General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 13:31:59
Print Post

Re: Extending BTWifi

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
Its just normal Wi-Fi protocol.
If you have multiple access points with the same ssid it will automatically connect to the strongest signal.
When it switches this is what is logging you out.
I cant see why anyone else would want to do this as anyone in this position would have either mobile data available or internet provided where they are staying.

I can think of lots of uses, if people did not need wifi away from home they would not have hotspots would they, the fon network would not be such a success all over the world and BT would not hive off 10% of their customers wifi for this purpose.

I did say I thought it might be switching but it is doing it after 10 seconds now, I was hoping someone might know something about networking and have a setting to recommend that may keep the connection open.

I do not think it is just normal wifi protocol.

Someone on the BT consumer website said that BT creates a VLAN for each user in the router providing the wifi, nothing normal about that, but also I have been able to get some devices to hold a direct connection open for 2 hours (the normal expiry).

A weird thing is that I can sometimes get a laptop to login albeit for a short time, but iphone and ipad say no internet connection.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Aug-20 15:20:05
Print Post

[re: thinkbfan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thinkbfan:
A weird thing is that I can sometimes get a laptop to login albeit for a short time, but iphone and ipad say no internet connection.

It sounds as if the signals are not strong enough, the "graphic" indicator you get on most devices is quite simplistic, and it is when you start using things go wrong. BT WiFi has no WPA password, so "auto roaming" won't work between stations, even if the neighbours both sides of yourself had BT WiFi being transmitted.

Not sure what to suggest, apart from perhaps an external antenna on a box similar to that I posted before to get the signal, and then plug that in via Ethernet to your TPLink or similar router to transmit around the home.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Aug-20 15:30:06
Print Post

I can't provide definitive information as never tried this (and you may find no-one on here has tried it) but I am thinking BT may have something that recognises a router device connected to the WiFi and boots it off the network as they may not support a multi user device - the service may be designed just to support individual end user devices.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 06-Aug-20 15:38:45
Print Post

If you are outside the persons house who has the router, with say a laptop does it do the same thing?

Maybe their speed isn't very good and the service is smart enough just to cut acccess when it drops below a certain threshold (of available bandwidth).

Although, to be fair, what you are trying to do seems a little bizarre and not the intended purpose of such a service. I wouldn't be very happy if my router was allowing someone effectively camping outside taking what little bandwidth I already have.

If it's going to be at least 3 months, why don't you just get BT to move the supply between the two houses?
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Thu 06-Aug-20 15:53:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

As others have said it is designed for single devices to connect e.g phone or laptop.
its probably the way the networks are configured that means the old fon network allowed this and the ne btwifi doesn't.
you're probably unlikely to find anyone else who has even tried it.
you would need a more enterprise level device that could lock the repeater the BSSID instead of the SSID
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 16:31:09
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
If you are outside the persons house who has the router, with say a laptop does it do the same thing?

Maybe their speed isn't very good and the service is smart enough just to cut acccess when it drops below a certain threshold (of available bandwidth).

Although, to be fair, what you are trying to do seems a little bizarre and not the intended purpose of such a service. I wouldn't be very happy if my router was allowing someone effectively camping outside taking what little bandwidth I already have.

If it's going to be at least 3 months, why don't you just get BT to move the supply between the two houses?

There is no way to know which house it is, I am in a flat with around 100 other flats within view, there are 5 close enough to offer a signal

The speeds that it is finding must be fibre because it am getting 6mb to 9mb, they say it is 10% of the signal, so speed is fine.

I do not know why you find it bizarre, there are hundreds of thousands of hotspots in the UK, I am not camping anywhere, BT hives off this bandwidth into a different network. You can disable it but people have found that BT does not give the bandwidth back to the consumer, there is no speed improvement to them, this has been widely covered on other forums.

As I explained in my original post, due to home building there is no new broadband being added until the next tranche of properties are built, I have tried all of the ISP's, some accepted the order online and even quoted a 14 day install, I waited 5 weeks and escalted to CEO's office who called back and said they could not offer service and nor could anyone else.

As I have already explained I just want solutions to the technical query I have raised. I have already exhausted other options, mobile signal is dire and there are even blackspots. I went to Tesco and bought sims from all the main providers, they all have basic signal.
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 16:37:46
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I can't provide definitive information as never tried this (and you may find no-one on here has tried it) but I am thinking BT may have something that recognises a router device connected to the WiFi and boots it off the network as they may not support a multi user device - the service may be designed just to support individual end user devices.

I did consider that but as it has been working before and even does at times it seems unlikely.

The network maintains the connection, it seems as if there is a timeout due to lost connection, what I was hoping to find was some parameter that made the router less sensitive or not to change router if that is what it is doing.
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 16:54:52
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
As others have said it is designed for single devices to connect e.g phone or laptop.
its probably the way the networks are configured that means the old fon network allowed this and the ne btwifi doesn't.
you're probably unlikely to find anyone else who has even tried it.
you would need a more enterprise level device that could lock the repeater the BSSID instead of the SSID

Well I have it working on multiple devices, the repeater merely passes the connection back and forth between the client and the BTWIFI router.

I did think this VLAN suggestion might be what you suggest but one would expect this to disconnect the 2nd device immediately and never approve it.

Each device gets a unique IP and has a unique outward facing IP

Many routers do have enterprise like features, but they all seem to implement differently, for example Buffalo allows one to specify whether it prefers 5ghz or 2.4ghz or insist on it. While Linksys force you to use one to connect to the network you are trying to repeat and the other to distribute to clients.

I think I am going to have to buy either a Netgear or Linksys with decent antennas and then hope that they can do it.

I am sure others will have tried this, I know someone at work who implemented it in the office using a buffalo because the internal network had limits, that is why I got a buffalo myself.

There are so many options that one might think might help for example

SSID Isolation
Wireless Client Isolation
802.11n Protection
Multicast Rate

But they do not seem to help but rather prevent it working at all.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 06-Aug-20 17:40:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by thinkbfan:
In reply to a post by gary333:

There is no way to know which house it is, I am in a flat with around 100 other flats within view, there are 5 close enough to offer a signal

The speeds that it is finding must be fibre because it am getting 6mb to 9mb, they say it is 10% of the signal, so speed is fine.

I do not know why you find it bizarre, there are hundreds of thousands of hotspots in the UK, I am not camping anywhere, BT hives off this bandwidth into a different network. You can disable it but people have found that BT does not give the bandwidth back to the consumer, there is no speed improvement to them, this has been widely covered on other forums.

As I explained in my original post, due to home building there is no new broadband being added until the next tranche of properties are built, I have tried all of the ISP's, some accepted the order online and even quoted a 14 day install, I waited 5 weeks and escalted to CEO's office who called back and said they could not offer service and nor could anyone else.

As I have already explained I just want solutions to the technical query I have raised. I have already exhausted other options, mobile signal is dire and there are even blackspots. I went to Tesco and bought sims from all the main providers, they all have basic signal.

I am pretty sure there is no reserved bandwidth on BT for this service. You as a user are just de-prioritised (if the firmware works which will be a big if).

Virgin Media has a separate bandwidth made available, so their service ‘should’ not impact the customer. 9mb would be over 10% for FTTC - so must be either no limit or you’ve happened across a g.fast or FTTP customer.

I think you might be best on the BT forum to find out more detail for the FON service.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 06-Aug-20 18:51:17
Print Post

It is likely that some of your problems are caused by your router's Wifi. I

It is likely that it is swamping the remote signal with it's own signal and therefore losing the remote signal.

If you have a dual band router you MAY be able to use one band to recieve and only transmit on the other. This would stop the router swamping the receive signal.

Fixing the band may also help, so if the remote router is using band 1 , you need to use Band 11 . However with the number of other signals in the flats this too is likely to break fairly regularly as other routers seek a less congested band. Often the routers will choose the same band as this enables them to interleave reducing interference but your router will then swamp the remote signal.

You could try turning off your wireless and using Ethernet to see if this keeps the connection up for longer, this would help prove the situation above.

If the remote router starts streaming at close to its connection speed you will have Bt Wifi bandwidth restricted . You may also not be the only person piggybacking on this router !
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to