General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Feb-21 02:06:42
Print Post

Question ?

[link to this post]

A long long time ago i has a EE 4g Router as the Fibre where i live is as much use as a Ashtray on a Motorbike.

Anyway at the time i also went ahead and had the £99 outside Antenna fitted for faster speeds which this did really well but you are restricted to only 5 meters of cable on installation.

But the router had some serious flaws ,mainly giving strict Nat on every single console i own, anyway to cut a long story short i did away with the provided EE router and went with a Nighthawk router and once set up for some strange reason this now gives a Nat as Type 2.

But the downside is im not getting the speeds as the router i have does not have the external antenna sockets so i can hook it up to the outside aerial for the max 4g.

So my question is does anyone know of a decent router that has the same twin aerial sockets on the back which have to be the same sort as the EE router i had some 2 years back.

If i could get a router with this it would improve my speeds greatly ,when using the provided EE equipment with the 2 aerial sockets connected to the outside EE 4G aerial i was getting 80/100 mbps as opposed to the 20 on a good day i get now.

I still have the EE router and i could plug that in but like i said it will give strict Nat where the Netgear for some strange reason does not.

Cheers.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 16:47:16
Print Post

Re: Question ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Your best bets are either to switch to Three or to set up a VPN.
At least, those are my suggestions. If you want other people to reply, try replacing the useless subject line of your post.
Standard User jpm
(member) Sat 13-Feb-21 17:03:23
Print Post

Assuming the router you have is the R7100LG then if you don't mind modifying the casing yourself you could buy some short pigtails to connect whatever external antenna you have to the connectors on the modem. See the internal photos on this page:

https://www.redeszone.net/analisis/routers/nighthawk...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 17:22:06
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

U.FL to SMA pigtails would work well in that situation.

The router case doesn't look to have the meat or real estate on the plastic casing to go much beyond an SMA (female) size connector. Also the external antenna leads typically are equipped with matching SMA male plugs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LPXGJ2I/ref=cm_sw_em_...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:53:20
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

I went with AAISP for this VPN as you stated and there technical support said that for some unknown strange reason this Netgear router did not have the requirements to put in there required settings ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:57:26
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys ,unfortunately i don't know how these would fit on to the Netgear R7100LG.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:59:32
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hoopla:
Your best bets are either to switch to Three or to set up a VPN.
At least, those are my suggestions. If you want other people to reply, try replacing the useless subject line of your post.

Where is the useless you are talking about....
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 14-Feb-21 14:12:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
Thanks for the replies guys ,unfortunately i don't know how these would fit on to the Netgear R7100LG.

Here...

https://postimg.cc/ftmTjGtp

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-21 00:41:29
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks mate but thats not for me, no way I'm taking something apart and i would rather purchase a router with the correct things on the back to be honest.
  Print Thread

Jump to