User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User edwinbradford
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 19:47:33
Print Post

Hyperoptic ZTE ZXHN H298A Wi-Fi speed slow?

[link to this post]

Hyperoptic have sent me a new ZTE ZXHN H298A router. I'm getting about 175Mbps up and down over ethernet on my PC but only 30-40Mbps up and down at best over Wi-Fi. I'm measuring Wi-Fi speed on my Smart TV's IEEE 802.11ac connection which is two meters away from the router, I don't have a 5GHz Wi-Fi adapter for my PC yet but plan to get one.

It's difficult to find any information on or reviews of the ZTE ZXHN H298A. Does 30-40Mbps over 5GHz Wi-Fi two meters from the router sound normal or is it too slow? Would I see faster Wi-FI speeds if I purchased a different router and just used the ZTE ZXHN H298A as a modem assuming that's possible?

My knowledge of Wi-Fi hardware and protocols is not great.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Mar-20 20:37:19
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic ZTE ZXHN H298A Wi-Fi speed slow?

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

May have got this wrong...

Smart TV may have 802.11ac but have you checked which band it is actually connecting on. Also speed tests on smart TV's can be hit and miss, as the web browsers don't have the same CPU power as a PC generally.

The TV will work a lot better if connected using Ethernet.

If an appartment building you may also have lots of other devices sharing the same wireless bands.

First step name the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands with different names and get then teach the TV just the 5GHz name and password.

For best wireless speeds people on plenty of ISP find sourcing their own wireless router can improve things. No need to use the ZTE as a modem as you can replace the ZTE with other routers (unless you have the Hyperoptic voice line run running from the ZTE - in which case leave the ZTE in its router mode and connect another device running in wireless access point mode)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 23:05:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, my 5GHz is a separate SSID to the 2.4GHz so I can see which band the TV is using. I also wasn't sure whether CPU speed affects speed test results and it's interesting to see that you think it might because I can hopefully get better speeds on my PC once I get a 5GHz compatible adapter.

I found this resource this evening which is very thorough, I'm reading through it to try and raise my understanding. If I can't get a reasonable Wi-Fi speed once I have a 5GHz Wi-Fi adapter to test with I'll take a look at the hardware section in the other forum.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Mon 30-Mar-20 19:47:50
Print Post

Hey there,

We want you to achieve the best speeds possible. If you're on 150Mb, on wireless you should be able to achieve between 30Mb and 80Mb on a 2.4Ghz band, and between 70Mb and 150Mb on a 5Ghz band. We would advise checking the speed of 5Ghz on several devices using http://speed.hyperoptic.com/ to ensure this is not device related.

Everything you need to know about speeds, from what could be influencing your speeds to what you can try at home, can be found here: https://www.hyperoptic.com/help/speed/

In addition to that, of course, you can get in touch with our friendly Customer Support or contact us here on the forum.

We hope this helps and we're here if you have any further questions. smile

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(regular) Mon 30-Mar-20 20:13:11
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Hi Hyperoptic,

Thanks for replying, I'm still trying to figure out what the issue is. My speed over ethernet is perfect so it's some Wi-Fi issue. I should get a 5GHz adapter in the post this week after which I can do some more testing and report back.
(isp) Tue 31-Mar-20 15:53:20
Print Post

Hi,

You're most welcome.

If you notice the same issues once you test out the connection, feel free to get in touch with our Customer Support to assist or ping us here for more information.

Thank you. smile

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(regular) Tue 31-Mar-20 16:28:42
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Okay my 5GHz adapter arrived today. I bought this Foktech AC600 one (from Ebay to avoid Amazon's shipping charges) as a cheap test thinking I'd probably have to upgrade the router too or otherwise boost the signal somehow. I was wrong... the speed has gone up to a whopping 150Mbps down and 110Mbps up. I'm blown away by what a difference 5GHz makes, based on the 2.4GHz speeds I've been getting I was expecting to get 30Mbps if I was lucky. Best sixteen pounds I ever spent.
(isp) Tue 31-Mar-20 18:15:32
Print Post

Hi there! We're glad to hear your wifi connection has improved. If you ever need us to check any aspect of your connection, feel free to get in touch. Stay safe!

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Print Thread

Jump to