Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-19 14:54:35
Print Post

using the hg612 to use pppoe

[link to this post]

Pre-amble
/*
I'm currently experiencing ppp disconnects. I've tried 3 wifi routers (one seems to keep the connection for 3 days but i don't want to use that particular device - because of the limited facilities)

But to rule out my devices having issues i may need to use that particular router for a longer period.
*/

Anyways my current set up is the hg612 in modem mode and a tp-link archer c2 connecting via pppoe (obviously) and acting as dhcp server.

I can see the 612 can log in via pppoe but how do i set things up so that the 612 just does the modem and pppoe connection and the archer just does the router/wifi/firewall stuff?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Jun-19 16:29:30
Print Post

Re: using the hg612 to use pppoe

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Maybe I am not understanding you say

"Anyways my current set up is the hg612 in modem mode and a tp-link archer c2 connecting via pppoe (obviously) and acting as dhcp server. "

Which is a description of a device working in modem mode the HG612 and another device working as the router.

The router has to do the PPPoE connection to be given the IP address for router capability. If the PPPoE is dropping but the VDSL2 is staying up the it may be the ISP is dropping the sessions. The device doing the PPPoE is the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Jun-19 16:44:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Taras:
how do i set things up so that the 612 just does the modem and pppoe connection and the archer just does the router/wifi/firewall stuff?

The HG612 should already be doing that in default mode, however if itís not just do a factory reset on it. The PPPoE credentials can then be entered on the archer or any other suitable router. Couldnít be easier smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-19 17:11:40
Print Post

I can see the 612 can log in via pppoe but how do i set things up so that the 612 just does the modem and pppoe connection and the archer just does the router/wifi/firewall stuff?

If you want the 612 to do the PPPoE login it will also have to do the routing. You could end up with double NAT. Not a good thing. Leave the PPPoE on the Archer.

Is your 612 unlocked? I use an ASUS router and used a 612 for years, replaced it in January with a Zyxel.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Fri 14-Jun-19 17:12:19)

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-19 17:41:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

If you want the 612 to do the PPPoE login it will also have to do the routing. You could end up with double NAT. Not a good thing. Leave the PPPoE on the Archer.

Is your 612 unlocked? I use an ASUS router and used a 612 for years, replaced it in January with a Zyxel.

Yes its unlocked - i have seen https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11640.0 .. but its messy.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-19 17:50:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If the PPPoE is dropping but the VDSL2 is staying up the it may be the ISP is dropping the sessions

I used to have long session times with the 612 and archer, now its anywhere between 1 hour and 17. PN requested me to try other routers which i have done ..

Done
hg612 and archer c2 - short ppp sessions
eci modem and archer c2 - short ppp sessions

I have a horrid (as in terms of lack of features) a western digital mynet n900c combi storage wifi/router thing .. that has kept the connection alive.

The line did have a battery fault - which is now cleared. Pn wants to send out an engineer and as that might result in a charge if they can't find anything wrong - i just want exhaust that final avenue before engineer or a new router.

As i'm on 14 to 18mbits getting a new router now is something i wish to hold off given fttp should be with me with in the next 12 months (taken with a pinch of salt) .
  Print Thread

Jump to