General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jun-20 10:51:42
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 4G+ Mode

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'm regularly getting Speedtest.net results at very off-peak times of over 160/30, with tbb giving up to 159/30 at the same times.

That's using the unlimited SIM in my OnePlus 8 Pro.

The B311 a bit sluggish at times but I rarely speed test it. If I need snappy results on my laptop I tether to my phone, but mainly the 311 is good enough. It's mainly there to service security cameras.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 11:04:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm regularly getting Speedtest.net results at very off-peak times of over 160/30, with tbb giving up to 159/30 at the same times. That's using the unlimited SIM in my OnePlus 8 Pro.

Yes a modern phone can aggregate more bands than the desktop routers. Also you might be in a location where there are (by chance) more customers on other networks than Three. This is of course not something we can ever find out.

The B311 a bit sluggish at times but I rarely speed test it. If I need snappy results on my laptop I tether to my phone, but mainly the 311 is good enough. It's mainly there to service security cameras.

Agreed, the mobile network home routers are, in my view, made for connectivity in places where fixed line doesn't reach. The manufacturers don't update them very often, so you have Cat4 routers, when mobile phones are Cat 16 or higher.

Mobile networks will only deploy capacity in areas that it is cost effective to do so, where they are likely to get a return. No point having more than Band 3 in a rural area with 3 homes, and 5,000 sheep. smile

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jun-20 15:09:59
Print Post

Before the mast upgrades that they forecast the week before they started doing them round here about a month ago it was only Band 3 as far as I know. Unless that was all the P10 Lite could see. I only had LTE Discovery on the Huawei.

Now 3 is the most frequent one but the detector apps I have on the OnePlus see mainly 3 or 1. Two of them show two live meters which vary between every possible combination, and the directional arrow can also swap between the two known mast directions.

On wakeup of the phone it is usually on 4G but as soon as I unlock the screen 4G+ is the norm. Phone calls seem to drop it to H+ but it recovers automatically.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 16:10:10
Print Post

Before the mast upgrades that they forecast the week before they started doing them round here about a month ago it was only Band 3 as far as I know. Unless that was all the P10 Lite could see. I only had LTE Discovery on the Huawei.

Doesn't surprise me, the Three network has since 4G launched deployed Band 3.

Now 3 is the most frequent one but the detector apps I have on the OnePlus see mainly 3 or 1. Two of them show two live meters which vary between every possible combination, and the directional arrow can also swap between the two known mast directions.
It depends on the hardware Three have deployed, and they have a few vendors. They appear to be switching vendor as sites are upgraded/replaced.

On wakeup of the phone it is usually on 4G but as soon as I unlock the screen 4G+ is the norm. Phone calls seem to drop it to H+ but it recovers automatically.

A lot of the Three network doesn't yet support VoLTE on band 3 or band 1, only band 20. As the upgrades complete you'll find VoLTE works on the other bands.

Hence you switch down to 3G for voice calls, showing as H or H+ on your screen. (HSDPA)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jun-20 18:26:36
Print Post

Thanks smile.

I had some inkling of that but not that proper knowledge.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 19:01:07
Print Post

I had some inkling of that but not that proper knowledge.

No worries. Three is interesting, but in a lot of network technology they are quite behind their peers. (EE, Vodafone and O2).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to