General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AceH
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-20 20:00:50
Print Post

Strict NAT type on 4GEE Broadband, any solutions?

[link to this post]

Hi,

So I am currently using the 4GEE Broadband as the internet speeds via fixed broadband is non-existant due to living in the middle of no where. However when I am playing games my NAT Type is STRICT and I am unable to play with my mates on certain games. I have read that this is due to EE using shared IP Addresses or something like that and someone suggested swapping to Three's 4G Network as they give you your own IP Address which would solve the NAT Type issues I am getting on games. Unless there is anyother way to fix this issue with 4GEE, maybe using another router or something? Any help to get this issue fixed will be massively appreciated!

Thank you.
Standard User AceH
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-20 21:35:01
Print Post

Re: Strict NAT type on 4GEE Broadband, any solutions?

[re: AceH] [link to this post]

I just ordered the Billion BiPAC 4500NZ 4G LTE Wireless-N VPN Broadband Router off Amazon and it will be here Thursday. Does anyone know how to setup a L2TP VPN or where I can read how to do it once it is here? Will be nice to finally no longer have a STRICT NAT Type.

Thanks smile
Standard User francisuk25
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-20 23:39:22
Print Post

[re: AceH] [link to this post]

EE 4G/5G and most mobile networks will give you a carrier grade NAT (CGN or CGNAT) so the options are split into two that i can think of.

1) If Three UK mobile broadband SIM is a option, They will give you a public IP so you wont be carrier grade NATed so you can just setup port forwarding to the Xbox or Playstation and have no NAT issue.

2) If EE is the only option then AAISP (Andrews & Arnold) via L2TP https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/ will give you a public IP with 1TB or 2TB of data what is plenty for gaming, I have asked on there IRC in the past if gaming is ok with them for this, Not a problem as this is something i may do when my contract ended.

last option is using an open source dual core router such as openwrt or dd-wrt and using OpenVPN with a VPN provider as many VPN providers offer a publc ip but choice this as a last option

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 Residential 80/20
Mill Hill LWMIL Local Exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 07:41:39
Print Post

[re: francisuk25] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by francisuk25:
EE 4G/5G and most mobile networks will give you a carrier grade NAT (CGN or CGNAT) so the options are split into two that i can think of.

EE tries to provide IPv6, which is fully routable, but that would require the router to support (most phones do now). Also the game, and gaming server would need to support IPv6.

Don't jump to Three, without reading some of the other posts here, and note that Smarty (a three based virtual operator) always has CGNAT.

CGNAT is not going away for IPv4, it is appearing on more wired networks as well, due to the world running out of IPv4 addresses.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 29-Jul-20 09:52:24
Print Post

[re: francisuk25] [link to this post]

I can vouch for AAISP L2TP - I use it with EE to provide public static IPv4 (and IPv6) addresses. It works very well. It does need to reconnect when the EE connection drops every day or two, but most routers that support VPN or L2TP connections should do that automatically.
There are cheaper VPN options, but I haven't tried any, and there can be issues with some services blocking access via VPNs (they assume you are getting around a geo block or up to no good in some other way). With the AAISP service your address appears as just other AAISP customer.
Standard User AceH
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 17:07:40
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Excellent, thank you.

My Billion 4500NZ Router just arrived however it’s asking for some info which I have put in as following which I gathered from my EE Routers Admin Page:

Tel No: *99#
APN: everywhere
Username: eesecure
Password: secure
Pin: LEFT THIS BLANK

It then spends a while configuring and then says EZSO Fail and something about the WAN Port failing

Am I entering any of the details wrong or am I missing something?

Thank you
  Print Thread

Jump to