Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sat 22-Feb-20 22:54:34
Print Post

Strange device name

[link to this post]

My Cisco SG300 switch is the last item listed in the list of clients on my Asus RT-AC68U router but for some reason the client name has come up as VSN Systemem BV

I've googled the name but nothing conclusive comes up. I'm at a loss as to why my router is reporting the switch as above.
Standard User clyde123
(member) Sun 23-Feb-20 09:00:31
Print Post

Re: Strange device name

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Here we go : developers of telephony systems and other work. https://www.vsnsystemen.nl/
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 13:14:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by joconnell:
I'm at a loss as to why my router is reporting the switch as above.
Name on the front (Cisco) is not necessarily the company that made it. Cisco could have designed it, and outsourced manufacture. Very common in the I.T. industry.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 23-Feb-20 13:14:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:26:04
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
Here we go : developers of telephony systems and other work. https://www.vsnsystemen.nl/

Thanks, I did come across a page but it was all in Dutch and so couldn't understand it, but looked at it on my phone which offered to translate it. Guess I coulda used Google translate...
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:29:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I'm at a loss as to why my router is reporting the switch as above.
Name on the front (Cisco) is not necessarily the company that made it. Cisco could have designed it, and outsourced manufacture. Very common in the I.T. industry.
I should've mentioned that it was previously listed as Cisco Systems in the router client listing but only recently was listed as per my OP

The only recent change to the router was to upgrade from quite an old version of Merlin to the then latest version and the firmware was downloaded from the official Merlin DL site.

Edited by joconnell (Sun 23-Feb-20 17:29:43)

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Mon 24-Feb-20 00:40:26
Print Post

Yeah I use the Small Business series extensively, and for the SG300/350/500/550 their hostname only ever reports as either a factory default switchblaaah or a hostname set in the administrative interface.

You might want to check on the router whether the MAC address of the listed device actually matches the Cisco MAC and look it up on a HWADDRESS type site too. The router might be reporting old information some other client that historically had either the same lease or else the same factory default IP and is mixing them up.

The only reason I would think to see an unexpected hostname is if sold pre-owned (or opened and returned) without being factory reset.

prlzx on iDNET: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)

Edited by prlzx (Mon 24-Feb-20 00:43:03)

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 24-Feb-20 09:00:58
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
Yeah I use the Small Business series extensively, and for the SG300/350/500/550 their hostname only ever reports as either a factory default switchblaaah or a hostname set in the administrative interface.

You might want to check on the router whether the MAC address of the listed device actually matches the Cisco MAC and look it up on a HWADDRESS type site too. The router might be reporting old information some other client that historically had either the same lease or else the same factory default IP and is mixing them up.

The only reason I would think to see an unexpected hostname is if sold pre-owned (or opened and returned) without being factory reset.

The client list on the router only ever showed the default switch name that you've described (and I haven't bothered changing it) until recently. The only change to the router was when I updated the Merlin firmware.
Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-20 18:20:13
Print Post

There is probably a way to adjust the name in the switch and so that's what that is--not different than the name on a computer. I bet if you factory defaulted the switch it would say something else.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 24-Feb-20 18:45:53
Print Post

[re: SamirD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SamirD:
There is probably a way to adjust the name in the switch and so that's what that is--not different than the name on a computer. I bet if you factory defaulted the switch it would say something else.

I've changed the name of the switch but it's made no difference. However, if I use the network scanning I have installed on my iPhone, it reports the switch hostname to be it's default name (i.e. switch1234ABF or whatever), so not sure what's going on there. I suspect the odd name of the switch in the Asus router's client list is down to the router mis-reporting something.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Feb-20 19:08:15
Print Post

I suspect the odd name of the switch in the Asus router's client list is down to the router mis-reporting something.

Either with Merlin's version or the Asus original, youll find a lot of Asus knowledgeable people on SNBforums.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to