General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Thu 17-Oct-19 11:44:23
Print Post

Three outage

[link to this post]

Today has been the first significant glitch since I switched my home Internet connection to Three mobile.

Their network was pretty much down, as far as I can tell, for 9 hours overnight. It even impacted roaming users abroad.

At the same time their website was stuck on a "we're doing maintenance" holding page. There was zero info on twitter and their press office wasn't answering the phone.

Things like this happen, but their handling of it has been extremely poor. No info at all from 10pm last night until after 8am this morning. Their first tweet of the day was a "business as usual" support query answer. There was nothing on their website or main twitter account until after their network was sort of back up.

I say sort of, because things have not been work well since. I'm seeing lots of packet loss on some US peering, sudden random >1 second latency and multiple disconnects for minute at a time.
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(learned) Thu 17-Oct-19 11:50:05
Print Post

Re: Three outage

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I noticed it was down at about 2AM when I realised my load balancing wasn't working - it was just failing laugh

I had a small blip of connection at about 7am then it came back at 09:15 whilst I was driving. I forced the connection other to the wired connection for the morning I was at home and honestly thought it was just my service until I left the house to walk the kids to school!

Since it's come back on I've noticed I'm actually getting better speeds than before. Speed tests day/night would always see a maximum speed of 120/121mb down. I could be working at 3 in the morning and it'd still peak at 120/121 either with speedtest or on the display in LTEinspecteur. Since the outage I'm getting 135-138mb down on speedstests and with LTEinspecteur which is a bit odd.

I wondered why my load balanced connection was giving me such fast speeds - 137 + 34 = 171 blush

Balanced = ~145. DOWN / 50.0 UP
PlusNet = 33.5 DOWN / 10.0 UP
Three = 120.0 DOWN / 40.0 UP

Edited by chriscdotcodotuk (Thu 17-Oct-19 11:52:54)

(member) Thu 17-Oct-19 12:09:49
Print Post

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chriscdotcodotuk:
Since it's come back on I've noticed I'm actually getting better speeds than before. Speed tests day/night would always see a maximum speed of 120/121mb down. I could be working at 3 in the morning and it'd still peak at 120/121 either with speedtest or on the display in LTEinspecteur. Since the outage I'm getting 135-138mb down on speedstests and with LTEinspecteur which is a bit odd.

Same here, some of the time. My connection is normally 85 down at best. Occasionally today I've seen >90, with even bursting to 93.

And then five minutes later, 1 second latency and 10mbps...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Thu 17-Oct-19 12:15:39
Print Post

The single stream test on TBB is even more different to normal. Normally I don't see more than about 55 down, this afternoon I'm seeing 73 !

But there is clearly some non-optimal setup in their network, as Speedtest.net thinks my nearest servers are the ones around Manchester, not Colchester and Chelmsford that it normally sees.
Standard User gary333
(member) Thu 17-Oct-19 12:18:14
Print Post

My Smarty sim went down @ 11:50PM last night completely. All 3 visible masts caput. The network appeared to refuse access to the APN at first clearly showing the network stats, but saying "invalid profile". 10 minutes later the network was refusing connections on both 3G and 4G completely and not handshaking at all.

Service started to wobble at around 5pm with the main mast going offline and pushing traffic to another which only supported band 20. I was hoping that 3 were updating the cell site to support the new band.

Service was off until 9am this morning, where it's returned but sporadic.

What annoyed me was the the page that is supposed to show network faults, has shown a fault for the entire year so far, so how are we supposed to tell if the network isn't working at all if they leave fault codes up there all the time.

Edited by gary333 (Thu 17-Oct-19 12:27:31)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 17-Oct-19 12:35:04
Print Post

Reports coming out that network upgrades in the London area have failed.

These upgrades have already rolled out in the North of England (which is why you're seeing better speeds) on the pipes in the north which we are all being routed through.

The upgrade will reflect with those speeds in the South when they manage to figure out what went wrong.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Oct-19 15:17:24
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

I'm in South Manchester and 3 went down around 23:50 and basically out until gone 9am today. That's phone service and broadband, 4G, 3G and HSPA+. HomeFi just the same. So zilch in real terms.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 17-Oct-19 15:18:15)

Standard User gary333
(member) Thu 17-Oct-19 15:20:19
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Are you saying the North should be okay and not have experienced the fault? If so, that's not the case (well certainly in South Yorkshire at least) as many of the people in my area have already been having a moan about the constant up and down of the network all day,
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 17-Oct-19 15:35:51
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Tried a couple of friends in Northern Ireland who rely on Three phone coverage, none has had any problems. Network seems fine over there.
(member) Thu 17-Oct-19 18:13:13
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

There were definitely some problems in Northern Ireland. Some of the network was up again by early this morning (it was up here in Essex for a while before it went down for another couple of hours), so some people, in some areas, may not have noticed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to