General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 10:23:02
Print Post

Extending BTWifi

[link to this post]

I am stuck without broadband for at least 3 months due to some housing development in the local area and the only option is BT-Wifi, luckily there seems to be quite a lot of it about.

The problem I am having is that the BTWifi signal is too weak to be of practical use.

In the past I have been able to use an AC Router which has a better reception and re-transmit what was then BTWifi-with-Fon into my home, but when I try to do it now with BTWifi I am hitting all kinds of technical issues.

My AC router has a wireless bridge mode that allows me to do a survey and pick an SSID to repeat in my home, it only shows one BTWifi SSID, it also shows the signal strength and whether the signal is AC.

The problem is that devices that connect can't maintain the connection for very long at all, sometimes as soon as 10 seconds after you log into the BTWifi portal you lose connection, occasionally I have had it work for as long as 2 hours.

My Router is fairly old so I got a TPLink Router but this does not work at all, the reason is that it only works if you turn off DHCP, that is fine if you are extending a wifi you control in your home, but with BT-Wifi the routers are all over the place and they do not provide DHCP. In fact once you disable DHCP you lose access to the router and have to do a factory reset and connect with a wired connection.

What the TP-Link IS useful for is a far better survey. it shows the individual Mac addresses of the BTWifi SSID's around, along with a more detailed signal strength.

I feel sure that other must have tried this before as BTWifi signal strength seems to be rubbish.

I am not sure if the problem is with the BTwifi dropping the connection due to inactivity, this seems unlikely as 10s after login is no time at all.

I am wondering if there is some sort of mechanism causing it to drop a line in favour of a better signal there seem to be at least 5 different ones here. Strangely it seems to have more success logging in when I face the router in one direction but seems more reliable when I turn it in another direction. I have not measured this scientifically, just feels that way.

I am hoping someone here might be able to give me a recommendation of a cheap (sub £50 second hand) AC router that may have a better wireless bridge implementation that does not require I shut off DHCP and that allows me to select and repeat a single network by Mac address, I am not that technical, I already bricked one TPlink modem doing a firmware update but in my defense this seems fairly common. DD-WRT seems a bit too technical for me and I am not sure it would work anyway.

Alternatively some suggestions on some parameters I might change on my existing router might help, I have listed some of the options below

Please do not give me an answer that says to do something else, I am only interested in solving this problem.

I am not going to spend money on mobile as it is beyond my budget, I already pay for BTBroadband at my home but we have had to move out due to an insurance claim requiring extensive works.

I have got it working before, and when it works at the moment I can get 4mb to 6mb which is I can live with, but losing connection 100 times an hour is intolerable.

Thanks in advance.

ROUTER CONFIG OPTIONS

Key Renewal Interval

DTIM Period

Multicast Aging Time

WMM Options

Priority Parameter
AC_BK (Low)
For AP For STA
CWmin: 15 15
CWmax: 1023 1023
AIFSN: 7 7
TXOP Limit: 0 0
Admission Control: Disabled
----

AC_BE (Normal)
For AP For STA
CWmin: 15 15
CWmax: 63 1023
AIFSN: 3 3
TXOP Limit: 0 0
----

AC_VI (High)
For AP For STA
CWmin: 7 7
CWmax: 15 15
AIFSN: 1 2
TXOP Limit: 94 94
----

AC_VO (Highest)
For AP For STA
CWmin: 3 3
CWmax: 7 7
AIFSN: 1 2
TXOP Limit: 47 47
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Aug-20 11:29:39
Print Post

Re: Extending BTWifi

[re: thinkbfan] [link to this post]

What is your 4G signal like? You can get monthly deals from the likes of a smarty and GiffGaff, then tether to the device. Mobile routers are quite cheap.

What have you got in your phone anyway?

PS: You seem willing to spend money on a way of extending the BT WiFi. You have to spend something to solve the problem. Existing phone seems the best bet, with additional data for a while.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 06-Aug-20 11:33:48)

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Thu 06-Aug-20 12:49:12
Print Post

The reason why the Bt-Wifi signal is so weak is because it's coming from your neighbours router.

Would it not be possible to ask your neighbours if they could for now just run an ethernet cable out to you?

Also, my insurance company would pay for an internet connection if I had to have extensive building works to my home and had to move out, so there is that avenue to explore as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 12:50:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What is your 4G signal like? You can get monthly deals from the likes of a smarty and GiffGaff, then tether to the device. Mobile routers are quite cheap.

What have you got in your phone anyway?

PS: You seem willing to spend money on a way of extending the BT WiFi. You have to spend something to solve the problem. Existing phone seems the best bet, with additional data for a while.

Like any household I have multiple devices not just phone, even for the phone I need it to work in all rooms, when I get a data connection on mobile it does not work in all rooms anyway.

I am prepared to invest in a one off capital purchase of a AC wifi router, not take on another data contract with nothing to show for it.

I already have a router for SIM but I am not spending money on such a contract, I am already paying for broadband that includes hotspots, I simply wish to make it work.

Please respect my request

=====================================================================
In reply to a post by thinkbfan:
Please do not give me an answer that says to do something else, I am only interested in solving this problem.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Aug-20 12:55:30
Print Post

You want to receive a weak signal from a BT-wifi and share it with multiple devices in your home. This is the same scenario as many visitors to hotels, especially corporate hotels.

Devices such as this, may be worth looking into:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-AR750-300Mbps-pr...

I have used this box to pick up a hotel Wifi (which has no password) and then connect my own devices to the ethernet port and to the WiFi that this box transmits. So each of my devices doesn't need changing for each hotel, I just have to use the web page to connect to the hotel's WiFi. It also gets around the limit many hotels have of 1 device per room or you pay more.

Maybe an option?

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 12:56:36
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
The reason why the Bt-Wifi signal is so weak is because it's coming from your neighbours router.

Would it not be possible to ask your neighbours if they could for now just run an ethernet cable out to you?

Also, my insurance company would pay for an internet connection if I had to have extensive building works to my home and had to move out, so there is that avenue to explore as well.

That is the thing, the signal is not that weak, the routers see it as a strong signal, it is just kwap at getting into the property.

I tried the neighbours, they were not comfortable to even give me their wifi login which is sad as the TP-links would have worked, but that avenue is closed, I even offered them a one off payment.

Insurance company are being like any insurance company, already not paying what they should be paying, as it is I am going to be facing huge costs when we get back into our home.

I really want to focus on fixing this problem with BTWifi rather than doing something else.
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 13:08:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
You want to receive a weak signal from a BT-wifi and share it with multiple devices in your home. This is the same scenario as many visitors to hotels, especially corporate hotels.

Devices such as this, may be worth looking into:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-AR750-300Mbps-pr...

I have used this box to pick up a hotel Wifi (which has no password) and then connect my own devices to the ethernet port and to the WiFi that this box transmits. So each of my devices doesn't need changing for each hotel, I just have to use the web page to connect to the hotel's WiFi. It also gets around the limit many hotels have of 1 device per room or you pay more.

Maybe an option?

Interesting device but looks weaker substantially than my current router, it also has no antenna so will struggle to provide coverage in all rooms.

Ironically the BTwifi signal is not that weak, if I am prepared to stand by the window, the issue is a tech issue

I was hoping to find someone who has done this with BTWifi

When BTwifi was BTwifi-with-Fon the router I had worked but BT seems to have changed something in moving it to BTwifi.

I even tried their BTwifi app for the phones, all it does is save you the login but it too fails if you sit on the sofa or go to any other room

I can see from network monitoring tools that the signal is strong enough by the window, I would not even be trying as repeating a weak signal will just give a weak signal.

I think the issue is that BTwifi must have some protocol that make it constantly look for the strongest signal and switch to that, but now it is losing connection after 10 seconds, just post on here I have to login, rush to do the captcha (on every post and every preview) then login again then quickly hit continue.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Thu 06-Aug-20 13:14:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by thinkbfan:
In reply to a post by robertcrowther:

That is the thing, the signal is not that weak, the routers see it as a strong signal, it is just kwap at getting into the property.

I tried the neighbours, they were not comfortable to even give me their wifi login which is sad as the TP-links would have worked, but that avenue is closed, I even offered them a one off payment.

Insurance company are being like any insurance company, already not paying what they should be paying, as it is I am going to be facing huge costs when we get back into our home.

I really want to focus on fixing this problem with BTWifi rather than doing something else.

Many people forget that you have two signals to worry about. First the receiving signal and then the transmitting signal. You only need one of these to be low and you have a problem. Unfortunately most routers don't provide the readings for both.

Good luck with the insurance company, sounds like you might need some renegotiation when it comes to renewal time.
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Thu 06-Aug-20 13:20:44
Print Post

Its just normal Wi-Fi protocol.
If you have multiple access points with the same ssid it will automatically connect to the strongest signal.
When it switches this is what is logging you out.
I cant see why anyone else would want to do this as anyone in this position would have either mobile data available or internet provided where they are staying.
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 13:24:01
Print Post

Re: Extending BTWifi few things I have tried

I have tried setting 5.0 to picking up the BTwifi and only making 2.4 available to clients, this has not helped, bizarrely on laptop it I have to disconnect then reconnect, then I do not need to login to BTWifi, but connection lasts about a minute.

I tried it the other way around with 2.4 picking up and making 5.0 available to clients but signal was rubbish and could not get it to work at all.

I thought it might be a timeout and tried playing a movie on youtube to keep the connection open, that did not work.

I tried the mode on the router that replicates the same SSID and poor security but the signal strength does not improve which suggest to me that I am still connecting to one of the poor BT signals.

I tried messing with DTIM but did not really help.

I have done factory resets numerous times but to no avail.

This is manual of buffalo that I have tried, in case there are any techs that get a lightbulb moment from the settings

https://www.buffalo.jp/s3/guide/wzr-1750dhp/99/en/mo...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to