General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gc1
(regular) Thu 06-Aug-20 20:43:35
Print Post

Re: Extending BTWifi

[re: thinkbfan] [link to this post]

I use two routers for this, one as just a client router to act as the BTwifi client, with an Ethernet connection to a second router some distance away to provide my access point for local devices. This way the transmitter from one will not swamp the receive amp of the other.

I would suggest starting with a router configured as just a wifi client (not a repeater) and connect by wired Ethernet to a PC and see if you can get it working that way.

The client router does network address translation so it doesn't matter how many devices are connected locally they all come through to the BTwifi access point as one MAC address and one IPv4 address.

I use OpenWRT in the client router which is very configurable. But that is an even steeper learning curve than DD-WRT so you may not want to go down that route,

BTwifi signals from neighbours will be weak, you need to make sure you get at least 20dB signal to noise ratio for the connection to stay up and remain stable. An external directional antenna may be necessary. I use a 19dBi flat plate antenna and only just manage to get around a 22dB SNR. If you are in a flat rather than a detached house this won't be such a problem.

TP-link routers are usually pretty good for wireless sensitivity, I doubt if a different model would improve the situation. I use an old TL-WR1043ND and that works well as a client for weak signals even with the stock short vertical stick antennas.

I don't understand why you would need to disable DHCP on the router. That should only apply for it's local LAN and any wifi access point it provides. It's wifi client connecting the BTwifi access point will be a DHCP client to pick up the CGNAT address (100.x.x.x etc.) that the latter provides.

For speed the service is rate limited to 10Mbps send and receive. In practice somewhat less (e.g. 5 to 10 Mbps) should be achievable provided you are the only BTwifi client on that access point and the wifi signal strength is good and you neighbour has a fast (VDSL or FTTP) connection. Sometimes the CGNAT gateway is heavily loaded and the speed is really poor. Then disconnecting the wifi client and reconnecting gets a different CGNAT client address through a less loaded gateway and the speed improves.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Aug-20 20:58:47
Print Post

[re: gc1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gc1:
I would suggest starting with a router configured as just a wifi client (not a repeater) and connect by wired Ethernet to a PC and see if you can get it working that way.
I agree, this is a good plan. The "small" box I proposed has two separate WiFi circuits inside which are designed not to interfere.

I am also amazed the OP has BT Wifi around, as there is none in my area. (Either everyone has opted out, or they're all Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk customers).

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 06-Aug-20 20:59:40)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Aug-20 21:02:27
Print Post

I can confirm is possible also.

I had no FTTC after ceasing my line when trying to switch between my ECI cabinet and the newly installed Huawei cabinet.

I went about 7-8 weeks on the neighbours BTWifi hotspot, picking up the signal on a TP-Link WAP and then repeating it around the house for all our devices.
It worked flawlessly, getting around 9Mb/s most of the day.

I tried this last week on my Asus RT-AC68U without success as I was getting moaned at for taking the connection down.

I plan on getting this working this week as my Virgin goes off on the 9th and my FTTP doesn't go live till the 12th.
I want to pick up the neighbours BTWifi again and run off that for 3 days.
Fortunately BT enable access to their WiFi the day your order is placed which is very handy.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Aug-20 21:42:15
Print Post

I do not know why you find it bizarre, there are hundreds of thousands of hotspots in the UK, I am not camping anywhere, BT hives off this bandwidth into a different network. You can disable it but people have found that BT does not give the bandwidth back to the consumer, there is no speed improvement to them, this has been widely covered on other forums.
You and those other unnamed forums are wrong. Further what you are proposing goes against the entire ethos of BT wi-fi so wouldn't be in the slightest surprised if BT are booting you off if they detect other than a single end device connected.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Aug-20 23:46:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by thinkbfan:
I already have a router for SIM but I am not spending money on such a contract, I am already paying for broadband that includes hotspots, I simply wish to make it work.

Please respect my request

=====================================================================
Please do not give me an answer that says to do something else, I am only interested in solving this problem.
Being rude to a sensible reply isn't going to get you out of your otherewise insoluble problem.

Picking up local BT free wifi from domestic BT Customers' routers is simply not going to work, as you should realise from the intervening posts.

I did not suggest taking out any contracts!

You say you already have a suitable router. So use it?

See these GiffGaff plans, monthly but cancel at any time. (That's O2)
Also (cheaper perhaps), similar Smarty plans. (That's Three).

Take your pick - one of those, or head in the sand with the communications facility of an ostrich. wink tongue smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 06-Aug-20 23:47:50)

Standard User gc1
(regular) Fri 07-Aug-20 07:30:51
Print Post

[re: gc1] [link to this post]

I should add that I have never tried a bridge or wifi repeater with BTwifi - this may or may not work - I don't know.

With the solution I suggested - a client router - it is essential that the device can act as a client router and can do network address translation in this mode - because there is no log-in available to the BTwifi access point to add a static route back to your local subnet so to the access point your devices must all appear to use the CGNAT 100.x.x.x address.

This probably means having to reflash a device with DD-WRT or OpenWRT either of which can do this.
I don't know if any devices have stock software which can do this.

The OP mentioned bricking a router trying to reflash it. This might be recoverable by opening it up and gaining access to it's serial port. Otherwise there are usually plenty of wireless routers for sale on Ebay, just make sure it is a model capable of running DD-WRT or OpenWRT. I personally like TP-Link devices and have found them to work well for wifi over longer than average ranges. Other makes might be just as good.

BTwifi is, of course, only really feasible as a backup solution. You have to re-log in every 3 hours (sometimes more often), it's CGNAT with IPv4 only (no IPv6) and sometimes the gateway is heavily loaded and the performance is very poor so you have to disconnect and reconnect. Also the wifi part is unencrypted, although if you are only accessing https sites this does not matter much. Configuring your client to use DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS is also a good idea.

But for what the OP wants it should be suitable provided there is a strong enough wifi signal.

Typical speed test result

Edited by gc1 (Fri 07-Aug-20 09:42:35)

Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Fri 07-Aug-20 09:49:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I already have a router for SIM but I am not spending money on such a contract, I am already paying for broadband that includes hotspots, I simply wish to make it work.

Please respect my request

=====================================================================
Please do not give me an answer that says to do something else, I am only interested in solving this problem.
Being rude to a sensible reply isn't going to get you out of your otherewise insoluble problem.

Picking up local BT free wifi from domestic BT Customers' routers is simply not going to work, as you should realise from the intervening posts.

I did not suggest taking out any contracts!

You say you already have a suitable router. So use it?

See these GiffGaff plans, monthly but cancel at any time. (That's O2)
Also (cheaper perhaps), similar Smarty plans. (That's Three).

Take your pick - one of those, or head in the sand with the communications facility of an ostrich. wink tongue smile.

I think it is entirely reasonable for me to ask for the answer to MY question NOT some other problem.

I think it is RUDE of YOU not to respect my request for replies focused on the actual technical issue I am trying to solve.

I think it is RUDE of YOU to think you know better, I had this working before and I want to again

I think your reply is utterly RUDE.

I explained I am only prepared to invest in a capital investment, i.e. a device that I can use for another purpose and NOT on data with another contract, I also explained that the mobile signal is dire here and I had bought SIMS from all the providers.

If you are in London and someone asks you directions on how to get them to Brighton do you reply "oh no you are better off going to Scotland, you can take the M1 Motorway."

If you can't do what is asked or you have no technical solution to offer then move on to another post please.

Edited by thinkbfan (Fri 07-Aug-20 09:53:47)

Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Fri 07-Aug-20 10:02:20
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

What ARE you talking about, it is BT that is selling this, I am a BT customer using my BT login to access it.

The open source FON system pioneered using unused broadband to share bandwidth over hotspots.

I remember renting a villa in Spain many years ago, there was no WiFI for miles

However, I discovered that It had a roof terrace with a mesh dish the size of a dustbin lid with a wire to a simple DLINK device.

That mesh was an antenna allowing it to pick up free wifi from miles away.

Obviously one should consider such networks as insecure but for browsing, listening to the radio and streaming it was fine.

Now BT offer BTWIFI as a service, customers can turn it off but they get no more bandwidth by doing so, please do not blame me if you have a problem with that.

If you want to confirm open your laptop, disable any auto login to wifi and look for SSID's you will almost certainly see BTWifi if you are in any build up area.

All I am trying to do is improve reception and repeat a signal, it really is that simple.
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Fri 07-Aug-20 10:12:23
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Thanks that is a very good point

I did some experimenting yesterday and it appeared point the router in one direction was better for finding an "excellent" signal while rotating it a bit clockwise led to a signal that was "good" but maintained longer periods of connection.

I have discovered that Linksys offers pretty weak ability in some models to home in on one network but on others does allow one to specify a mac address rather than an SSID

WDS Interface – Select Enable.
Remote Address – Enter the MAC address of the remote AP you are creating the link to. In this example, the MAC address B4:75:0E:1B:0A:80 is used.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNu...
Standard User thinkbfan
(newbie) Fri 07-Aug-20 10:24:44
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

That is an interesting point, I have seen people complaining when they disabled it but it still showed, then they were told to wait 28 days and it still showed.

Others successfully disabled it but got no improvement so maybe you are right

A bit like when Amazon allow you to bid on their unused server MIPs you can be running a virtual server and then suddenly get kicked off because the paid for dedicated server needs it

That may explain what is happening here, that the local BT subscriber has a spike request (e.g. kids load up netflix) and rather than lower my speed they boot me off.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to