User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User asejfh
(newbie) Sat 24-Aug-19 23:47:35
Print Post

1gbps but slow downloads

[link to this post]

hi,
i pay for the 1gbps line and struggle to break even 50mb/s in real time downloads while my supposed speeds on tests are fine.
has anyone suffered from this problem as i've had an engineer come out and tell me that my line is perfectly fine while it keeps dropping then having support regurgitate the same drivel

this is a test i just did https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15666859988...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Aug-19 00:45:04
Print Post

Re: 1gbps but slow downloads

[re: asejfh] [link to this post]

Tried running it using IPv4?

What speeds did the engineer get then? It is possible for you to have slow speeds and there be nothing wrong with the wiring beyond lots of others in the building using it a lot.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 25-Aug-19 17:30:09
Print Post

asejfh

Your downloads are also limited by the speed of the connection and equipment you are downloading from. Many commercial sites limit speeds to handle more synchronous customers.

It may also be limited by the computer you are downloading to.

Your speedtest says that single threads are slow but multiples are faster which indicates congestion in the Internet between you and the end point BUT far more than would be normal for a TBB speedtest. Does you machine have a large number of cores for multi-tasking.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User asejfh
(newbie) Sun 25-Aug-19 21:55:40
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I do have an i7-6700k so my multithread downloads are good.
Generally I'm downloading from Steam or other clients which should be maxing out the speeds.
This is the test on IPv4 https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15667664528...
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Mon 26-Aug-19 08:49:42
Print Post

How is your PC connected to the router? Ethernet or wifi?

Have you tried plugging the Hyperoptic WAN cable directly to your PC?

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Aug-19 12:50:48
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Looks like congestion, Wi-Fi issues usually give a different shape to the throughout graphs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 26-Aug-19 14:07:00
Print Post

asejfh

I assume you have turned of Steam completely before doing your speed test otherwise it will be contending with the test.

You have to make sure steam is set up correctly as it will need many threads to many different sources to utilise your complete bandwidth the distant ends are likely to be limiting each stream as they will not have your bandwidth. Most people on FTTC will limit steam uploads to around 5Mb (or lower) to prevent interference with their own service, thus you will only get 5Mb downloads from them. You would then require 200 threads to utilise your 1Gb and may get restrictions within providers networks from setting up that many streams at once.

Alternatively if there are a number of people doing the same sort of downloading in the same local network you could all be restricted by congestion in that segment. More than a couple of people maxing out Steam can easily cause congestion. . .
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:05:10
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Eh?

Steam uses CDNs for downloads; very few connections, very high throughput.
It isn't peer 2 peer, so it won't matter if people have FTTC.

For the record, when I was on the 1gbit service (I've since dropped to 150 purely to save some cash), Steam downloads of games would go at 95MB/sec, or "just shy of 1gbit".
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Thu 29-Aug-19 15:18:09
Print Post

Hey there,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues. Please send us a message with your account details and we'll arrange someone to call you and test your line.

Thanks in advance.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to