General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mal123
(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-20 12:30:08
Print Post

4g speeds

[link to this post]

just set up a 4g teltronica router, also fitted an external ariel on the roof, of my parents ,
using giff gaff sim at moment due cost and ease of top up,

the set up is mainly to run Alexa's and occasional factbook portal video chat

what's the best 4g sim to use for speed, just looking for suggestions,

may have to have broadband fitted , but as they only use 2/3 gb a month i don't see the point
Standard User andynormancx
(committed) Sun 25-Oct-20 12:20:27
Print Post

Re: 4g speeds

[re: mal123] [link to this post]

It almost entirely depends on where the networks nearest towers to you are and how heavily loaded they are.

The best 4G SIM for speed is the best one for where you are. Look at the coverage maps from the networks to get a first guess at which might provide the best signal. Get some PAYG SIMs from the best two, test them in your phone.

Be prepared for the situation to change over time. I went with Three to start with, had great speeds. That got worse when Three's network started to have odd capacity issues.

I switched to EE back in July, was back to great speeds again. That gradually got worse over the months from 80-90 down to more than 40 most of the time last month (and sometimes much worse).

But then this month EE has picked back up again for me. Maybe a heavy user in my area switched to another network, got a landline connection or moved...

That said, read through the forum here and you'll see that Three might not be the best first choice (at the moment at least, I'm sure they'll sort out their odd TCP/HTTPS issues over time).
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 13:13:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by mal123:
what's the best 4g sim to use for speed, just looking for suggestions

Are you in a rural area, or in a town or city? Put your location into Cellmapper and change the drop down between the UK's physical networks (EE, Vodafone, Three, O2) and see where the masts are near you.

https://www.cellmapper.net

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Anonymous1337
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-20 11:00:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by mal123:
using giff gaff sim at moment due cost and ease of top up,
Then why not just continue with that? If you're getting >= 5mbps, then that is more than enough for facebook portal etc.

Alternatively go VOXI from Vodafone.
  Print Thread

Jump to