General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(regular) Wed 17-Jul-19 21:01:54
Print Post

Huawei B525 4G+ Mode

[link to this post]

Does anyone know how the 4G+ mode works on the B525 and whether it's supposed to flip between 4G and 4G+ all the time?

Managed to get a B525 cheap(ish) yesterday from Amazon. I've been trying to locate the best position for it (hard with such a short power cable). I've noticed that the device flicks from 4G to 4G+ mode often (couple of times per minute when looking at the router login page.

Does 4G+ only activate as and when needed? I.E. does the device call for extra speed when it detects maximum load needed? Or does it negotiate with the cell and receieve "slots"?

Trying to work out if I am just on the cusp of getting 4G+ constantly, or whether it's on a calculated basis by the device.

BTW. Bridge mode is present on this model, it says it has the latest software installed as I notice other people have mentioned this mode before (and it not being there).

Cheers

Edited by gary333 (Wed 17-Jul-19 21:03:08)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-19 22:14:23
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 4G+ Mode

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Does anyone know how the 4G+ mode works on the B525 and whether it's supposed to flip between 4G and 4G+ all the time?

Which network / SIM do you have in the device?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User gary333
(regular) Wed 17-Jul-19 22:41:19
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Itís a Smarty (Three) sim. It seems to pulse on to 4G+ for bursts when streaming.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 11:37:49
Print Post

I think that is normal. When you see the + what is happening is your device is connecting to two streams of 4G transmission at the same time (known as carrier aggregation).

Depending where you are in the country, Three will be using Band 3 (1800mhz) and Band 20 (800mhz) primarily. They have a lot more capacity on Band 3 so if you can receive this signal, the mast will push you to this in preference. (In some areas, mostly cities, Three are trialling using some of their Band 1 (2100mhz) spectrum for 4G).

So when you get 4G+ your device is connecting the Band 3 (15mhz) and the Band 20 (5mhz) together to achieve 20mhz of spectrum capacity.

Do you notice any difference in speed tests?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 18-Jul-19 14:13:42
Print Post

If you want to force it on 4g+ at all times. I use this app for android

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pim97cmodwcxj4l/Huawei_Man...
Source: http://www.bez-kabli.pl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51231 Sorry, its in Polish. So is the app. Its pretty self explanatory though.

Or, if you're on pc, you can use.

http://www.gasel.info/LTEInspecteur/

Source: https://www.lte-anbieter.info/lte-forum/threads/ltei... German this time. Will have to use google translate.

Both work great for my Huawei AI Cube B900. Always on 4g+ with speeds of 50mbps+ and a constant 30mbps upload.

Edited by woodmass14 (Thu 18-Jul-19 14:15:39)

Standard User gary333
(regular) Thu 18-Jul-19 16:24:08
Print Post

That makes sense. When testing with just one device it would go in to + mode when asking for lots of data, and not in general browsing. Also at the start of videos etc.

Yep, I see Speedtest jump up from mid 20ís to anything up to early 50ís but usually low 40ís (mbps).
Standard User JackpotUK
(newbie) Tue 16-Jun-20 20:59:03
Print Post

Hi there
I have a generic Huawei B525 and would love to force it into 4G+
I went to the link you provided, but got the 404 error.
can you tell me how to do it please?
I do have a fairly good tech know how
Thanks smile
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 17-Jun-20 00:37:13
Print Post

[re: JackpotUK] [link to this post]

I use this now. Much more streamline compared to LTEInspector

https://ltehmonitor.github.io/

As i typically say.. Download at your own risk. Seems legit, i've had no problems with it but you never know nowadays.
Standard User JackpotUK
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-20 16:50:13
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Hey, thanks for that.
I've downloaded HuaCtrl which seems pretty good.
How do I force my B525-23e to 4G+ please?
I've had it happen both on SMARTY and THREE but it's very rare, especially with THREE.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 17-Jun-20 18:17:26
Print Post

Anytime smile

Open up the program, click the configuration tab, click on radio tab on the next row down.

Here you will see a list of bands. Which bands you can select is dependent on your location/mast/network. In my case with Three, the only bands available to me are 800 and 1800. So i would select 1800 as my upload band and highlight 1800+800 on the download. That forces 4G+. If the 2100MHz band is available where you are you might not be able to aggregate with band 3 (1800) as i'm not sure if your router has the capability.

Here are a list of bands that Three use.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 17-Jun-20 19:15:21
Print Post

My bad. I just noticed you used the app instead of the windows program. I uninstalled that a while ago. Login as usual. Username will be admin and whatever password you set. After that, i'm not sure. I'd need to redownload it and don't have a lot of time at this moment.
Standard User JackpotUK
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-20 22:54:13
Print Post

Thanks mate.
I started off with Smarty on my B525 and they were great - I was regularly getting 4G+ and speeds of 60Mbps, then something happened and I found I couldn't access my Dropbox which is vital to my work. I've lodged a complaint with them and they're being as helpful as they can be, but can't find out the problem...yet.
As I need my Dropbox, I've also signed up to Three and have a rolling contract with them - Dropbox works, so I know it's at Smarty's end.
Now here's the funny thing, I never get 4G+ with THREE and on speaking to rep, they told me that even though I can get 4G+ with Smarty, I can't get it with Three because 'they're working on 5g'.
Anyway, through your method, i've fixed my router to band 3 (I can only get 3 and 20 here) but still not getting 4G+.
Waiting for SMARTY to sort their stuff out so I don't have to pay for two ISPs at the same time!!

Edited by JackpotUK (Wed 17-Jun-20 22:58:12)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 17-Jun-20 23:13:00
Print Post

Hmm, that is odd. I used to own the b525. Another method to force 4g plus is head to the router page. Probably 192.168.8.1, login, click network settings tab, click mobile network searching tab, set it to 4g only and manual network search mode and click save. Choose 3 4g (or smarty? Can't say i've tried this method with smarty though) After that follow the same steps but instead of selecting a carrier, click cancel once it loads a list of available carriers. That always forced 4g plus for me. But i doubt that will work considering you can't force it with the app.

Could try changing the APN also. Though, i have no idea if a specific APN would cause problems with CA. I have to alternate between three.co.uk and 3internet sometimes.
Standard User JackpotUK
(newbie) Thu 18-Jun-20 12:28:17
Print Post

Adding something to the mix here.
So finally, my Dropbox started working throught Smarty today, so time to cancel Three (although Smarty is under the THREE 'umbrella')
Incidentally, I bought a Huawei B311 I cos I thought I'd knackered my B525 (but I hadn't, it just so happened that Smarty went down at the same time)
I used to get 4G+ (very infrequently) on my B525, so whilst I was messing around today, I put the Three simcard into my old Samsung Galaxy S7 and 4G+ right from the off!!! And various other places in my house...even tho the RSRQ was as little as -108db, I was still getting 4G+!!! both with Smarty and Three.
Yet at the same time of day and in the same places, NEITHER router would give me 4G+!!
WTH?!!
So I can get 4G+ with a poxy little phone, yet none with routers especially made for the job????
How can this be?
Any ideas?
(I'm thinking it might be better to leave the simcard in the phone and just tether it!)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jun-20 12:52:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by JackpotUK:
How can this be?

These routers are in my view, made to a price. They are not as polished as ANY of the mobile phones, especially not as good as a Galaxy S series phone.

Don't assume 4G+ is giving you better speeds. All it shows is you have joined two bands, on Three (Smarty being basically a price plan) this is most likely Band 3 and Band 20. B3 has 15mhz of LTE capacity, and B20 has 5mhz. The additional 5Mhz is really aimed at phone call coverage in hard to reach areas/buildings.

4G+ would make more sense if you have Band 3 (15Mhz) and Band 1 (10mhz or more).

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 18-Jun-20 12:54:07
Print Post

You might be an area where they are aggregating bands 1 and band 3. If so, the B525 doesn't do that, but your phone might.

Additionally your phone could be connecting to a different cell/mast which does support it.
Standard User Benjanyan
(member) Thu 18-Jun-20 14:55:04
Print Post

Saw similar with EE but with external antennas.

My B525 got a weaker signal but used CA/4g+ with a weaker signal on its internal antennas. With external antennas, it connected to a different mast with a better signal but didn't support CA/4g+ and gave worse performance.

Lots of variables involved. smile

BTW, the S7 is a cat 9 modem and supports CA on 3 bands compared to the cat 6 of the B525 and 2 bands (not that we can use 3 yet generally). As others said, the phones are usually much further ahead.

That said, I found the internal antennas in my B525 to be superior to my LG V30+ as I'm in a marginal area.

Ben
Standard User JackpotUK
(newbie) Thu 18-Jun-20 16:14:49
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

Hi Ben
Thanks so much for the info! Life is a forever learning process and I love it!
With the Three (and thus basically, Smarty as they are the same company) simcard in my S7, I started looking at the info on 'Network Cell Info Lite' - the phone was mainly connected to band 3 and speeds were so-so, despite it saying 4G+
I then noticed it switched to band 1 and I tried speedtest - BOOM 60Mbps!
So, now with the Smarty card in my B525, I'm hoping I can get Band 1 - is that possible?
A previous poster said that with various 'inspecteur' programs (I'm currently using huactrl on Android), you can force it to only receive on certain bands, so I'm thinking if I can only use 3 and 1, I can get good speeds?
The B525 HAS shown 4G+ before, so I'm guessing it CAN work.
I didn't know if it could do CA and now I know it can, and secondly that it can only do 2 bands - so thanks smile

I hear what you're saying about the internal antennae - I've tried a couple of external options and internal is by far better - crazy. I guess it'll only get better if you use one of those expensive Poynting things.

I've found a good posi for my B525 and am currently getting -4db on RSRP and -81db on RSRQ...but no 4G+ laugh

As you said, lots of variable involved, but I shall persist!

Thanks again!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jun-20 16:32:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Benjanyan:
(not that we can use 3 yet generally).

Sorry, not sure what you mean by that statement.
In many towns, on EE, Vodafone, O2 and yes Three, you can use 3 CA today. In some towns 4 CA and 5 CA is possible on EE or Vodafone.

At my parents, on Three you can CA B20, B1, B3, B32 at the same time. I've seen 400 Mbps on a speed test.

Standard User Benjanyan
(member) Thu 18-Jun-20 16:56:47
Print Post

Couldn't say for sure. And I also use HuaCtrl. You can lock to specific bands to use for sure but I don't know about the CA part. I use to avoid B20 with it's 5MHz of bandwidth and use B3 with it's 15MHz.

If open the app, hit the spanner at the bottom, there's a "set band" area with a pencil icon. You can choose your bands there. But it's up to the network and masts you're connecting to to allow it. Looks like you can configure "1800+2100".

Ben
Standard User Benjanyan
(member) Thu 18-Jun-20 17:00:38
Print Post

I was under the impression it's still fairly rare but perhaps not.

I've only seen it once personally on Vodafone peaking around 250mbps in Gosport. I generally see 5-10mbps on Vodafone though. Eugh.

Ben
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jun-20 17:06:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Benjanyan:
I was under the impression it's still fairly rare but perhaps not.

I've only seen it once personally on Vodafone peaking around 250mbps in Gosport. I generally see 5-10mbps on Vodafone though. Eugh.

You're probably in an O2 controlled area that hasn't yet been unwound.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 18-Jun-20 19:45:01
Print Post

You can access band 1 or band 3 with the B525. What you can’t have is carrier aggregation (4G+) of these two bands as it doesn’t support the combination. You can tick the boxes in software programs, but it won’t work.

Edited by gary333 (Thu 18-Jun-20 19:45:58)

Standard User JackpotUK
(newbie) Thu 18-Jun-20 22:05:53
Print Post

Hi Gary
Thanks for that.... And what a bummer.
I have had 4G+ on the router with Smarty/3, but very rarely.
See here..
4G+ on B525

What do you suggest to get a more stable 4G+ connection with Three using band 1,3 and 20? Maybe a Huawei B535?

Edited by JackpotUK (Thu 18-Jun-20 22:07:52)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 18-Jun-20 22:49:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by JackpotUK:
Hi Gary
Thanks for that.... And what a bummer.
I have had 4G+ on the router with Smarty/3, but very rarely.
See here..
4G+ on B525

What do you suggest to get a more stable 4G+ connection with Three using band 1,3 and 20? Maybe a Huawei B535?

I used to get 4G+ on Smarty most of the time until they “upgraded” the mast. I got 4G+ via aggregation of band 3 & 20. Once the mast was upgraded it would no longer allow CA over band 3 & 20. However it did gain band 1.

At this point I got rid of my B525 as both band 1 and band 3 only gave c.10mbps each. Prior to the upgrade I was getting 25-30mbps from band 3 & 20.

The B525 would prefer to connect to band 1 and would usually go to that first even though band 3 has more capacity. I’d like to think it was the mast pushing from band 3 to band 1, but could just be the B525 taking the tiny difference in RSRP causing it. However, occasionally it would swap from band 1 to band 3 so who knows.

Luckily I moved house and got a FTTC & Virgin Media connection.

Three replaced the B525 with the B535 as this supports bands 1 & 3 CA.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 07:42:40
Print Post

At this point I got rid of my B525 as both band 1 and band 3 only gave c.10mbps each. Prior to the upgrade I was getting 25-30mbps from band 3 & 20.

That is a lot of luck given the limited capacity. On Three Band 20 is always 5 Mhz. Depending on your area Band 1 can be either 10 Mhz, or 15 Mhz. Band 3 is always 15 Mhz. Other allocations apply for the other physical networks. (For those unsure Smarty is Three at this level).

Edited by jchamier (Fri 19-Jun-20 07:43:38)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 19-Jun-20 09:01:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

That is a lot of luck given the limited capacity. On Three Band 20 is always 5 Mhz. Depending on your area Band 1 can be either 10 Mhz, or 15 Mhz. Band 3 is always 15 Mhz. Other allocations apply for the other physical networks. (For those unsure Smarty is Three at this level).

Not sure I understand. What is lucky lol?

From my point of view it was the opposite. As they upgraded to new kit it was clear that the changes they had made were inferior to the old setup for my location. The speed reduced as soon as the cell site was switched back on (on band 3) and never recovered. The upgrade also prevented band 20 being used for CA so double whammy leaving me with 10mb on a good day. Previously late at night I could get 55mb. After the upgrade best speed on band 1 or 3 was <30. I dumped the service as soon as both Three and Smarty claimed the signal was poor in the area and that was reason. Ignoring that I was telling them I had “5 bars” or c. 88-91 RSRP and signal of 11+.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 09:48:26
Print Post

Not sure I understand. What is lucky lol?

The speeds you received were lucky. Most would get dramatically less. About 5 Mbps is the average on Band 20 on its own.

From my point of view it was the opposite. As they upgraded to new kit it was clear that the changes they had made were inferior to the old setup for my location. The speed reduced as soon as the cell site was switched back on (on band 3) and never recovered. The upgrade also prevented band 20 being used for CA so double whammy leaving me with 10mb on a good day. Previously late at night I could get 55mb. After the upgrade best speed on band 1 or 3 was <30. I dumped the service as soon as both Three and Smarty claimed the signal was poor in the area and that was reason. Ignoring that I was telling them I had “5 bars” or c. 88-91 RSRP and signal of 11+.

Likely they put new antenna panels on the mast, and it changed the coverage pattern. Less for you might have meant that more people served by the mast got connectivity.

It appears that on Three and EE where B20 is used it is not often CA'd with another band. The mast is in control, and can deny this to your device. The guess from other forums is that both networks want to use B20 to get phone calls indoors where other frequencies don't reach. Data only devices (such as your router) are easily identified by the mast and if the mast knows you are also connecting to another band, can deny band 20. Updated software / equipment may be better at doing this than the earlier.

On Three you really need a modem / router that can do CA on all of Band 1, Band 3, and Band 32. Unfortunately the Huawei routers are quite rubbish for this as many have stated. I suspect Three have a lot more users with handsets than routers / modems. In the end its a business decision by Three.

Edited by jchamier (Fri 19-Jun-20 09:48:44)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 19-Jun-20 10:01:10
Print Post

Ah, I think you've misunderstood my wording (or I wasn't very clear at explaining). Band 3 & 20 combined would give me a combined average of 25-30mbps. This was in the main made up from band 20 providing c.7-11mbps of the total.

After the network upgrade, that combo was no longer available.

Coverage pattern could have changed, however the new equipment improved RSRP from c. 100-102 down to -88-91ish. Signal quality also saw similar improvements. So I don't think it was the spread that was reduced. However, it could well be the spread was increased an now the mast was covering a larger more dense area of people.

However all said and done I think the equipment for whatever reason just wasn't giving as good a speed as the older equipment. Even in the middle of the night (2-4am) speeds were still shocking on either band.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 10:09:12
Print Post

Ah, I think you've misunderstood my wording (or I wasn't very clear at explaining). Band 3 & 20 combined would give me a combined average of 25-30mbps. This was in the main made up from band 20 providing c.7-11mbps of the total.

After the network upgrade, that combo was no longer available.

I gotcha, and I was trying to explain one (business) reason why Three might have changed that possibility.

Coverage pattern could have changed, however the new equipment improved RSRP from c. 100-102 down to -88-91ish. Signal quality also saw similar improvements. So I don't think it was the spread that was reduced. However, it could well be the spread was increased an now the mast was covering a larger more dense area of people.
Agreed, and this could have easily increased phone load on Band 20, so either the software, or Three network management removed your ability to CA between B3 and B20.

However all said and done I think the equipment for whatever reason just wasn't giving as good a speed as the older equipment. Even in the middle of the night (2-4am) speeds were still shocking on either band.

I read that as increased coverage means more customers = less speed, but crucially more revenue for Three to pay for these multi-million pound upgrades.

At a guess when you received 55 Mbps, the coverage was 1000 people, but when things changed, the coverage reached 2000 people. Hence the capacity was used by more. In high load areas (e.g. my parents town), Three have added Band 1 and Band 32, alongside Band 3 and Band 20.

However as you've noticed, the home routers are pretty low spec, and don't support all the changes in frequency. Mobile handsets from Samsung, Hauwei, Motorola, Apple are all much better at using what is deployed. This is a common complaint.

Cellular internet is a gamble over performance - its mostly about getting any working internet unless you are extremely rural where the number of people is unlikely to change.

Unlike Openreach or Virgin Media's networks - mobile networks change often.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jun-20 10:51:42
Print Post

I'm regularly getting Speedtest.net results at very off-peak times of over 160/30, with tbb giving up to 159/30 at the same times.

That's using the unlimited SIM in my OnePlus 8 Pro.

The B311 a bit sluggish at times but I rarely speed test it. If I need snappy results on my laptop I tether to my phone, but mainly the 311 is good enough. It's mainly there to service security cameras.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 11:04:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm regularly getting Speedtest.net results at very off-peak times of over 160/30, with tbb giving up to 159/30 at the same times. That's using the unlimited SIM in my OnePlus 8 Pro.

Yes a modern phone can aggregate more bands than the desktop routers. Also you might be in a location where there are (by chance) more customers on other networks than Three. This is of course not something we can ever find out.

The B311 a bit sluggish at times but I rarely speed test it. If I need snappy results on my laptop I tether to my phone, but mainly the 311 is good enough. It's mainly there to service security cameras.

Agreed, the mobile network home routers are, in my view, made for connectivity in places where fixed line doesn't reach. The manufacturers don't update them very often, so you have Cat4 routers, when mobile phones are Cat 16 or higher.

Mobile networks will only deploy capacity in areas that it is cost effective to do so, where they are likely to get a return. No point having more than Band 3 in a rural area with 3 homes, and 5,000 sheep. smile

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jun-20 15:09:59
Print Post

Before the mast upgrades that they forecast the week before they started doing them round here about a month ago it was only Band 3 as far as I know. Unless that was all the P10 Lite could see. I only had LTE Discovery on the Huawei.

Now 3 is the most frequent one but the detector apps I have on the OnePlus see mainly 3 or 1. Two of them show two live meters which vary between every possible combination, and the directional arrow can also swap between the two known mast directions.

On wakeup of the phone it is usually on 4G but as soon as I unlock the screen 4G+ is the norm. Phone calls seem to drop it to H+ but it recovers automatically.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 16:10:10
Print Post

Before the mast upgrades that they forecast the week before they started doing them round here about a month ago it was only Band 3 as far as I know. Unless that was all the P10 Lite could see. I only had LTE Discovery on the Huawei.

Doesn't surprise me, the Three network has since 4G launched deployed Band 3.

Now 3 is the most frequent one but the detector apps I have on the OnePlus see mainly 3 or 1. Two of them show two live meters which vary between every possible combination, and the directional arrow can also swap between the two known mast directions.
It depends on the hardware Three have deployed, and they have a few vendors. They appear to be switching vendor as sites are upgraded/replaced.

On wakeup of the phone it is usually on 4G but as soon as I unlock the screen 4G+ is the norm. Phone calls seem to drop it to H+ but it recovers automatically.

A lot of the Three network doesn't yet support VoLTE on band 3 or band 1, only band 20. As the upgrades complete you'll find VoLTE works on the other bands.

Hence you switch down to 3G for voice calls, showing as H or H+ on your screen. (HSDPA)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jun-20 18:26:36
Print Post

Thanks smile.

I had some inkling of that but not that proper knowledge.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 19:01:07
Print Post

I had some inkling of that but not that proper knowledge.

No worries. Three is interesting, but in a lot of network technology they are quite behind their peers. (EE, Vodafone and O2).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to