General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:35:26
Print Post

Phone line attached to fascia

[link to this post]

We are looking to get new guttering and fascias fitted in our house. Currently the line from the pole to the house is about 8-10 metres in length and attaches to the old wooden fascia using a hook thats screwed into it. Obviously with the fascia being replaced, this would either need to be attached to the house somewhere else, or reattached to the new fascia.

Anyone that has something similar, is it something the fascia company would do themselves or would it require a BT call out? Ive seen the prices BT charge, so was hoping with it being a simple job the joiner would do it.

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 03-Aug-20 19:35:45)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:45:26
Print Post

Re: Phone line attached to fascia

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Trouble is, I have, many times, seen the unsafe botches left by fascia/window installers.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Aug-20 02:23:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

A lot of builders won't touch BT's stuff, when we had double glazing installed 10+ years back they just installed the new windows over on top of our BT80 box, but BT just sent out an engineer free of charge to fit a new BT80 box, so we were lucky.

I have also seen some dodgy stuff too.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Tue 04-Aug-20 08:51:55
Print Post

Your facia people will almost certainly erect scaffolding.
I had my roof replaced, new everything. I used the scaffolding to take the line down, and once the new roof and facia were up, used the scaffolding to reattach the bracket. I bought some long stainless steel screws ( to avoid future rust) that go through the fascia and deep into the wood behind.

Shouldn't have used the scaffolding, shouldn't have touched BT equipment, but hey.....
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Aug-20 09:41:02
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Thats one way i guess.

Will see what they say when i get some quotes, id imagine its quite a common occurrence for them to deal with.
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Tue 04-Aug-20 10:06:44
Print Post

I suspect most of them won't bat an eyelid.

Mine in screwed through the plastic fascia, but was done before we bought the house... Next door had their fascias replaced recently and the installers took the dropwire bracket off and replaced it where it was.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Tue 04-Aug-20 15:16:44
Print Post

We have a 40m aerial cable from the distribution pole over our busy road to our brick cable. I called BT when I noticed the original anchor fitting had become severely corroded after 40 years and the engineer arrived about five hours later. He explained that cables over roads had priority because of potential liabilities if one comes down -- and that was long before today's plague of cyclists ... Contractors are wise not to touch such connections.
  Print Thread

Jump to