User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(member) Thu 05-Sep-19 15:53:16
Print Post

New modem/router

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I currently have a BT Openreach modem (Huawei HG612) and an Apple Time Capsule router (the supplied BT router, never used, is in a box in the loft) but the Time Capsule may be getting shaky and they no longer make them.

I plan to move to IDNET when current BT contract expires but will need a new modem/router assuming I have to send the BT ones back.

Any recommendations for a modem/router that is compatible with Apple’s Time Machine backup? I want to be able attach a portable USB drive and just let it work.

Many thanks

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
BT Infinity 80/20 Unlimited
Huawei Openreach VDSL modem/Apple Time Capsule
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Sep-19 16:31:52
Print Post

Re: New modem/router

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

They don't bother asking for the Openreach units back, especially as you are still on an Openreach based service. At most they might send you a return bag for the HomeHub (but that is rare to the point I don't think they bother at all).

So all you should need to do is add the new IDNet login details to the PPPoE session the time capsule runs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User astanden
(member) Thu 05-Sep-19 17:42:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thankyou.

Good to know BT don’t want the Openreach modem back.

Still looking for Time Capsule alternative in case mine does go kaput!

Thanks again.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
BT Infinity 80/20 Unlimited
Huawei Openreach VDSL modem/Apple Time Capsule

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Sep-19 20:14:32
Print Post

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

Netgear Nighthawk X6 - https://amzn.to/2ZQawgn £149 not the cheapest but well specified device

Netgear routers with USB (i.e. ReadyShare) should work with Time Machine they have an article on setting it up https://kb.netgear.com/21360/How-to-setup-Time-Machi...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to