you want to feed this. Don’t worry so much.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 08:04:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Good point, I hadn't thought of rationalising the phone count and I could use 2 of the dects in place of the extensions.

I cant do much as I have signed up for the TTB complete package for 2 years anyway so am in contract with both BB and phone.

I use the landline quite a lot and any relatives call me on the landline too although my regular caller my cousin is now getting the hang of mobiles. Ofcom is talking about a number for life and that is how I view my number, its kind of personal identity.

Main reason for the post was thinking ahead and to see if anyone else has already took the plunge into VOIP. Just a discussion post really Zarjaz.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User BranH
(learned) Sun 27-Dec-20 08:56:00
Print Post

Currently using a Grandstream HT801, once I got it running, I don't really think about it. Had a couple of issues setting it up as it came pre-provisioned, even though it was meant to be vanilla. Its using a Three unlimited data sim in a B535-232, and works fine. When I gave up on the slow ADSL, I dropped the landline as well and ported the number to SIPGATE basic.
It just works and phone quality fine.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:03:09
Print Post

[re: BranH] [link to this post]

How did you connect your old phones to the adapter? I see they have RJ11 socket, did you just use a BT to RJ11 connector?

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:43:33
Print Post

I thought that DECT handset were compatible with nearly all DECT base stations, if your Panasonic base station doesn't have the ability to connect up VOIP lines then why not switch to a Gigaset base station and keep your existing handsets.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:47:50
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I would love that to be true but looking at the blurb for the Gigaset there is a list of compatible handsets and they are all Gigaset. My Pansonic was built in the days of PSTN was the only option with a BT plug.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:54:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
I would love that to be true but looking at the blurb for the Gigaset there is a list of compatible handsets and they are all Gigaset. My Pansonic was built in the days of PSTN was the only option with a BT plug.
frown Thats a really shame. Is it worth posting the handset version in case someone knows something different.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to