Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Sep-19 23:21:20
Print Post

Network Woes...

[link to this post]

This is not related to my previous post re Win10 network compatibility.

Up until a thunderstorm a few weeks ago, my network and connected equipment was fine and stable. Then a few loud bangs overnight, no direct hits luckily, but seems that induced voltages caused some havoc.

First I will explain my network, which is wired with CAT5. In 2002 when we renovated the house, had rewired and the CAT5 cables run in. Decided to have the BT NTE5 located in the roof space, it was fully boarded and the BT Engineer was happy. Internal telephone cables also terminated nearby along with a CallSign switch for a separate Fax number. The then modem router with built in VoIP was located there also. A single CAT5 cable to a 16-way switch in our home office downstairs with RJ45 sockets located around the house. In the garage a single CAT5 connection to a 4-way switch to accommodate a pc on my workbench and other options. In a spare upstairs room another 4-way switch from a single CAT5 to accommodate a network connected printer (OKI5200n), a pc and a SDR radio receiver. Connected directly to the 16-way switch:- 2 pc's a network connected printer (Brother HL-5470DW) an Apple Airport Express (WiFi from the router very weak in the home office) and a Kinetic SBS1 Mode-S /ADS-B receiver (this to directly receive aircraft Mode-S & ADS-B transponder transmissions.

Eventually when FTTC arrived, a BT Modem, a Billion router and a Cisco PAP2T directly connected to it for the VoIP number. A couple of BT modems later, the Billion Router failed and I purchased a DrayTek Vigor 2762ac

All the above quite happily co-existed.

Then the thunderstorm...

The PAP2T failed, just a rattling hiss when the telephone lifted. No internet to any pc, no communication from pcs to printers. Strangely, the WiFi from the router was operational which enabled me to use a USB wireless dongle for my main pc.

Bought and fitted a new Modem Router, another 2762 and a Cisco SPA112.
All seemed Ok, and then my pc lost contact with the Brother Printer (my wife's pc had already failed and was disconnected) however still had connection to the SPA112 for VoIP the SBS1 and SDR radio receiver.

Found that the Brother's IP had gone to 169.254.249.120 whereas previously was in the 192.168. series. Then the OKI IP did similar and jumped to 169.254.173.44 previously was 192.168.1.3

The SPA112 is on a static 192.168.1.13 and the SDR radio on 192.168.1.18 and the SBS1 192.168.1.170

I am totally out of my depth here, but DHCP issues come to mind, but where to start?

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Sep-19 09:23:05
Print Post

Re: Network Woes...

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

It does indeed look like your devices currently on 169.254.x.x aren't getting an IP address from the DHCP server. I presume that the Draytek is running DHCP.

I would suggest unplugging one of the printers that's not getting an address and moving it directly next to the new router and using a known good ethernet cable to see if the expected ethernet link lights come on at the router and the device gets an IP address.

If it doesn't, it would suggest that the ethenet port on the printer has been affected. If it gets an IP address, it's likely to be the switch the printer connects to that has been zapped. My gut feeling is that the cabling is likely to be OK but a cable tester at each end of a run might be a useful test.

Good luck!

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Sep-19 10:53:14
Print Post

Out of interest why did you buy a Cisco SPA112 when itís more or less obselete? I think the last firmware update on it was in 2015 and it may even be classed as EoL by Cisco. Personally I would have gone for a more modern ATA such as the Grandstream HT802. Iím using the single port HT801 and it works flawlessly.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 07-Sep-19 10:55:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Sep-19 10:59:19
Print Post

I'd agree with Sarah. The 169.x.x.x addresses just show that DHCP isn't being received in software.

You need to simplify and test each component to see if you have physical connectivity using the link lights, and then isolate to any broken component.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 23:03:42
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Initially after the failure I was looking for a PAP2T on the basis that it would be a simple swap of unit and same settings. Availability seemed poor, so guessed that the SPA112 was the up to date equivalent. PAP2Ts being shown as Cisco or Linksys, so went with something that I thought I might know. Not very clever really, but setting up was fairly simple, despite my VoIP supplier being Draytel and
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/t/4428846-cis...

So far it is working fine, including CallerDisplay, however I just hope that the SPA112 is not the cause of my woes!

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 23:04:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Makes sense. Have a read of what I just sent Sarah.

Cheers!

Clive

Print Thread

Jump to