General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User butidontcare
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-21 10:25:12
Print Post

4G router as wired router replacement

[link to this post]

Firstly, I'm close to being a networking illiterate so some of my questions will strike some as naive...

I'm moving house to a location where the best fixed line broadband is 1-3Mbps. I've checked speeds of 3 mobile providers in the area and Vodafone has decent 4G speeds. I'm never likely to have 5G in this location so my search has resolved itself down to the Vodafone 4G Gigacube on a contract or as a Huawei B528 eBay purchase into which I'll put a Vodafone SIM card. However, I'm concerned about the device's networking capabilities. It will be replacing a BT Smart Hub to which I currently connect two NAS drives. Just looking at the back of the two devices (Gigacube vs Smart Hub 6) one looks like a proper router and the other looks like a 'lifestyle' product.

Does the 528/Gigacube do all (or most important) of the router-y things that the Smart Hub does?

1. Can I simply connect two NAS drives and a PC to the Gigacube via a gigabit switch and the Gigacube will give me an instant home network the way the Smart Hub does? There's precious little information available online about what router capabilities the 528/Gigacube has. I found one German comparison site which makes it look very basic. In comparing the 528 networking capabilities to the 525 it says the 528 has 'IPv4 /IPv6 dual stack' alone whereas the 525 has 'NAT, DHCP, VPN, SMS, VoIP, CS Voice, Firewall, DMZ, UPnP, ALG, IPv4 /IPv6 dual stack'. This makes it sound like the 528/Gigacube is little more than a more powerful dongle.

2. Would I be better not taking a Vodafone contract and looking at other devices which are better at networking and then just installing a Vodafone SIM card? The other devices that I'm thinking of are Huawei B535 (the one Three offers but I can't use the Three network), TP-Link Archer MR600 and maybe most interesting of all Mikrotik Chateau LTE12?

3. Would I be better off just using the 528/Gigacube as an internet source and connect it to a proper router to handle networking?

Any advice welcomed.
Standard User Anonymous1337
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-21 17:40:35
Print Post

Re: 4G router as wired router replacement

[re: butidontcare] [link to this post]

My 2c - Getting a Gigacube seems like a waste of money if you're never going to have 5G. Might as well get the best value 4G router with an ethernet jack.

1. Yes
2. Comes down to cost. Add up the total cost of a 24 months contract vs. 30 pound a month on say VOXI (Vodafone) for unlimited data
3. If you're going down the contract route, might as well get a Gigacube, if not, get a 525/535 huawei device. Again, do the math as to the overall cost.

Edited by Anonymous1337 (Fri 15-Jan-21 17:42:03)

(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-21 18:39:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous1337] [link to this post]

Thanks.

It was the 4G Gigacube I was thinking of... although I now see that oddly they offer the 5G one for about the same price as the 4G version so I might just get the 5G one.

I particularly liked your answer to question 1. We networking novices love answers like 'yes' and 'no'.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Isaacie
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-21 22:41:20
Print Post

I have just done the same as a possible replacement for my terrible virgin connection

Only 2 companies offer "mobile broadband" Three and Vodafone. The Vodafone one has speed restrictions on it unless you buy the 5g option so went for a 1 month Three sim.
I also got a TP link MR6400. Its a pretty basic spec but good enough with 4 lan ports and all the usual router options.
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(member) Sat 16-Jan-21 07:15:30
Print Post

Can you get an EE signal in your area? EE do a £25pm 12 month Unlimited 4G only SIM and they usually have good speeds available if you can get a signal.

The B525 will allow an external antenna which may help your reception and speeds. I got 15-20Mbps from my B525 indoors, 20-35 from an Omni antenna outdoors and now get 40-70 from a directional Poynting. The trick with an external antenna is to keep the distance between the antenna and modem as short as possible as the signal is still analogue at that point.

If you would like a recommendation for a directional antenna, the Poynting XPOL2-5G-V3 with 5m SMA leads is the one I would suggest. I know you said you didn't get 5G (and a lot of rural folks won't) but the 5G antenna from Poynting is new tech inside and receives 4G better than the old V2 version did.
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-21 08:23:14
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Thanks. Good suggestion. EE reception is probably as good as Vodafone's. Their tower is shown as being in the same location a Vodafone's and their coverage map claims good 4G coverage. I just haven't tested it. Between my wife and I we have Vodafone, Three and O2 phones but no EE.

Something to think about. I may still go for the Vodafone device. I'm fully expecting whatever solution I choose to not always work as well as it should and I'd rather have a call with a support team that owns every link in the chain.
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-21 08:27:25
Print Post

[re: Isaacie] [link to this post]

Thanks. I see that Vodafone applies data volume restrictions to the 4G Gigacube whereas the 5G has an unlimited contract. Whatever I choose in the end it will have to be unlimited as I have a large and continually growing collection of media files and I use Backblaze as backup.
Standard User Anonymous1337
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-21 09:04:49
Print Post

Go buy a 10 quid EE prepaid sim and do a speed test at 12PM.

If it's good, then get that deal DanielCoffey67 was speaking about.
Standard User rian
(member) Sat 16-Jan-21 09:11:58
Print Post

I was doing the same test for the past one year.

Huawei B535 +Vodafone unlimited 4G sim.

My experience is:

1. Speed is good in my location (30-50Mbps).

2. If you have any game console (XBOX, PS5, etc) or VPN or DDNS services, better consider Three mobile sim. All other networks are running on Strict NAT protocal, which means many services will be restricted.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 16-Jan-21 10:57:49
Print Post

[re: Anonymous1337] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous1337:
Go buy a 10 quid EE prepaid sim and do a speed test at 12PM.

If it's good, then get that deal DanielCoffey67 was speaking about.

Would he only propose to use the internet once a day at 12pm wink

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to