Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 08:39:19
Print Post

Re: Might try a Mac next time

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian_c:
For occasional use iMovie is perfectly adequate (although its workflow is a bit eccentric). But it is free.

I remember a mate of mine trying Imovie on a mac and got the beach ball of death smile that was a very long time ago.,
Too basic, but thanks

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 08:44:56
Print Post

[re: nonamer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nonamer:
I have been using mac for years now and i could say that i have never had any problems until now. I think it depends on what you do... If you would need certain features, then, maybe you could wait and check.

What do you mean until now?

I know someone with six macs and the only problem she had was when she dropped her pro. I even took her old imac apart to replace the hard drive, that was fun, not.
This is what kind of pulling me back from the Mac. The modern Imacs and mac mini it is even more difficult if not impossible to update them, ok I know Imacs have the flap at the back now for memory, but if you need a bigger hard drive you are stumped and Apple charge a lot for larger storage.

I have to have a long think as i said I am in no rush.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 20:18:38
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I know someone with six macs and the only problem she had was when she dropped her pro.
I can also confirm that MacBook Pros don't like coffee being poured in them.

Don't ask me how I know this ☕️💻

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 20:27:51
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I'm surprised you don't take more care of your coffee rather than wasting it washing keyboards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 21:45:16
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I'm surprised you don't take more care of your coffee rather than wasting it washing keyboards.
It wasn't from my more expensive coffee reserves but upsetting nonetheless.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 08:47:34
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I know someone with six macs and the only problem she had was when she dropped her pro.
I can also confirm that MacBook Pros don't like coffee being poured in them.

Don't ask me how I know this ☕️💻

Ouch, but then not many machines do not like coffee being poured on them, I had to replace a keyboard on a mates laptop a few years back as he did the same thing, thankfully it did not get inside the machine.,
I bet replacing the keyboard on a Macbook would not be as easy, saying that I think most laptops are like it now.

Also a waste of good coffee, then again my mate used to have instant coffee, but normally good instant coffee

I sorted out why my machine was crashing, I think, somehow the memory settings had change in the bios, well the thing that have replaced the bios, it was trying to run the memory at a speed it is not made for and the timings were all out. So I reset them and so far, no blue screen of death.

Still thinking about a Mac, but I need to look at the pros and cons. I was on the verge of getting one before I updated this machine the last time. While I am in no rush to update, i decided that if I do update this machine it will be to a Ryzen R9.

I will wait and see what Apple brings out next year and how it is received by the Apple community

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:30:30
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

You may have seen it already but Apple have announced an event on 10 November at 10AM EST and the leaks say it will be to launch new laptops (pro and air) using the new Apple processors.
Standard User kebabselector
(committed) Mon 09-Nov-20 09:07:43
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Just to add to this point, I would probably wait based on tomorrow's announcement. Rumours point to the initial devices on Apple Silicon will be either a 12",13" or 16" MacBook (or Pro variant). I think they said they whole line will transition to their own chips in the next 2 years. The last time (from PowerPC to Intel) they did this it was done in a year.

Zen 2x services:
Line 1 (B26) 75mb down - 19mb up (Fibre 2)
Line 2 (TQ5) 39.9mb down - 9.9mb up (Fibre 1)
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-20 10:11:20
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

they did this it was done in a year.
But they said ot would take two.

Apple is prety good at expectation management.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to