General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Dec-20 10:16:42
Print Post

Re: Anyone got a VOIP adapter

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Hi Clive

With multiple incoming lines (PSTN and VOIP) and multiple handsets (which I can only assume are spread around your house) it does sound like a DECT system would be most suited for you sadly, if you want to convert your existing setup of multiple plugged in handsets to VOIP using a single ATA then its going to need a fair bit of rewiring after the NTE I believe for those handsets to continue to work.

Edited by dect (Mon 28-Dec-20 10:17:34)

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Dec-20 11:17:41
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

The wiring is already there for both the BT line and the VoIP line from the SPA112 to the rooms where I wanted one or the other, or indeed both. (I currently use a Delta 700 2-line phone on my desk for both BT & VoIP)

My real question is whether there is a way, with digital VoIP phones, ie with the ATA built in, to operate in the same way as two standard analogue phones connected to the same BT line? Say one upstairs and one downstairs.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 28-Dec-20 11:45:18
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I have a Fritz!Box router with built-in DECT and VoIP. You can register your existing DECT phones and the router acts as the base station. Your POTS landline and any VoIP numbers will ring on your existing handsets.

I have a landline number (which I don't know) and Sipgate VoIP numbers and it all works well. The Fritz has an answering machine set up to take the landline calls without ringing and tells people to go away while the VoIP callers get advice to call my mobile!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tdw42
(member) Mon 28-Dec-20 14:19:04
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Since it appears that ATAs are disappearing, a better(?) option would seem to be to use a phone with built in VoIP. However, since we are used to being able to pick up any phone for an incoming call (the SPA112 seems quite happy ringing three phones), is there a way where with one VoIP "number" you can have multiple handsets? These being plugged in handsets, as we are not that keen on cordless phones.

Cisco seem to be killing off their ATAs, but other manufacturers are still producing them.

If the SIP provider allows multiple devices to be registered to the same service then the SIP server will signal all of them for incoming calls, however you usually can't transfer calls between the devices.
Standard User nrb501
(regular) Mon 28-Dec-20 21:39:31
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Cisco are still producing VoIP ATAs, the SPA112 has recently been replaced by the ATA191. It is available in two versions, one for use within Cisco VoIP systems and a "Multiplatform" version that can be used with pretty much any VoIP server. I'm currently using one for two lines on the A&A VoIP service.
Standard User tdw42
(member) Mon 28-Dec-20 22:50:28
Print Post

[re: nrb501] [link to this post]

Thanks. I note that both versions require a Cisco support contract in order to get firmware updates.
Standard User jaba
(member) Tue 29-Dec-20 12:37:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by tdw42:
Thanks. I note that both versions require a Cisco support contract in order to get firmware updates.

I don't think so. I downloaded and updated my SPA122 firmware last week without contract to 1.4.1 SR5. after reading about the potential security issues with these ATAs. I also changed my passwords for the admin and cisco accounts on the ATA as this always seems a prudent thing to do.

If Cisco do drop ATAs from their product line there are plenty of other manufacturers still in this growing market.
Standard User tdw42
(member) Tue 29-Dec-20 15:49:14
Print Post

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaba:
In reply to a post by tdw42:

I don't think so. I downloaded and updated my SPA122 firmware last week without contract to 1.4.1 SR5. after reading about the potential security issues with these ATAs. I also changed my passwords for the admin and cisco accounts on the ATA as this always seems a prudent thing to do.

The old SPA products have freely accessible firmware, possible as they were originally Linksys products. The equivalent ATA19x do not - it may be a case of just having to register on the Cisco website, but previous experience with Cisco wireless APs was that you need an active support contract.
Standard User jaba
(member) Tue 29-Dec-20 16:18:18
Print Post

Ah I see. Time to move on when the time comes to more user friendly makers, Grandstream perhaps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to