Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrevorSP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-20 17:50:54
Print Post

Has anyone any experience with Palicomp Limited

[link to this post]

Going to have to buy a new computer this week, as my homemade one, when the i7 first came out, has a duff motherboard.

It is OK at the moment, and I have managed to get it back up and running, but only able to use one sata port at the moment, so I have just got an SSD running Windows 10 Pro, Steam and a few other selected programs !!!

I was looking at prices on Amazon UK and Palicomp Limited .
Has anyone got one or had any experience with them, they do have some good reviews, but things like, "My son loved it" etc. Nothing too specific!

Any suggestions welcomed smile

Regards,
Trevor

BT 80/20 and Mobile phone package. Happy with both

Edited by TrevorSP (Sun 31-May-20 17:51:55)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-20 22:56:44
Print Post

Re: Has anyone any experience with Palicomp Limited

[re: TrevorSP] [link to this post]

I bought a computer from Palicomp in either 2008 or 2009. PC was fine and as expected, but don't expect any sort of after sales support etc. I think it is a one man band and they are rather "sharp" on the phone. The value for money of the PC was fine though and it lasted for years.

Edit - In the current climate I think it is best to build your own PC. If I was going to get an assembled one though I'd probably buy from QuietPC these days - really good support and build quality.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 31-May-20 22:57:43)

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 01-Jun-20 02:12:08
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I bought my current PC from Novatech about 2.5 yrs ago and I'd rate them at 100% for the one occasion I contacted them for help about 18months after my purchase. I got a quick, accurate and informed response.

If I ever buy another 'built to spec' computer it would be from them based on past experience.

Edit - I had a look at the Palicomp site and for interest 'specced' a machine. I was very surprised at some of the items listed as chargeable extras, one example is £25 for Cable Management (something I would expect as a matter of course in a professionally 'made to measure' PC) -

"With this option, we will make every effort to hide all the cables inside your new PC.
This has 3 benefits, firstly it will make the PC nicer to look at with cables strapped together neatly and attached to bays that are out of sight etc, it will also aid in airflow design, so that air can flow in and out of the PC base unit easier without cables getting in the way. Finally there is no chance of any stray cables moving into any fans or moving parts etc."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC

Edited by longedge (Mon 01-Jun-20 10:21:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 06:41:12
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Another vote here for Novatech. I've bought three computers from them and have been pleased with all of them. Currently I'm salivating over their top of the range Palladian gaming PC, but at over 3 grand it would be a serious investment.

If you already have components such as SSD and hard disks, have you thought about one of their barebones range?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stay Elite - Control the Plebs - Save our Dom
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 12:50:48
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

I have bought laptops and PC components from Novatech in the past - my last few home build PCs have been from components from Novatech.

So, I would add my own endorsement of Novatech - they are good value for money and generally very knowledgeable. If building from components they are also happy to look at your component list to make sure it will all work together.

The added benefit is their main site was only a 30 min drive from where I used to live so I could pop down there at short notice to collect.
Standard User TrevorSP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 14:48:20
Print Post

Thank you all for taking the time to reply in such detail.
I will immediately be looking at your suggestions.

Whilst I would love to build my own at the moment, this is not practical, even though I have been building my own since forever.

This will be my fist personal PC that has not been built by me!
The thought of it just winds me up, but that's life smile

Thanks again,

Regards,
Trevor

BT 80/20 and Mobile phone package. Happy with both
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jun-20 16:46:23
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

"Cable Management"

Is that for a couple of cable ties to hold the cables against the tower case?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 18:15:59
Print Post

My previous Core Duo was a barebone from Novatech and it has given me 11 years until the PSU which I had replaced gave up, the original is still working. Last year I bought another barbone i5 and am really pleased with it. All the cable management is neat and well organised and it is just what I need. Hope it lasts 11 years like my previous one.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 01-Jun-20 18:21:37
Print Post

Another vote for Novatech.

It's a while since I bought a PC (I prefer Macs tongue) but when I needed a couple with no OS loaded (for some Linux work) they were very helpful.

Bill
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 01-Jun-20 20:32:57
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
"Cable Management"
Is that for a couple of cable ties to hold the cables against the tower case?

The wording in italics is copied from the website. I was 'gobsmacked' when I saw it. Pay us an extra £25 and we'll build it tidily and try to make sure there's no cables flapping about that might get tangled in a fan 🤣.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to