Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 26-Feb-19 14:10:08
Print Post

Single BT WH wi-fi disk use without ethernet link?

[link to this post]

I have a bit of a not spot upstairs and despite my efforts with an extender it doesn't seem to be cutting it and isn't as strong as I'd like

I've seen the BT wi-fi dishes and want to put one on a table on one of the stair landings which has a lamp on it (it's a dogleg staircase)

My router is a Fritzbox but in all of the instructions it seems to suggest you have to maintain a wired link to the first dish, is this the case or can I set it up and then move the dish to where I want it on the stairs?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 3490
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Feb-19 18:53:03
Print Post

Re: Single BT WH wi-fi disk use without ethernet link?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
My router is a Fritzbox but in all of the instructions it seems to suggest you have to maintain a wired link to the first dish, is this the case or can I set it up and then move the dish to where I want it on the stairs?
Do you think the dish instructions are wrong? You could have two dishes one next to your router. Only one has to have the wired connection.

Michael Chare
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 26-Feb-19 19:20:54
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hi Michael

Thanks for responding.

Ideally what I'm trying to do is just buy one of the dishes/disks, set it up while wired and then move it to where I want it witout needing to maintain the wired connection.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 3490
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jax2
(member) Tue 26-Feb-19 20:22:45
Print Post

I am afraid that is not how they work. The first dish has to be connected to your router by cable and essentially replaces the wireless from your router (best to turn off your routers wireless) the second dish would then be placed in another area of your house where it can still receive a good signal from the first dish which it then propagates further.
In my case I have a third dish in an area where no wireless signal can reach (thick walls and lots of iron in the way) but it is connected back to the router by using an ethernet cable from a homeplug. It all works very well and gives me seamless wifi throughout the property.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Feb-19 22:35:25
Print Post

I tried the BT Complete WiFi and found the range no better than a D-Link AC1200 device I have.

It comes into its own when you have multiple disks dotted all over.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 27-Feb-19 16:33:26
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Hi

What I would suggest is biting the bullet and getting a centrally located ceiling mounted access point installed. Of course this depends on whether you can (i.e. not a rented property).

The high up position improves coverage and being central(ish) in the property means even coverage in all directions. Draw a straight line in your minds eye from where you are needing a signal to where the Wi-Fi point is currently, how many walls does it travel through? Are those walls brick or breeze block? Now image the Wi-Fi access point is mounted high up central in your house and draw the same line in your minds eye. This time you will find you are going through a ceiling to reach the access point, ceilings are usually wood and plaster board, a much easier path.

We did this in our house and the difference it makes is night and day, there simply is no need for repeaters for most sized houses in the UK provided the Wi-Fi access point is mounted optimally.

With Power over Ethernet options you just need to run an Ethernet wire up into the loft. You can get access points that blend in like a smoke alarm, it is then out the way, and allows you to swap out your other equipment whenever you like knowing Wi-Fi is going to be unaffected by the changes.

Throwing mesh networks and repeaters at the problem might be a more simple thing, but often they don't work as well as advertised, will cause a reduction in throughput to run the Wi-Fi repeater links between stations, and cost a lot of money. A bit of pain installing a centrally mounted access point in the ceiling will take a bit more effort at the onset, but is the better solution that will keep on giving. You'll use less power as well running just one access-point, and it can easily be upgraded when new Wi-Fi tech comes out without having to replace your entire router.

Regards

Phil
Standard User brookheather
(regular) Wed 27-Feb-19 20:55:21
Print Post

The Netgear Nighthawk 1900 extender is currently reduced to only £69 at Amazon so might be worth trying?
Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 04:12:35
Print Post

For improving range to somewhere I need it, my quick and dirty solution is to use powerline adapters, and a step up if it is available is to use moca adapters.

Once you have these in place to established a 'wired' connection to your dead spot, put any access point there and the dead spot is filled. smile
Standard User radar
(regular) Wed 13-Mar-19 07:58:20
Print Post

[re: SamirD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SamirD:
For improving range to somewhere I need it, my quick and dirty solution is to use powerline adapters, and a step up if it is available is to use moca adapters.

Once you have these in place to established a 'wired' connection to your dead spot, put any access point there and the dead spot is filled. smile

And the main word in this is "DIRTY"

They create untold problems for anybody that wants to listen to licensed radio broadcast stations !!

https://www.ban-plt.org.uk/

Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 16:22:29
Print Post

[re: radar] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by radar:
In reply to a post by SamirD:

And the main word in this is "DIRTY"

They create untold problems for anybody that wants to listen to licensed radio broadcast stations !!

https://www.ban-plt.org.uk/
Great additional information. I didn't know that these interfere with radio.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to