Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User intacepta
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-21 16:56:37
Print Post

Vigor Draytek 2860n vs TalkTalk Sagecom 5364

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,

I am trying to find more technical specifications for the TalkTalk Sagecom 5364 router, but not able to find out the max throughput of the router.

For my current setup, I have the following :

TalkTalk Fibre VDSL2 FTTC.
Talk Talk Sagecom 5364 router
24 port (Gigabit) GS1900 Zyxel switch
3x Ubiquity WIFI APs

I am relying on the 3x Ubiquity APs for WIFI access, so the WIFI performance of the routers are irrelevant. I have only one uplink to the Sagecom router from my wired switch.

Please let me know, should I replace the Sagecom router with the Vigor Draytek ? Would you? if so why?

Many thanks in advance.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-21 17:11:31
Print Post

Re: Vigor Draytek 2860n vs TalkTalk Sagecom 5364

[re: intacepta] [link to this post]

The Draytek is far more configurable, both from the point of view of networking and security. It probably has a slower throughput of about 300Mbps max than the TalkTalk supplied router but that won't be an issue on FTTC with a separate switch and access points.

The reason to replace the TalkTalk router is if you find it unstable or you need better security and networking options.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User PhilHornby
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-21 19:38:11
Print Post

The Vigor 2860n is pretty old now - it's considered a 'legacy' product by Draytek (though I'm still using mine!)

The current replacement would probably be the 2862, though a lesser 2762 might suffice.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Sat 16-Jan-21 20:08:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by intacepta:
Afternoon all,

I am trying to find more technical specifications for the TalkTalk Sagecom 5364 router, but not able to find out the max throughput of the router.

For my current setup, I have the following :

TalkTalk Fibre VDSL2 FTTC.
Talk Talk Sagecom 5364 router
24 port (Gigabit) GS1900 Zyxel switch
3x Ubiquity WIFI APs

I am relying on the 3x Ubiquity APs for WIFI access, so the WIFI performance of the routers are irrelevant. I have only one uplink to the Sagecom router from my wired switch.

Please let me know, should I replace the Sagecom router with the Vigor Draytek ? Would you? if so why?

Many thanks in advance.

I would consider the UniFi Security Gateway or maybe a EdgeRouter if you are using Ubiquiti WiFi access points and throw in a HG613b from eBay as a modem, or you might be able to put one of the TalkTalk things into bridge mode.
Standard User FarmerStuart
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-21 11:43:55
Print Post

I currently run a Draytek 2862 at home and have always been happy with it so in answer to your question is yes personally I would make the swap but the big questions are what prompted you to ask and what are you looking to achieve?

I’d consider the two routers to be in different classes, a quick look online suggests the Sagemcom router to be a fairly standard domestic grade router whereas the Draytek is more aimed at small business users. I chose it because of this as I wanted the multiple WAN ports, VPN termination, QoS, support for 4G dongles etc but these might not be of any interest to you in which case I’m not sure I’d see the point in changing a working setup unless there is a problem with the existing router.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 18-Jan-21 17:19:13
Print Post

[re: FarmerStuart] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FarmerStuart:
I currently run a Draytek 2862 at home and have always been happy with it so in answer to your question is yes personally I would make the swap but the big questions are what prompted you to ask and what are you looking to achieve?

I’d consider the two routers to be in different classes, a quick look online suggests the Sagemcom router to be a fairly standard domestic grade router whereas the Draytek is more aimed at small business users. I chose it because of this as I wanted the multiple WAN ports, VPN termination, QoS, support for 4G dongles etc but these might not be of any interest to you in which case I’m not sure I’d see the point in changing a working setup unless there is a problem with the existing router.

As a 2862 user with the Vac version, it is noted the router is no longer available. So what is its replacement with a built in ATA?
Standard User FarmerStuart
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-21 17:51:09
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
As a 2862 user with the Vac version, it is noted the router is no longer available. So what is its replacement with a built in ATA?

The Draytek website has a 2865Vac which I assume is the new version but I can't see anyone that is selling them yet.
In hindsight I should have got one with LTE built in but I got the basic non wireless version as I already had APs in place and didn't need 4G at that point.
Standard User nofappingway
(newbie) Tue 30-Mar-21 12:12:30
Print Post

[re: FarmerStuart] [link to this post]

I have the Draytek 2865ac to run my FTTP symmetrical gigabit connection from Hey!Broadband.

As I run my own services on my connection (private cloud, LAN-to-LAN VPNs +more) it gives me a highly configurable network device to achieve the flexibility with security that I need.

Sure your 2860 will work fine but if all you're going to do is use it as a basic NAT router with WiFi, its completely overkill.
  Print Thread

Jump to