General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Aug-19 07:54:32
Print Post

Re: HomeFi 3 Connection Issues

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you have an Android 4G phone and put the or a Three SIM in it, the App LTE Discovery will point at the mast it connects to, and lots of info about the signal. It's possible of course at different parts of the house it would choose a different mast if things are as bad as you say.

I expect Apple have a similar app.

Indeed they do.
Open Signal has a locator along with coverage maps and a speed tester
Just follow the white arrow on the "find signal" tab

The App tells me that my Local Cell id is 10372305 and the Location Area Code is 1118 - located west of my current location.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Fri 30-Aug-19 08:23:13
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by warweezil:
If you have an Android 4G phone and put the or a Three SIM in it, the App LTE Discovery will point at the mast it connects to, and lots of info about the signal. It's possible of course at different parts of the house it would choose a different mast if things are as bad as you say.

I expect Apple have a similar app.

Indeed they do.
Open Signal has a locator along with coverage maps and a speed tester
Just follow the white arrow on the "find signal" tab

The App tells me that my Local Cell id is 10372305 and the Location Area Code is 1118 - located west of my current location.

The Open Signal app on iPhone does not know which mast you are connected to. It is just showing you the closest tower it knows about. It is not doing the same thing that LTE Discovery does.

If you want to know which mast you are connected to you need to use the builtin field test mode.

http://osxdaily.com/2018/05/02/use-field-test-mode-i...
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Fri 30-Aug-19 08:29:46
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

The data in Open Signal, around me at least, isn't good either.

It shows masts where I know there are no masts. And the mast I know I'm connected to doesn't have the right info for cell id etc that my SXT shows when connected.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Aug-19 16:56:22
Print Post

Re: HomeFi 3 Connection Issues *DELETED*

Post deleted by jchamier
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Aug-19 16:57:23
Print Post

the App LTE Discovery will point at the mast it connects to

Even outdoors on a Google Pixel or Moto E handset, the arrow is ALWAYS pointing in the wrong direction. I know, because I can physically see the two EE network cell sites near me. (one is right next door), and Cellmapper gets it right. I'm not sure you can trust LTE Discovery.

Cellmapper is a much better app. Sadly Android only (also Windows Phone I think).

Apple's security doesn't let apps talk to the hardware. The hidden Field Test mode is the only way. (Many Android phones have similar service modes, including Samsungs).

For those with rooted Android phones using Qualcomm cellular modems, look at Network Signal Guru for more technical detail about 2G/3G/4G than you'd ever want!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Fri 30-Aug-19 16:58:54)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Aug-19 01:55:15
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I find opensignal wrong in many instances too. Overall though it's probably 80 to 90% good.
Standard User mwl
(newbie) Sat 31-Aug-19 17:35:26
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

can anyone confirm if there is an option within the HomeFi (B311) to check connection speed?

most other routers i have had show this but this is my first mobile broadband router...

also i tried many of those apps and they didn't really help me locate a better position for signal and speed.... reading information from downdector it seems three had had issues for 2 months and its caused by the 5g? if this is true i will cancel my contract as im still in the 14 days cool down
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 31-Aug-19 18:08:21
Print Post

[re: mwl] [link to this post]

There's no such thing as "connection speed" on mobile broadband as in synch speed that you have on landline broadband.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Aug-19 18:19:45
Print Post

There's no such thing as "connection speed" on mobile broadband as in synch speed that you have on landline broadband.

Technically with LTE your best equivalent is the number of channels and the width of each channel, and the capability of your user equipment (ie, modem, usb stick, phone etc).

Devices that support upto 150 Mbps generally support 1 channel at a time.
Devices that support upto 300 Mbps generally support 2 channels at a time.
Devices that support upto 450 or faster support 3 channels at a time.

In many areas Three has multiple channels transmitting:
1 x 5 Mhz Band 20
1 x 15 Mhz Band 3

So with a 300Mbps of faster device with 2 channels and "channel aggregation" working, then 20mhz of LTE could be being received. This gives a theoretical maximum.

However mobile broadband is similar to US cable networks, where you share with everyone else connected to the same cell. This is why you want THE best receiver, with the most number of channels aggregated to give you the best capabilities.

Some android phones will show you what is being received in your area. The Cellmapper website often reveals the information from people whom have rooted their Android phones.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sat 31-Aug-19 18:20:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 31-Aug-19 18:21:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

That too smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to