General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Simon_Matthews
(newbie) Sat 27-Feb-21 16:33:18
Print Post

Android Wi-Fi tests slower in browser than in speed test app

[link to this post]

I have Virgin 108Mb broadband. It tests at 108Mb/s on both desktop ethernet and laptop Wi-Fi. It also tests at 108Mb/s on my mobile through a speed test app. But the problem occurs when I test the speed though any browser on mobile. When I start the test it seems to start at full speed (around 100Mb/s) but only momentarily, then the speed quickly drops down through the test until it reaches about 30Mb/s. If I test it a second time, the speed starts slow then increases but only reaches around 19Mb/s.

I have a Huawei Honor 7.

Any ideas what's happening here?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Mar-21 09:52:22
Print Post

Re: Android Wi-Fi tests slower in browser than in speed test

[re: Simon_Matthews] [link to this post]

That phone is getting on a bit, I would guess that maybe the processor is having issues when using the browser version of the speed test - or perhaps you have a virus checker or similar running that is hampering the speeds.
Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 12:57:18
Print Post

Is it causing you issues?

Don't worry too much about speeds on your phone so long as its a useable Internet connection...

You've proven theres nowt wrong with your connection as desktop/laptop and phone app give correct speed output.

Could be the browser you're using (or any addins running in that browser) taking up more RAM/CPU when the test runs.

Regards,
Haydn

Edited by haydnwalker (Mon 01-Mar-21 12:57:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 13:41:55
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

Pages take longer to open. The one website where this is really noticeable is worldometers.com (for the Coronavirus stats). That page takes forever to load on my phone, around 1 minute compared to under 5 seconds on my desktop.

I guess there is some process slowing it down, maybe one of the Huawei apps that came with the phone or something to do with the browser as you say.
(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 13:47:52
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

OK, thanks. To make things stranger, I tried a few different website speed tests yesterday and I got mixed results, ranging from as slow as 3Mb/s to as fast as 86Mb/s. The ones that tested fast tended to remain quite fast in subsequent tests and the ones that tested slow remained slow. Google's gave me slow results fairly consistently.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Tue 02-Mar-21 18:52:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Simon_Matthews:
OK, thanks. To make things stranger, I tried a few different website speed tests yesterday and I got mixed results, ranging from as slow as 3Mb/s to as fast as 86Mb/s. The ones that tested fast tended to remain quite fast in subsequent tests and the ones that tested slow remained slow. Google's gave me slow results fairly consistently.
The Worldometers coronavirus page does a lot of scripting to include all the numbers by country.
It may be that your phone or your browser is slow (which browser are you using on your phone?), or that the latency is an issue, or maybe an antivirus or adblocker is slowing it.
It takes four seconds to load on my laptop, fifteen on my phone, but less than three seconds on Firefox Nightly on my phone. It was loaded faster than I could scroll down.
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 20:50:29
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

I mainly use Google but I've tried Opera and now Firefox Nightly. Worldometers took ages on Firefox Nightly too. Most of the page loads up but I have to wait a long time for the table data to load.

I'll double-check for antivirus apps and adblockers. Thanks.
  Print Thread

Jump to