User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 17:10:49
Print Post

Email

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Sorry for more questions wink

I have read on another IDNET forum (admittedly from 2007 so things may have changed), that there may be issues using 3rd party email services eg. Gmail, GMX etc.

This from IDNetters forum:

If you are using the client to check other email accounts, such as GMail, Yahoo etc, you must use the IDNet SMTP server to send messages from those accounts. However to collect mail from non-IDNet accounts you must set your email client to the names of their POP servers, eg pop.googlemail.com etc.

Is this still the case or can I keep the current email settings for all my email providers in my email client (Apple Mail), or will I need to change the outgoing mail settings?

Thanks

adam

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
BT Infinity 80/20 Unlimited
Huawei Openreach VDSL modem/Apple Time Capsule
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sat 22-Feb-20 22:22:53
Print Post

Re: Email

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

Have used IDNet as my ISP for two years now. Since long before IDNet I have used Thunderbird for all my e-mail accounts (Google, Yahoo, BT, an account on my own domain not hosted by IDNet and another account on an external domain not hosted by IDNet). Whether the account is POP3 or IMAP Thunderbird is directed to the SMTP server of the account supplier. There was absolutely no change in my access to the accounts after I moved to IDNet.
Standard User astanden
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 22:26:11
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Great thanks.

As the post I found was from 2007, things must have changed.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User steve195527
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 10:01:50
Print Post

I'd be more concerned about if you ever leave bt,under their present system you have to pay to keep your email account active or lose it,your message re servers is normal for sending messages from email clients,you use your isp servers to send but you have to set things to recieve from the servers of email service you use as that is where the messages are
Standard User astanden
(member) Sun 23-Feb-20 10:29:41
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

Iíve never used the BT email, only gmail and GMX, but thanks for the heads up.

iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 10:35:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by astanden:
If you are using the client to check other email accounts, such as GMail, Yahoo etc, you must use the IDNet SMTP server to send messages from those accounts. However to collect mail from non-IDNet accounts you must set your email client to the names of their POP servers, eg pop.googlemail.com etc.

This is fairly common. Most ISPs restrict port 25 (which is used when sending email) to prevent their network being used to send spam. The only connection they allow via port 25 is to their own email server which gives them control over what gets sent out.

https://support.prolateral.com/index.php?/Knowledgeb...

However when collecting email you always have to contact the actual server that holds your account because only that server normally has access to your mail box.

The only thing puzzles me about that statement is that I don't think IDNet do block port 25. I run my own mail server so I need port 25 unblocked (so that my mail server can send mail for me) and I'm pretty sure Support told me that it wasn't blocked in the first place. I've also found this article online:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/01/19/uk-isps...

"The Director of IDNet , Simon Davies , told ISPreview:

"That's a simplistic view and is also futile. It is the same argument that says that if you block P2P ports then you'll stop illegal music filesharing. No, you won't. The traffic will just move to other ports and/or SSL-encrypted channels.

Most SMTP servers accept incoming connections on port 587 and also 465 for TLS. Blocking port 25 wouldn't slow down the spammers for very long at all but it would inconvenience the very many, mostly business use, legitimate reasons for being able to reach port 25."

I would contact Support to clarify but to be honest IDNet just isn't the kind of 'Mickey Mouse' ISP that does stupid stuff. It provides an honest and traditional service that allows its customers to use the internet in whatever (legal) way they want to. It does not put blocks or obstacles in place to try and control us.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 23-Feb-20 10:36:01)

Standard User astanden
(member) Sun 23-Feb-20 11:37:51
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrue,

It did seem a little odd. Iíve never had to use BTís email servers for my gmail or GMX accounts. As IDNet is a monthly contract Iíll suck it and see. I can always use the webmail portals worst case scenario.

Iím just a bit OCD when it come to changing provider wink

I have registered for the customer run IDNet forum but havenít had admin approval yet, so thanks to everyone helping me out on TBB

iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
Standard User steve195527
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 12:04:37
Print Post

I only moved from idnet to save a bit of money on my combined cost of tv broadband and phone:-sky wanted to increase my package price by £10/month and remove legacy f1 from my package unless I subscribed to sky sports at an extra cost,at the smae time virgin were installing cables in our area,offering fibre to the home I get over 385mb(no coax)with a free to use phone package,to any no,and a tv package that made sky look very pricey for what they were offering ,for service idnet have been by far the best isp I have ever used but wasn't prepared to pay the extra that sy wanted so plumped for the virgin offer,still use idnet for emails though
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Feb-20 13:56:30
Print Post

I have never had to use an ISP's SMTP servers since 2007, since when I have been with O2, IDNet, Plusnet and AAISP. Now with Three mobile broadband.

At worst they block Port 25 to other SMTP servers, but there were nearly always alternatives available on the desired server that were not blocked. Nobody with any sense uses Port 25 anyway these days as it is not secure.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:32:05
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steve195527:
I'd be more concerned about if you ever leave bt,under their present system you have to pay to keep your email account active or lose it,your message re servers is normal for sending messages from email clients,you use your isp servers to send but you have to set things to recieve from the servers of email service you use as that is where the messages are

I think that is perhaps not the latest information. There is an article on the BBC news website (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51571275) reporting that OfCom is writing to broadband companies to ask why some people are having to pay to keep old email addresses. The article includes the quote:

"BT says people can keep their email addresses for free using a basic service that's only accessible via a browser, but that customers who want to maintain their normal email service, they have to pay £7.50 per month."

Even that is not strictly true as I access an old BT e-mail account for which I pay no charge through Thunderbird.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to