Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User asus11111
(newbie) Tue 16-Apr-19 22:54:51
Print Post

Asus DSL ac68u with sse broadband

[link to this post]

Hi guys...I can't connect to internet again...I try to upload a movie with my problem
Standard User asus11111
(newbie) Tue 16-Apr-19 23:13:41
Print Post

Re: Asus DSL ac68u with sse broadband

[re: asus11111] [link to this post]

https://youtu.be/JRS18-b6sWs

So ...what I do wrong...last time I think I use same way and was ok...but now I try many times and it's not work

Edited by asus11111 (Tue 16-Apr-19 23:15:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Apr-19 23:43:12
Print Post

Is the DSL signal LED on, and what does the status pages of the modem pages say?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User asus11111
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-19 00:08:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

its work now....i dont know how...but its ok now...

1st of april i join to sse for phone and broadband

every person from sky,bt,sse they said i should get up to 49 mb/s in my home

on sse website was 2 fibre deals
1.up to 38mb/s
2.up to 48mb/s

so i choose 2 deal...till now was 3 guys from open reach to check why my speed is slower than should be...and they said 36 mb/s is maximum in my home

i should get between 29-49mb/s

so for last 2 weeks i use sse router to make my speed stable... i use 192.168.1.1 and i monitored the speed

so for the first days was 36mb/s than was 42mb/s after few days was 35 mb/s than 44mb/s last two days was 36mb/s and today is 43mb/s

the speed is jumping why is like that...thats fibre optic...speed should be stable all the time
Standard User asus11111
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-19 00:13:57
Print Post

38mb/s cost 35 pounds
48mb/s cost 40 pounds

i want to keep that faster deal but if i cant get right why pay more for less

and because sse router has bad signal in my home i use asus router back
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Apr-19 02:40:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by asus11111:
the speed is jumping why is like that...thats fibre optic...speed should be stable all the time

The DSL-AC68U is a notoriously unstable router for dsl lines, probably the worst router you can use. This is all down to the horrible Mediatek modem chipset it uses. If you want to stick with Asus, then use the DSL-AC88U instead otherwise something like the TP link VR2800 or VR900 is your best bet. I would bin the 68u asap otherwise you may find the FTTC DLM kicking in and capping your speed permanently....

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-19 09:35:07
Print Post

The speeds you say that is jumping around are these speed test results e.g. from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

OR

the connection speeds as reported by the router.

On your comment "...thats fibre optic...speed should be stable all the time"

Remember no one arrived at your house to install a new piece of fibre optic cable, the signal is still arriving over the same copper phone line as you used before. If you have upgraded from ADSL2+ to VDSL2 (FTTC) then the amount of phone line involved will have reduced.

Irrespective of the connection medium though, if you are posting about speed test results, even full fibre is still subject to variations in throughput for a number of reasons.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 17-Apr-19 11:04:40
Print Post

You could use your Asus router as a wi-fi access point and use the SSE one to connect to the internet. Switch the Wi-fi off on your SSE and connect both routers via ethernet.

It may be as simple as plug and play, but there may be some set up requirements you have to do manually. Might be a whole process in fact. Have been using a similar set up for years.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-19 11:12:09
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

The Asus firmware on their routers usually has an access point mode to make things simpler

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 17-Apr-19 11:18:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That is true. May be a relatively simple process.
  Print Thread

Jump to