General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Appy
(regular) Fri 25-Sep-20 16:05:27
Print Post

Three page stalling issue

[link to this post]

I thought I'd start a new thread because the other thread is getting a little busy.

The problem I'm investigating is one which causes web pages to be delayed in loading or even fail completely. Often, a page refresh will solve the issue. The problem does not seem to be DNS but seems to be during negotiation of the SSL connection. Once the connection is established, page load times are great.

I'm running a test here in the background which does the following:-

Every 2 seconds, open an SSL connection to news.tweaknews.eu on port 443 and on port 563 and time how long each one takes to establish. The connection is then dropped until the next interval. This data is then put into an rrdtool database and a graph is generated.The important thing to note is that this is the same test to the same server from the same location just different ports. The results I'm getting seem to be representative of what I'm seeing on other servers so I don't think it's just the server that I'm testing.

Results are showing something interesting. The delay times are always 1,3,7,15,31,63, or 127 seconds which implies some sort of exponential backoff on retries or something.

Until today, port 563 was entirely unaffected.

https://www.wheep.co.uk/rrd/latency_240920.png
https://www.wheep.co.uk/rrd/latency_250920.png

I will update this thread with new graphs as they are available. I also intend to switch back to Sky Broadband at some point over the weekend. I'll leave the tests running so we can compare.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Sep-20 18:47:54
Print Post

Re: Three page stalling issue

[re: Appy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Appy:
Until today, port 563 was entirely unaffected.
I wonder if your usage of this port has increased its prominance, and so its been picked up by whatever system they're using.

Do you have any other mobile ISP SIMs that you could do the same test to? (e.g. EE, Vodafone, or O2) ? ?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Sep-20 03:59:51
Print Post

Re: Three page stalling issue

[re: Appy] [link to this post]

Seems a very common issue on 3... no fix for years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to