Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User agaskew
(regular) Thu 23-Apr-09 12:40:17
Print Post

Thomson WDS Set up

[link to this post]

My ADSL router is a THOMSON TG585 . I have managed to acquire a second THOMSON TG585, exactly the same model.
Looking through the WLAN settings/help pages on the router itself, it is possible to enable and set up WDS (Wireless Distribution System) on these, as long as they use the same channel and security key.

I was hoping I could therefore use the second wireless router as a means to extend the wireless range through the house.

Has anyone done this, and got it working?

I assume (maybe wrong) that I need to enable WDS on both routers and discover/enable each rotuer on the other one, if that makes sense?

The only drawback I see is this line in the help file "Only WEP is supported with WDS, not WPA". frown

So far, each router can see the other and all settings are the same. WDS is enabled on both sides. However, once a wireless PC has connected to router 2, any internet access fails and the standard page "yourDSL connection is down" is displayed. WDS doesn't seem to be mentioned in the user guide at all.

Thanks hopefully.
Standard User TimJ
(member) Sun 26-Apr-09 10:54:24
Print Post

Re: Thomson WDS Set up

[re: agaskew] [link to this post]

I have WDS setup using a 585 as my main router and an Apple Airport Express as the remote WDS extending the wireless range. It has been running very successfully for a couple of years.

As you say you need the same SSID, manually set channel and WEP key.

I think your problem is that each WDS station has to be setup to be a main base station, remote base station or a relay. The airport express has options to set this up in the GUI but the 585 does not and both yours will be defaulting to main base station mode. I expect it is possible using the CLI, but you will need to be considerably better than me to sort out how.

A remote WDS does not have an IP address, does not act as a DHCP server and knows to forward wireless data onto the main WDS station.

Sorry no real solution but maybe pointing you in the correct direction.

Good Luck

Tim.
Standard User agaskew
(regular) Sat 02-May-09 12:09:47
Print Post

[re: TimJ] [link to this post]

Tim, thanks for your reply. I agree that the second router seems to be operating as a main base station as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-May-09 14:01:27
Print Post

[re: agaskew] [link to this post]

Hi, maybe you could configure the second Thompson router as the wireless access point to extend the range.

http://i.dslr.net/pics/faqs/image93081.jpg

http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-ga...

http://www.firenet.co.uk
Firenet BT MAX 8Mbps. Sync 8128 Kbps. Exchange DSLAM=TSTC=Texas Instruments.
3Com 3CRWDR100A-72-UK ADSL2/2+ modem/router uses Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 Dual SSID ADSL2+ wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Jun-09 01:49:31
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hi Tim,

I am trying to extend my wireless network (O2 Wireless Box III) with an Apple AirPort, but I get a "The network you selected cannot be extended" message in the Airport Utility when I try to set it up.

From your post I understand it might be possible. Could you provide more information how to set up the Thomson router and the AirPort?

Many thanks
Standard User TimJ
(member) Fri 26-Jun-09 22:43:56
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Its been a long time so some of the following may be lacking details and I don't currently have the Apple config utility installed. But here goes.

Leave the Airport turned off and connect to the Thompson router. Setup the wireless to a fixed wireless channel and 64bit WEP security (128bit WEP might be OK?). make a note of the SSID network Key Wireless channel and MAC Address.

Now turn on and factory reset the Airport express. Use the Config utility and connect to the Airport. Choose the option something like "Extend an existing network", setup the same SSID, channel and security settings. I am pretty sure that you also have to enter the MAC address of the Thompson somewhere. Also make sure that DHCP is turned off. When all is set up and you Apply these settings the Airport will reboot and try to connect using WDS to the Thompson.

You now have to connect your PC browser back to the Thompson. It is probably easiest to use an network cable to directly connect to the Thompson. Go to the WDS setup page and hit the "search for wireless acces points". the Airport should show up so connect to it and all should be setup.

Let me know if you need further details, if need be I can install the apple Config utility and go through it again.

Tim.
Standard User rblon
(newbie) Sat 27-Jun-09 18:56:29
Print Post

The problem is that I can't find a "WDS set-up" page when I go to web interface of my O2 wireless box III (Thomson TG585n), even though I log in as SuperUser. Am I overlooking it, or is it perhaps because I am using O2 firmware? In the latter case, is there anything I can do about that?

Edited by rblon (Sat 27-Jun-09 19:33:39)

Standard User TimJ
(member) Mon 29-Jun-09 00:36:12
Print Post

[re: rblon] [link to this post]

On the standard thompson firmware it can be found

From home page
Hit Wireless under Home Network (bottom centre of page)
Hit configure Top left of page
Configure WDS is at the bottom of the page.

WDS can also be setup from the command line interface (telnet).

i have no idea if any of the above is relevant to the O2 firmware.

Tim
Standard User Deadbeat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jun-09 11:03:40
Print Post

[re: rblon] [link to this post]

For the O2 585v7 it's:
Home Network>WLAN>Configure and right at the bottom of the page, Configure WDS.

You might need SuperUser access.
Standard User rblon
(newbie) Mon 29-Jun-09 19:37:59
Print Post

thanks for the reply.
My web interface doesn't mention WDS (even logged in as SuperUser).
Now, when I use telnet there is a "wireless->wds" menu, but when I try "config", I get the message: "The wireless interface is currently disabled, configuration is not possible now".
Not sure (yet) if this is because of O2 firmware disabling WDS or because of another reason. If I get it to work, what would need to be done to enable WDS?
Also, i guess it might be an idea to put standard Thomson firmware on it, but I don't have any experience with putting on new firmware. Any tips for that?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to