Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Oct-20 21:27:19
Print Post

Re: Might try a Mac next time

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I bought my 21’ iMac 7 years ago after getting dogged off with Windows machines proving irksome.

Still got it, still works a treat, hassle free. Would never go back.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 08:37:01
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks peeps, again. My computer have just crashed again with a Blue screen of death, win32kfull.sys. Not that it is very blue these days.

It will be a while before I do anything, need to put some more money into the bank been spending a fair bit over the last few months. so that will give me time to sort things out.

time machine is amazing, I have seen it in action and make Macrium reflect look useless and yet it is a pretty useful bit of kit.

The monitor I have is pretty good, but then it did cost me £300 so it should be, yes I know there are monitors that cost a lot more. if I went for a Mac, I would like to use it as a second monitor, but Macs uses thunderbolt, so I am not sure if it would be possible.

As you said Macs hardware is more standardised and that is why the OS is more reliable, I know some of my hardware is getting on, my sopund card for a start and maybe I could remove it and just use the built-in sound, my Scanner is ancient, but it does what I need and for the amount of time I use it, I really do not want to pay out for a new one.

My niggle is that I have software on my computer that I have paid a fair bit for and I would lose the use of them unless the providers give me a discount on MAc versions.

Not that I have the time now as i am going out to put a card reader into my brothers computer, but when I get back I may do a clean install and not bother with software to stop stuff I do not like, apart from the start menu, I am still getting rid of that.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sun 25-Oct-20 13:08:50
Print Post

Sounds like a driver issue.

IMHO it does not pay to mix old and new hardware, the closer the 'match' the better your user experience will be.

To be honest I've not used a dedicated sound card for a few years, the onboard are so good these days there is no need so I'd take out your old soundcard and get rid off related files on the system.

Your scanner is old, get shot of it, yes it may work but for the sake of £50 (minus your staff discount) you have a modern scanner more than likely with a smaller footprint than your old one and more than likely a better scan quality https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7614860?clickSR=slp:...

Here is a radical idea for you, take out the sound card, buy the new scanner, do a clean install of W10 WITHOUT peeing about blocking this that and the other, run it for a month and see if you have any problems at all with your PC...I doubt you will.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 13:27:58
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

I'd agree 100% with that. The main difference between a PC running Windows and a Mac running OS X is that the former gives you more chances to screw up by allowing a wider selection of hardware and software. OS X is very prescriptive about what you can run - latest example is that people are having problems with HP printers.

If you stick with the Apple ecosystem then you won't have problems, but anything out of the norm is a potential problem. Or, you could say a plague on both your houses and go with Linux.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 17:11:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
The monitor I have is pretty good, but then it did cost me £300 so it should be, yes I know there are monitors that cost a lot more. if I went for a Mac, I would like to use it as a second monitor, but Macs uses thunderbolt, so I am not sure if it would be possible.
Dead easy using a Thunderbolt to HDMI/DVI/VGA adapter. I use one with my MacBook Pro and also have two monitors hooked up to my Mac mini. You can get an adapter for about £15 on Amazon so it's not an expensive fix.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 17:51:43
Print Post

You could install Parallels and use it to set up a Windows 10 virtual machine. You can then put your Windows software on the Mac and use it normally. I do this on my MacBook Pro. I have Windows 7 Professional happily running for one or two programmes there isn't a Mac equivalent for. In coherence mode your Windows programmes run alongside Apple software within the same desktop; et voilà.

With Parallels you can take a snapshot of your Windows virtual machine before updates and roll back quickly if everything goes 🍐or πŸ’© shaped. You can also optimize snapshots to work with Time Machine. You can see all about snapshots here.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sun 25-Oct-20 17:57:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
You could install Parallels and use it to set up a Windows 10 virtual machine. You can then put your Windows software on the Mac and use it normally. I do this on my MacBook Pro. I have Windows 7 Professional happily running for one or two programmes there isn't a Mac equivalent for. In coherence mode your Windows programmes run alongside Apple software within the same desktop; et voilà.

With Parallels you can take a snapshot of your Windows virtual machine before updates and roll back quickly if everything goes 🍐or πŸ’© shaped. You can also optimize snapshots to work with Time Machine. You can see all about snapshots here.

Or you could remove problem hardware/drivers, set up W10 fully, not mess about removing bits of it as the OP does and have a happy computing experience.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 19:22:38
Print Post

I think the OP is into video editing. A parallels machine wouldn't really be good for this. It would be a question of converting to Mac software I think. I don't think he's a gamer - if he were it would be a different ball game.

I run OS X for general use, Windows for games (try running FS 2020 on a Mac!) and Linux for development work. No OS is best for all purposes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 20:23:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Dead easy using a Thunderbolt to HDMI/DVI/VGA adapter. I use one with my MacBook Pro and also have two monitors hooked up to my Mac mini. You can get an adapter for about £15 on Amazon so it's not an expensive fix.

i did not realise that was possible, but just had a look and yes also get then to display port, so that is a good things, thanks.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 20:28:54
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I think the OP is into video editing. A parallels machine wouldn't really be good for this. It would be a question of converting to Mac software I think. I don't think he's a gamer - if he were it would be a different ball game.

I run OS X for general use, Windows for games (try running FS 2020 on a Mac!) and Linux for development work. No OS is best for all purposes.

video editing software is fine, I would change to Mac software, what i use most for video editing these days is free software, like Davinci resolve, but I would love to move to final cut if i went Mac, the problem is you are looking at £300, but it is flipping good.

Not really into Games, i have a few and one of the reason why I will keep the P.C, the other software is the Affinity suite.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to