General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Thu 02-Apr-20 21:35:47
Print Post

Vodafone - which SIM?

[link to this post]

Looking to leave Three, so I am tempted to try Vodaphone for unlimited 4G.

On their site if I chose the SIM only there is an office of half price for a few months. But i think that’s aimed at phones. If I choose data only, as it will be used in a router, I don’t get the deal.

Am I right in assuming that it doesn’t mater what sim I get?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Apr-20 23:11:44
Print Post

Re: Vodafone - which SIM?

[re: autopilot] [link to this post]

AIUI Ofcom were unhappy with Three a couple of years back for limiting how a "phone" SIM could be used, and Three backed down. So Ofcom's policy is that you should be able to use a phone SIM in your router. Or for any other purpose like SatNavs, which I did for a while but ceased for other reasons.

Whether Vodafone adhere to the Ofcom view if pushed, and are simply not telling you that you can do what you like, I'm not sure, but see this article.

Make sure you read right through smile.

There may be a slight drawback with a contract phone SIM in a router in that any service notices are sent to that SIM, and of course the routers don't alert you to such messages.

To get round that I set up an online account for the phone SIM so could log in to see if there were any. The main one on my PAYG being of course the data usage. With the Three data SIM that comes with their HomeFi routers notifications come to my mobile to tell me.

Vodafone admin systems for customers to access things like that could be different.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Apr-20 08:02:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by autopilot:
Am I right in assuming that it doesn’t mater what sim I get?
I'm using a Vodafone voice SIM with 10GB of data in my iPad currently and it has previously been in my MiFi box. I created an account on the vodafone website to manage it, and I can log into that account using the Vodafone app on my phone or tablet.

So Vodafone don't care.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Fri 03-Apr-20 14:32:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That’s what I thought. I have been using Three ‘phone’ SIM for a few years. Just wanted to make sure Voda were playing fair and whether there would be any funny business with traffic shaping. I know they do limit so connections to 10mbps.

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Apr-20 16:17:50
Print Post

See jchamier's post smile. He has done it on Vodafone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Apr-20 19:25:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
See jchamier's post smile. He has done it on Vodafone.

For info, at start of March I renewed my contract for another 12 months. So easily over a year.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to