General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User carlo1460
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 21:48:23
Print Post

Three vs SMARTY 4G speeds - Chester

[link to this post]

Hi there, new here.

Been reading a few of the forums and think it's quite interesting what I see most of the time.

My main call is here is to query opinions or actual testing results in relations to Three vs SMARTY.

Let's face it, Three isn't known for the best network for speed or so I've gathered. I have a SMARTY sim, and the signal was completely rubbish 1 bar at most, then they did some local work on my mast and I now get 4 bars full 4G which is great.

My gripe is I hardly ever get a decent speed, EE was 200+ mbps in my room, and SMARTY gets around 10-15 most of the day, then between 5pm and midnight I might as well just not have a phone as it drops to less than 1mbps.

I did raise this with their complaints team who advised me they are aware of the data degradation on my mast and will be looking to service this to resolve the congestion and do some maintenance at the same time, this will happen on 21/9.

I also asked Three UK Support on twitter about 5g coming to my area as SMARTY live chat are about as useful as a mudflap on a dinghy. They said the 5g equipment was due to be installed in this area by the end of September but looks to have been completed already. We have no 5g signal here, and as yet we aren't part of any gigabit network. and my guess is this would be a requirement to allow this sort of data? We were included as part of CityFibre billion £ investment so fingers crossed this is some time soon!

Anyway, my main query here is, has anybody test SMARTY vs Three in comparison to their 4g network and data speeds at all as I read somewhere that SMARTY only gets part of the network, not the full whack. I have a Three sim but begrudge topping it up just to run some speed checks, but would be willing to swap fully if anyone had any positive feedback on this?

Long read I know, but thought I'd just vent and hopefully get some good responses!

TIA
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 22:16:12
Print Post

Re: Three vs SMARTY 4G speeds - Chester

[re: carlo1460] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by carlo1460:
as yet we aren't part of any gigabit network. and my guess is this would be a requirement to allow this sort of data? We were included as part of CityFibre billion £ investment so fingers crossed this is some time soon!

No, there is no connection between domestic broadband gigabit, and the proper "leased lines" (circuits) that are required for cellular sites. A 5G site is going to require 10 Gigabit link that is symmetric (same speed each way), and backup connections.

Home broadband services are asymetric (different speeds up and down) and a gigabit fibre network is a PON (passive optical network) that has a capacity shared with 32 subscribers.

Mobile masts, especially those getting 5G, and those with lots of 4G capacity, handle hundreds of gigabytes of data per day. You don't share this with other customers.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Sep-20 00:59:54
Print Post

How do you know there is no 5G signal? If it's from a map, I'me not sure how accurate those will be.

I assume you know that Smarty don't have 5G yet anyway?

Re the upgrade for 4G in your area, it sounds like it is simply a backhaul or mast upgrade by Three that is needed. Mine (on Three) was forecast for ages, with crazy texts telling me work was taking place or forecast at places within a few miles and apologising if the work caused disruptions. Nothing at all to do with my mast.

Then a month or so ago my phone suddenly got what Three call 4G+ giving me much higher speeds.

Is your phone 5G capable anyway? (This is why my phone and router speeds differ in my sig, as my router is Three's old one and my phone is a new whizz!) But the nearest Three 5G is eight or nine miles away as far as I know. I keep meaning to drive over there just to see what it's like.

Good luck for the 21st, or soon after.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 09:52:28
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
as yet we aren't part of any gigabit network. and my guess is this would be a requirement to allow this sort of data? We were included as part of CityFibre billion £ investment so fingers crossed this is some time soon!

No, there is no connection between domestic broadband gigabit, and the proper "leased lines" (circuits) that are required for cellular sites. A 5G site is going to require 10 Gigabit link that is symmetric (same speed each way), and backup connections.

You may have misunderstood.

CityFibre does all these. It tends to start with an anchor tenant in a city (e.g. the council) to make a core network. Then they sell leased lines and dark fibre, including connecting cell sites. Then they may decide to build residential FTTP on top of that.

Three has just signed a contract with Cityfibre "to connect an additional 1,300 key mobile masts across 59 towns and cities".

So if there is Cityfibre in your area, it's likely that Three mobile masts will start using Cityfibre backhaul. It won't be the FTTP GPON network, but it will be using their ducts and core network cables.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:38:01
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
So if there is Cityfibre in your area, it's likely that Three mobile masts will start using Cityfibre backhaul. It won't be the FTTP GPON network, but it will be using their ducts and core network cables.

Thanks, I wasn't aware CityFibre and Three had signed. I realise that is how the Openreach, Virgin Media, and Vodafone (former C&W) networks operated, leased lines/circuits being their bread and butter. It makes sense for CityFibre to operate in that market; just wasn't aware they did. Their UK footprint is still small compared to the other trunk networks.

As you guessed, my reply to the OP was along the lines of a PON rather than point-to-point with tough SLA's.

Standard User carlo1460
(newbie) Fri 18-Sep-20 21:29:40
Print Post

I do have a 5G phone and I took the step and set up a three sim, and took a trip to my nearest 5G area which is Bromborough and got speeds of 615mbps down and about 40mbps up on 5G.

Theres definitely no signal here for 5G, I have a Samsung S10 5G.

We dont have cityfibre yet, it was just included in the roll out and work should commence this year.

Smarty offered me a free month for the lack of service, however, having set up the Three payg sim I got the 'exclusive offer' of the unlimited Three sim, 12m, £12pm for 6m and then £24pm which works cheaper overall (and the ability to speak with someone on the phone about any issues, albeit offshore). The twitter Three support team seem very on the ball though.

Smarty have been promising 5G and wifi calling for a while and this is still only in testing stages, only a minority report having the services for whatever reason.

As per other posts, I didnt see much variation in changing the apn between three.co.uk or 3internet, or smarty asm.net apn.

Fingers crossed I dont have too long to wait for 5G to arrive here in Chester.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 22:27:34
Print Post

That is a nice high speed for Three 5G. My neighbouring town has a single mast (in an industrial estate) that is enabled for 5G from three, and two for EE 5G. My town has no 5G, and the 4G speed on Three is about 35 Mbps.

Standard User carlo1460
(newbie) Fri 18-Sep-20 23:27:42
Print Post

Well it was unusual as the signal showed 5G connected with a box around it in the notifications bar, but speed test ookla only showed LTE which gave around 60mbps until the 5G boxed seemed to fill in with colour in the notifications bar and then got pure 5g connectivity hitting the high speeds.

Maybe hang about a bit longer and airplane mode etc. Never seen a phone do it that way before.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Sep-20 10:13:59
Print Post

Never seen a phone do it that way before.

5G today works by your phone being connected to 4G (LTE) and 5G (NR) at the same time. This is known as "non stand alone", and is how the UK is deploying 5G. This may change in the years ahead.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 19-Sep-20 10:34:50
Print Post

For others, as the poster I'm replying to knows that this is one of the reasons completely removing Huawei from 5G is such a problem. So many masts have Huawei 4G.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to