General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thunderpants
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-20 11:38:04
Print Post

Mobile broadband aerials

[link to this post]

Can anyone recommend a 4g MB omni directional, external preferably aerial that works well?
I see some for £200, and others that seem to be better specced for £20.
What to do...
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Wed 17-Jun-20 14:25:05
Print Post

Re: Mobile broadband aerials

[re: thunderpants] [link to this post]

The cheaper ones do tend to make outrageous claims with the amount of gain they have.

What sort of router/modem are you planning to use? If it has MIMO (generally faster) you'll need a MIMO antenna (2 antennas built into 1 usually that plug into 2 ports on the modem). Or 2 seperate antennas....

My personal experiences with the Poynting antennas has been good but I haven't tried the cheap ebay specials.

Ben
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-20 15:46:12
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

Mines a MIMO I think, Huawei B311. It's not bad but drops now and again and sometimes finds it difficult to connect.
I need an aerial for my camper roof though and Poynting said there's can't be used for that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Wed 17-Jun-20 17:49:46
Print Post

Not quite sure how the B311 will utilise an external antenna with MIMO as it only has one port. Perhaps it still makes use of its internal antenna too... Perhaps it doesn't and it ends up SISO (not MIMO). Better signal but possibly worse throughput.

Not sure why Poynting would say that either. Maybe they know something I don't. I would've thought the OMNI-280 or the likes would have a small improvement in stability. Most of the advantage will come from having it higher so a pole might make it more worthwhile. One you can detach when you're on the move of course.

Ben
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Jun-20 18:04:59
Print Post

I think adding any third-party aerial to a B311 could be iffy. There's only one connector for a start, though how add-ons work I admit I don't know.

Also the socket is female, and the one antenna (actually a pair because that's how they were packaged) that I got just to experiment indoors was also female even though it screwed onto the 311 perfectly.

I was not polite about myself for screwing up! 😎😪😲

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-20 18:19:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well I fixed my solar panels to the roof, and they have remained sturdy even after my sunroof got torn off in a storm in Scotland. so my intention was to fashion a short pole on a plate and use the same stuff to stick the aerial to the high part of the roof, between two of the panels.
I shall look at SISO aerials and see what's around, thanks for the help so far.
  Print Thread

Jump to