General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Tue 09-Feb-21 16:34:47
Print Post

Speedtest BT Wholesale dot com

[link to this post]

According the the TTB speedtest my 40/10 FTTC is giving me about 36/9. Gospel, obvs.

Someone somewhere here linked to a BT speedtest. I did a test and it showed over 70 down. Again, over 77. Then a really low one and now 148. But always with P poor uploads of 5 or 6.

Obviously I haven't followed the instructions, am using WiFi and other folk are using the connection. Which should get a lower download. And certainly one lower than 40.

So if you want to increase your download to impossible speeds...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-21 17:22:09
Print Post

Re: Speedtest BT Wholesale dot com

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Usually that is caused by a virus checker or some other software that is interfering with the speed test.
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Tue 09-Feb-21 17:46:27
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Usually that is caused by a virus checker or some other software that is interfering with the speed test.

No virus checker on this PC! I agree running software could have an affect, but I always assumed it would mean a slower than actual result, not an impossible one!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Tue 09-Feb-21 19:50:26
Print Post

It’s showing more 200Mbps Down and 18Mbps Up on my 80/20 line. Methinks the ‘down’ side is broken. No other checker I use (Zen, Ookla, TBB) ever gives a down rate that high. It’s not even synced at that! I hope customers aren’t being promised anything based on that rate result?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-21 20:27:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
No virus checker on this PC! I agree running software could have an affect, but I always assumed it would mean a slower than actual result, not an impossible one!

Try different browsers, and an Ethernet connection to your router, and turn off WiFi if you can.

Windows 10 has built in Defender, and macOS has Apple's built in defences, but any other security product from ANY vendor (Symantec, McAfee, Malwarebytes, Bitdefender etc) should be uninstalled and the machine rebooted.

Sometimes you find some of these products left behind on even brand new PCs from the factory image, which means searching the internet for the product "rip it out fully" tools.

Alternatively it could be some caching going on in your ISP (e.g. transparent proxy cache), typically these days only used in mobile ISPs.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to