General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Thu 22-Apr-21 10:08:56
Print Post

Wiring BT Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL MK4 faceplate

[link to this post]

May I pick the learned collective brains as regards BT Master Sockets - I believe its a NTE5c MK2 and with the lower faceplate removed looks like this

** amended later **

(Original direct image link replaced with source webpage link - see further comments below re “hot linking” and blocking)

https://telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/bt-open...

In preparation for the installation of FTTC I have purchased a VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 which replaces the phone only socket (at the expense of covering the whole face of the master) and provides an RJ11 data and normal BT voice socket options.

On the reverse of the MK4 faceplate there is an A/B cam socket and I understand that this can be used to take a hardwired (filtered) broadband signal directly to a modem/router. Using my multimeter I can see 50v across these A/B terminals (which I believe is expected).

Could anyone confirm for VDSL purposes that I need to wire A/B to pins 3/4 on an RJ11 into the modem (Vigor 130)

On the front of the lower Master Socket (remember the faceplate has been removed) as per above photograph there is another cam type connection showing pins 5/3/2 which I believe is for hard wiring an internal telephone extension (ie voice).

I have hardwired (pins 5/2) to an RJ11 socket (again pins 5/2) but I am not getting any dial tone and there is no voltage across any of the socket's connections (5/3/2). I am wondering whether this is indicative of a fault with the master socket or am I being somewhat ham-fisted with my wiring?

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

Edited by farrinaf (Thu 22-Apr-21 13:16:07)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Apr-21 11:01:31
Print Post

Re: Wiring BT Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL MK4 facepl

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

The AB terminals are UNFILTERED and they are used to take a signal to another socket NOT direct to a modem.

To connect to the modem, using a patch lead from the data socket, or if a data extension is used, from that socket.

Why are you using an RJ11 for voice? It should be a standard BT socket. Yes it should be 5 & 2 as a minimum, and if nothing works when plugged in it is likely to be your wiring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 11:40:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Safari on my iPad won't let me view the OP's link, saying it is Hotlinked. Which I had to Google.

It sounds dodgy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Apr-21 12:01:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The OP has been around for a while - nothing suspicious though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 13:01:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I don't really suspect the OP, but it's still odd.

My Win10 laptop and Chrome do it as well. Neither machine will let me proceed. Exactly the same banner message, not from any third party internet security system, which are always labelled.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Thu 22-Apr-21 13:06:59
Print Post

I had linked directly to the image source from a webpage, which seems to have caused a bit of an issue.

Have amended my original post above to reflect this

The original page is here

https://telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/bt-open...

Therein the image is also shown as hotlinked. I can only assume the site owner (or more likely the host) doesn’t like direct links.

Thanks for the general input so far, which I shall ponder, before reverting back for any further clarifications.

Cheers

Added Later I think its a wordpress site, more here

https://themeisle.com/blog/prevent-image-hotlinking-...

Edited by farrinaf (Thu 22-Apr-21 13:16:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 13:36:32
Print Post

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

That links OK smile. Incidentally, the Hotlink message I'm getting is the picture after the "insides" one smile.

What's wrong with simply using the sockets on the faceplate? Hard-wiring modems or phones is very unusual.

Also:
On the reverse of the MK4 faceplate there is an A/B cam socket and I understand that this can be used to take a hardwired (filtered) broadband signal directly to a modem/router. Using my multimeter I can see 50v across these A/B terminals (which I believe is expected).
Don't you mean the connections on the NTE5, not the back of the faceplate?

As MHC says, the A/B terminals are to take the unfiltered signal to a remote socket. Bear in mind that if only a modem or modem/router is connected to such a socket then no filter is needed. Modems filter out all the ones they aren't built for anyway.

========================
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Apr-21 15:46:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't really suspect the OP, but it's still odd.
The third party website has been configured to stop people linking directly to their pictures and instead show a different picture which contains the no entry symbol!

This is an attempt to stop their pictures being used on other websites. If you load the original page that includes the pictures, they load correctly.

This is a copyright protection measure happening wholly on the remote website, nothing different on your computer/tablet/phone. Its unusual to see this today, most paranoid sites would just force a reload of their homepage, or maybe the blog page containing the text and images.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 16:08:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks James.

========================
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Sun 25-Apr-21 15:45:55
Print Post

Just to clarify (or bizarrely answer one of my own questions) which was

On the front of the lower Master Socket (remember the faceplate has been removed) as per above photograph there is another cam type connection showing pins 5/3/2 which I believe is for hard wiring an internal telephone extension (ie voice). I have hardwired (pins 5/2) to an RJ11 socket (again pins 5/2) but I am not getting any dial tone and there is no voltage across any of the socket's connections (5/3/2).

The explanation is whilst the front face plate is removed from the 5C this cam connection is in a disconnected state . Logical when you belatedly think about it as when testing the line via the master socket you would want all extensions disconnected from the circuit – DOH!

The reason I want to hardwire from the AB connectors on the back of the Mk4 socket (rather than use the RJ11 data out on the front) is the modem is about 40 feet away and I want to use “proper” twisted four core cable and not the thin flat stuff normally associated with RJ11 plugs.

My current (amended) intention is to use the standard front BT socket on the MK4 for taking a voice feed and the AB socket on the reverse of the MK4 for the modem. If my understanding is correct the MK4 socket will have done its job and separated the broadband/voice frequencies at the master socket so no other filters should be required.

I cannot use the 5/3/2 output cam on the actual 5C master socket as this is before any filtering and would require me to introduce additional filters on the voice circuit.

Go live day is Thursday next - wish me luck (when my hypothesis is shot down in flames!)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to