General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oidsman
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 10:28:18
Print Post

EE sim card for home broadband - viable?

[link to this post]

HI, I have an unlimited data 4G EE sim card in a Huawei B525 router. The download speeds it gives are pretty good and better than ADSl (which is the best I can get at home). In order to run it through the house I am connecting it to a BT Whole Home Wifi mesh network setup.

Trying this for the first time last night, with mulitple kids attached etc, the speeds remained good when checking on Speedtest on a mobile phone on wifi - but there did seem to be some issues:-

Videos slow to start playing
Web browsing 'freezing' for a 30 seconds
xbox getting slow speeds

My suspicion is that it is the wifi setup on teh BT Whole Home (its always been a little messy especially when adding a third disc which I now need to do in order to have 4g router on top floor)...
..but am I being unrealistic to expect the EE sim to provide home broadband in this way? Any experience using in multi user household - does it actually work OK?
Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-20 11:57:55
Print Post

Re: EE sim card for home broadband - viable?

[re: oidsman] [link to this post]

Use a phone or tablet and connect directly into the B525 wifi, on the phone or tablet run speedtest app and also surf on the phone plus any sites with videos such as Youtube and any apps for videos. If the symptoms are not there then the B525 to BT router interface or the BT router is the area to next look at.

I run on a Three sim for my home internet and have no issues.

Edited by kommando (Wed 01-Apr-20 12:00:14)

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Wed 01-Apr-20 12:08:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by oidsman:
Videos slow to start playing
Web browsing 'freezing' for a 30 seconds

Videos slow to start playing can be a thing with mobile broadband, the amount of bandwidth you get allocated by the mast seems to be dynamic, as you start playing a stream that needs a fair bit of data it takes a few seconds for the bandwidth allocated to you to ramp up. This also leads some streaming video to start off in low quality before it sees you have the bandwidth available for a better stream. I don't have a solution to this (though it feels like this has got better with most streaming services over the last year).

Freezing sounds like maybe DNS issues. I don't user Three/EE's DNS server, I use CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) and Google (8.8.8.8) instead.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-20 12:59:18
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I use the Cloudflare DNS too, only streaming issue I have is with the BBC but that's due to their lack of bandwidth as 4K Amazon prime is fine as is a netflix speed test.
Standard User oidsman
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 16:11:38
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

Its really frustrating - and I suppose depends on the usage.

So hard wired a xbox one into the router and its getting download speeds jumping between 3-20Mbps.... a speedtest on a mobile phone connected to its wifi network reports 30Mbps...

Plus xbox one shows NAT type as moderate - but thats another question....
Standard User oidsman
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 16:13:18
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I will try changing the DNS server entries and see if that makes any difference....thanks for suggestion
Standard User oidsman
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 21:28:20
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

So did some testing. Laptop and mobile phone connected to B525 wifi, top of house and next to router. Streamed hidef youtube video on laptop and netflix film. All worked pretty well.

Interestingly when then running Speedtest app on mobile , it still reports downlaod speed of 20-30Mbps with all above running. Google speedtest site only reports 3-8Mbps.... not sure which to believe.

Have set DNS to use Cloudflare and google dns as backup.

So connection does seem pretty good - so thinking main problem is with BT Mesh wifi....
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Apr-20 21:43:28
Print Post

So connection does seem pretty good - so thinking main problem is with BT Mesh wifi....
Are you trying to go too far a distance with the mesh? I guess you are using the white discs BT Wholehome, but there are multiple types, which set did you go for?

I've installed two of these setups, one in a business setting (rented building) and one in a home, and they've worked very well, but there are limitations in all mesh setups. At 20 to 30 Mbps, I wouldn't have thought you would max out the mesh design.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User oidsman
(newbie) Thu 02-Apr-20 08:29:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Hi,

Yes using the white discs....victorian house so thick walls and three floors... I'm not looking to get 30Mbps + , just want a reliable connection at various points which I was struggling with - in fact very poor performance - a lot of the time when adding the third BT disc.....

Will try and reset the layout when I can get everyone off the internet and see what happens!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Apr-20 11:05:29
Print Post

Yes using the white discs....victorian house so thick walls and three floors... I'm not looking to get 30Mbps + , just want a reliable connection at various points which I was struggling with - in fact very poor performance - a lot of the time when adding the third BT disc.....
Will try and reset the layout when I can get everyone off the internet and see what happens!
As well as the app on your phone or tablet, there is a web page if you can find out the IP of any of the discs (perhaps looking on your router). This will let you see the link speed between the discs, and it is possible you need a 4th or 5th disc to get the coverage in your property.

I also recommend turning OFF the WiFi on your router if you can (although the plusnet router shows an annoying orange logo when you do this) to help with WiFi coexistence.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to